DVDVR Message Board

The 2014 NBA Finals

Dolfan in NYC

The NBA has spent the last twenty years expanding their talent pool across the planet. And if you think the majority of those kids in American ghettos think they're getting out by playing football, you're crazy.

The number of "Great" players... I'll just go ahead and defer to you on this, because there's no way we're getting into a debate on whether the top players in either era are better than another in this thread because that can be like 50+ posts of us doing stat comparisons and boring bullshit analysis.  Which is all fine in another thread, but this one is nominally about the Heat & Spurs killing each other for the next two weeks. 

It was clearly a different era, and a harder one to play in.  The athletes are more skilled now, but fewer of the players we see now will be listed as all time greats, compared to the 80's and 90's.  I've said before that many of today's teams would not be able to handle playing late 80's NBA.  The list of teams Jordan and Kareem had to go through FAR outweigh the teams that someone like Lebron had to go through.  It's not his fault that the East has been a cakewalk for every one of his trips to the Finals, but it doesn't change the fact that he hasn't been challenged outside of the Finals.

Yeah I'm sure we've had this debate before but generally we like to think new is always new and improved.  Makes us feel special.  I'm not sure that's the case with the NBA. 

Anyway, where's our daily Tony Parker update?  Will he be fine by next month when the Finals start?

RA's right in that the depth of the East since he moved to the Heat has pretty much given the Heat a free ride to the Finals every year and even then, there was a huge possibility they could have lost that series with the Pacers last year. This doesn't help arguments for LeBron being the best, but I also can't say it hurts him.

I just hate the talking point now of "LEBRON LEAD HIS TEAM TO THE FINALS FOUR TIMES NOW." Well, it's not like it was hard to in the East.

• Like 1

RA's right in that the depth of the East since he moved to the Heat has pretty much given the Heat a free ride to the Finals every year and even then, there was a huge possibility they could have lost that series with the Pacers last year. This doesn't help arguments for LeBron being the best, but I also can't say it hurts him.

I just hate the talking point now of "LEBRON LEAD HIS TEAM TO THE FINALS FOUR TIMES NOW." Well, it's not like it was hard to in the East.

If it were easy, anyone could do it.  For everyone that overpraises, there's someone who overpisses (that doesn't really make sense, but I'm going with it).  At least don't miss the toilet, OK?

Paul George looked sharp after Game 6.  Was that Armani?  No!  That was a paternity suit!

First things first.. the big men are dead. Timmy is about the last true post threat and a Guy who can excel at both ends. There are more talented point guards then ever but how many of them have led their team to a title. Its just different now... see how many 6'10" guys can't rebound or play defense...its weird. I'm not sure which era was most talented but I would say overall the conferences used to be more equal. The east just sucks.. and has sucked for over a decade.

The NBA has spent the last twenty years expanding their talent pool across the planet. And if you think the majority of those kids in American ghettos think they're getting out by playing football, you're crazy.

For sure star basketball player is still more prestigious. Commercially as well. I'm curious if Allen Iverson would give more thought to playing in the NFL now that we've moved out of the dark ages with attitudes towards quarterbacks if he were coming up today. 

My only hope for this years finals is that it goes 7 again. Need something to fill in that time waiting for the draft. NFL minicamp reports aren't enough. Though the World Cup will help if not. Curious if the Heat will be able to turn it on. Looks like a lot of the drop from 66-54 wins this year is age related.

The east just sucks.. and has sucked for over a decade.

And yet, the West is 5-5 over the last 10 years. 

So? Nobody has ever said the East didn't have some very good or even great teams. The road is easier to the finals... that's the point.

Yeah, it's weird you never hear it mentioned how shitty the West was in the 80's while the East was a battleground. The East was always a tougher conference in those days, I don't think it shifted until Shaq and Duncan came to prominence post-Jordan. It seemed for a time every great big ended up in the West; Shaq, Duncan, Dirk, Webber, etc and all the East had was Zo.

So, Spurs in 6.

(There was definitely better post play during Jordan's run, especially the first 3-peat.  There is definitely more athleticism and smarter offenses in today's era.  The 80's-90's teams would mug today's current teams, but could they play defense with the tighter rules of today's game?  Etc etc etc.)

So, Spurs in 6.

(There was definitely better post play during Jordan's run, especially the first 3-peat.  There is definitely more athleticism and smarter offenses in today's era.  The 80's-90's teams would mug today's current teams, but could they play defense with the tighter rules of today's game?  Etc etc etc.)

This is what I often wonder about. Look at the Bad Boy Pistons. Obviously they had some great players, but would they have been nearly as effective as they were if they couldn't play such physical defense? It's impossible to really compare eras, though, because of things like this. People bring up how athletic players are now, but what if Russel and Wilt had today's nutritionists and personal trainers? They would be freaking monster athletes.