DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Slick's hottest guys were Bossman and the Towers, but they never got him gold. The main events were good chunks of change, no doubt, but his track record becomes problematic outside of them too. Post-prime Sheik and Volkoff. Face run Kamala. After he sold off Hercules, Hercules' stock went up. Martel became the Model and his stock went up after he dropped Slick. Warlord couldn't get the job done on Bulldog. Then it's a lot of also rans. Couldn't make a blue chipper like Paul Roma work.

I don't think Slick stacks up.

• Like 1

Not if you're The Twin Towers who go from main events to working The Rockers and watching Hogan wrestle for the title that night.

Who really lost that exchange?

Slick's like the Jerry Glanville of managers. Some panache, fun to have around and will get you some attention, but you're not winning any titles with him.

This guy is the foremost authority on old school managers. I love it. What's the deal with Oliver Humperdinck? Why would Bam Bam choose him over Bobby the Brain? Now that's a bad move.

• Like 2

Slick's hottest guys were Bossman and the Towers, but they never got him gold. The main events were good chunks of change, no doubt, but his track record becomes problematic outside of them too. Post-prime Sheik and Volkoff. Face run Kamala. After he sold off Hercules, Hercules' stock went up. Martel became the Model and his stock went up after he dropped Slick. Warlord couldn't get the job done on Bulldog. Then it's a lot of also rans. Couldn't make a blue chipper like Paul Roma work.

I don't think Slick stacks up.

Slick's vain attempts to teach Kamala valuable life skills like bowling show that he really cares about his charges above all else. I know if I'm a blue chip wrestler looking for representation, I want a manager who is going to not only get me high profile matches, but also care about me and my well being after my time as a wrestler. You can't just go back to being a cannibal warlord, ya know? You're better off becoming a professional bowler. 

Slick is like the Jerry MacGuire of wrestling managers. 

• Like 2

It was just weird in the first place to have Dink as a face manager, considering he was booked as a top heel in Florida just prior to that, to the point where he had the Florida Heavyweight Title in early 1987.

Yes, you read that correctly.

It was just weird in the first place to have Dink as a face manager, considering he was booked as a top heel in Florida just prior to that, to the point where he had the Florida Heavyweight Title in early 1987.

Humperdink thought that was really odd too. He had no idea why Vince wasn't using him as a heel.

ALSO I read that as Dink the clown at first, so that was confusing too.

• Like 7

I want to start a kickstarter of a full length movie based on the meeting between Slick and Blassie when Blassie turned his guys over to him. 

If you play it up with back room meetings, bugged phones, and fear of sudden death...like Valkyrie, but not shitty, I'll throw in a saw buck.

Humperdink thought that was really odd too. He had no idea why Vince wasn't using him as a heel.

ALSO I read that as Dink the clown at first, so that was confusing too.

Well he was fat and waddled around a lot. Maybe he thought he could fill the gap as a face since Captain Lou had retired.

I think they wanted to run a long angle where Bam Bam was a face and betrayed Hogan, They teamed a lot in early 88 and then Bigelow disappeared. I really think he was going to get the spot Bossman ended up in. 

As far as managers go, you were more likely to win a belt with Jimmy Hart, have more fun with Slick and make more money with Heenan. 

Though there is a good chance Heenan will sell you into slavery or put you in prison. 

I like how Heenan made sure Dibiase paid him in cash for Herc and left as soon as possible. He knew how that was going to end. 

I think the worst recipe to WWE success is signing with Harvey Whippleman.  Managed Big Bully Busick, Yeah.  Managed Sid, Sid leaves.  Managed Kamala, who dumps him for Slick.  Managed Gonzalez, who had some success.  Managed Mr. Hughes, went nowhere.  Managed Adam Bomb, Bomb turns face and is shortly thereafter gone from WWE.  (Apparently) Managed Kwang...yeah.  Got into a feud with Finkel, lost.  Managed Bertha Faye who won the Women's Title, then got dumped from WWE.  

Yea, where did Bigelow go after Mania IV and why?  They really tried with him at SS 87.  I think he worked WCW somewhat and Japan before returning to the WWE.  He's a guy that should've made more money in the business.  He would be great to face Cena in this era and put him over.  I bet they'd have some good matches.

RE Harvey: You forgot "Acquired incriminating photos in order to have a job with WWE for 20 years"

RE: Bigelow: Knee injury, plus there's several versions of the same story where he was turfed by certain vets for attitude problems. Short version: Andre stiffed the shit out of him at MSG and he left.

Whippleman is bottom of the barrel for me. I'd rather just learn how to read and take care of my own contracts if that's my option. He had some hosses and couldn't do jack shit with any of 'em. 

There was a shoot somewhere where Bam Bam said he got fucked over by the kliq in '94 right?

Bigelow had a good 1995 as the crow flies. But the LT storyline gave him nowhere to go but turn face and he was never going to be higher in the babyface pecking order in 1995 than Nash, Michaels, Undertaker, Bret and Razor, period.

The biggest problem with WWE in 1995 is the severe face/heel imbalance, which is why things like Sid headlining three straight PPVs and King Mabel happened.

I'm sure Clique politics didn't help, but it wasn't the only reason.

There was a shoot somewhere where Bam Bam said he got fucked over by the kliq in '94 right?

Bigelow had a good 1995 as the crow flies. But the LT storyline gave him nowhere to go but turn face and he was never going to be higher in the babyface pecking order in 1995 than Nash, Michaels, Undertaker, Bret and Razor, period.

The biggest problem with WWE in 1995 is the severe face/heel imbalance, which is why things like Sid headlining three straight PPVs and King Mabel happened.

I'm sure Clique politics didn't help, but it wasn't the only reason.

I didn't like Bigelow at all after the face turn.  He seemed really unmotivated, and let's face it, he probably was.

Assuming Daniel gets stripped, and from a storyline perspective it makes no sense for them not to strip him if he can't defend in 30 days, what do you guys think they do with the belt? Who do you put it on?

I'd actually make the stips for the The Shield v Evolution match be whomever gets the pinfall takes the strap. Would add a shit ton of intrigue and set up future angles.