DVDVR Message Board

Hahaha

But no this show sucks and I'm dine. As rich a fuckinf universe as any TV show could ever conceivably have and they don't use any of it. This would have been a perfect moment to be like "we have a protocol for this, it's called the Murdoch protocol" and have the worst superhero ever show up but goddamn at least its a fucking superhero.

And Clark Gregg is the worst thing about this terrible show. I can't believe they ripped off the death of Deep Throat for this.

And Clark Gregg is the worst thing about this terrible show. I can't believe they ripped off the death of Deep Throat for this.

Hm. The worst thing about this show is... 

Actually, it's like this. If you wrote out last night's show on paper, it would have looked pretty good to someone who never had seen the show. There were three or four pieces that came together from previous episodes and it ended on a cliffhanger. It had sort of an unveiling party for a major character from the pilot and had fairly good action vs actual super powered bad guys, etc. 

It was a by the numbers mid-season finale with a tease of the show's big mystery and some character arcs coming to fruition, etc. It was so competently put together structurally that it should have been a no brainer quality-wise, but it's so impossible to care about anything on this show that it was just utter dreck. 

The worst part of the show isn't that it's terrible; it's that it's so terrible that even when they do things technically correct, it's still terrible.

• Like 1

So,  while everything Matt said I agree with...

You had 3 super-power dudes rip through a Federal Prison to pull out a dude that is quickly revealed to have been in contact with a known high up in this nebulous organization that has been making super dudes using known stolen/replicated tech (like Extremis, etc), and have seemingly fixed all the bad stuff associated with it.

You'd think that'd be the time that Fury/Hill would send in the A-Team to deal with this instead of Coluson's Scoobies?

The biggest plot thing to me, in a specific sense, is that they make a big deal about how WhatHisFace is the missing link to the next stage of Centipede Extremis and that makes sense, even if the  "Your gun accidentally cured me!" bit is really silly. It makes a hell of a lot more sense than the twist, motivation wise. "He's the key for us to get to stage three, and uh, well, instead of the obvious, in that he survived with his powers without the treatment, I mean that he'll help us secretly capture Coulson!" 

What the hell, Agents of SHIELD.

Also, going by May's "Um, HQ, need instructions" when Coulson gets nicked, and the preview's showing of Hand being pretty nonplussed by super powered orginization on seemingly on par with HYDRA/AIM now activly going after and getting Coulson, who may be a Life Model Decoy/Vision/something high end...

It really makes SHIELD out to be *really* fucking incompetent.

. Aside from Skye I don't think I give any type of shit about any of the characters and I actively hate 3 of them.

Watching last night's episode, pretty much the same thing occurred to me (except the Skype part, sure she's purty but to me she's almost a parody of a Whedon character). I actually thought last night's ep was the best since the pilot, thanks primarily to the presence of Mike. That's wen it occurred to me that what 10 or so weeks in, I'm still more invested/interested in Mike's story than anything the regular crew has going on.

Nice touch with the flirty banter between him and Simmons. Nice to see Gunn still loves the socially awkward nerdy science geeks...

But, yeah, everything on this show just seems so pointless. If the Coulson reveal isn't a game changer, I foresee a massive audience drop off heading into S2.

I'm sensing that, if you're thinking of dropping SHIELD from the DVR before the new year rolls around, this isn't the episode that's going to save it?

Yeah I tapped.

I still say that they should just have the Winter Soldier kill the lot of them to set up Cap 2. 

Anything involving someone with any sort of super power.

The worst part of the show isn't that it's terrible; it's that it's so terrible that even when they do things technically correct, it's still terrible.

Completely agreed.  I was thinking that in the previous episode with May's character development.  It was stuff that should work, but it just fell flat.  Then of course, they completely ignored it this week.

I think I figured out where they're going with May, and it's good stuff on paper, but the execution has mostly been lousy.

• She touches the Asgardian magic staff of painful memories, which triggers something which has been buried deep in her psyche.  They don't show it, but I'm guessing it has to do with her solitary existence(*).
  • So she has a fling with Ward to try to ease the pain of the old, re-opened wound.
  • But her natural defenses are still in place, so she's really cold with Ward, keeping him at arm's length.
  • And when she sees Skye trying to reach out to find family and be less solitary, she lashes out at her -- basically lashing out at the part of herself that wants the same thing.

That's all pretty good stuff on paper, but they just haven't pulled it off on screen.  And it would make a ton more sense if the previous episode (where May shows a little emotion and pranks Fitz) hadn't been thrown in the middle of that.

