DVDVR Message Board

My problem with Iron Man 3 isn't that they fucked up The Mandarin, i don't care enough about the character to know that, and i doubt the majority of the people watching the film do either. My problem is the film they showed in the trailer and all the hype leading up to the film, the film that looked interesting and different to the past 2 Iron Man films, wasn't the film we got. We got 90 mins of bait, then a twist that takes you completely out of the film, and 40 mins of the same boring evil business man from the past 2 films.

I can see what they were going for, could have been good but