All that said, I will say that the scene with Ward explaining why he took the punch for May was a decent Whedony trope-twist.  Nothing amazing, but I'm trying to find some positive in this mess.

(*)Of course the "solitary existence" thing was a major theme of this episode, with Coulson talking about circumstances forcing him to stay away from the cellist and Peterson having to decide if he can give up PTA meetings to be a superhero.  Another example of them having a really solid concept, but just not executing well at all.

I don't really read comics but watch most comic shows/movies.  This show is not that great, reminds me of a Syfy channel midcard show.  Eh, it's something though.

Does Coulson's status as a zombie/replicant/whatever actually matter?  It looks like it's going in that direction but I can't bring myself to care one way or the other.  Other than an episode or two of him having an existential crisis about it, is there any point or is his status going to be some MacGuffin for the bad guys to try and capture and reverse engineer?

I'm wondering if May and/or Coulson are Skye's parents?  Not Eliza Dushku doesn't look like she could pass as half-Asian though so I'm guessing it'll turn out one of the main bad guys is her parent, or she's some kind of clone prototype or some such.

Oh, hey....

I think I figured out where they're going with May, and it's good stuff on paper, but the execution has mostly been lousy.

• She touches the Asgardian magic staff of painful memories, which triggers something which has been buried deep in her psyche.  They don't show it, but I'm guessing it has to do with her solitary existence(*).
  • So she has a fling with Ward to try to ease the pain of the old, re-opened wound.
  • But her natural defenses are still in place, so she's really cold with Ward, keeping him at arm's length.
  • And when she sees Skye trying to reach out to find family and be less solitary, she lashes out at her -- basically lashing out at the part of herself that wants the same thing.

I'm wondering if May and/or Coulson are Skye's parents? 

I guess if May had to give up her child, that would qualify as a painful memory regarding her solitude.  I doubt she was the one who dropped Skye off at the orphanage, though.  I'm guessing May thinks the baby died or something, but a different SHIELD agent dropped Skye off, keeping May in the dark.  May will learn the truth, Skye won't (until later), and May will get killed off before she can reconcile with Skye. 

Given my track record with such things, that will probably end up being totally wrong.

It does seem cool to hate on Agents of Shield here, but I just don't see it.  Sure, I don't think it's the best show ever or even a great show.  But it's hardly worse than the likes of Smallville and Arrow.  And Arrow got really monotonous in the first season.

It does seem cool to hate on Agents of Shield here, but I just don't see it.  Sure, I don't think it's the best show ever or even a great show.  But it's hardly worse than the likes of Smallville and Arrow.  And Arrow got really monotonous in the first season.

I have no idea about any of those shows but relative to anything else, Agents of Shield is boring as fuck.

Right now Shield aspires to be as good as Arrow was at it's worst during season 1. Arrow always had something compelling, fun, or interesting going for it, whether it was the fight scenes, island flashbacks, Felicity, or whatever it may be. I think the reason most people havent quit on Shield yet is because it's Marvel.

I can't stand Felicity Smoak on Arrow.  

"Wow you are steaming so much because you're hot.  I don't mean hot like you're sexy hot.  Well you are sexy hot, but I don't think you're sexy hot like I want to have sex with you.  But I do."

Wish she would marry Firestorm's dad and go away already.

Sometimes Felicity's dialogue works, but yeah, sometimes they overdo it and it's a bit grating.  Overall I like the character.

Part of the reason I'm sticking with SHIELD is that it's Marvel.  The other part is that I saw how Arrow got past some really rough patches in season 1 and has become quite an entertaining show, so I hope SHIELD can do the same.  But if it wasn't Marvel, I'd probably not bother.  I've caught bits and pieces of Tomorrow People after Arrow and I wonder if it's not a better show than SHIELD.  Yet it still hasn't gotten me watching; if it was a Marvel show, I surely would be.

It does seem cool to hate on Agents of Shield here, but I just don't see it.  Sure, I don't think it's the best show ever or even a great show.  But it's hardly worse than the likes of Smallville and Arrow.  

I'm only 15 episodes in on ARROW, and I feel confident saying that SHIELD is way worse. ARROW has it's share of issues, but it seemed to have a clear idea of what audience it was serving and what show it wanted to be from the beginning, and it largely succeeds at being that show.

On the flipside, SHIELD is such a muddled mess that, as mentioned, even when they do things that are technically right, it still feels wrong, and as a result, it doesn't seem to please anybody all that much. I mean, the most ardent defense anyone can mount for it is, "C'mon, guy, it's not that bad."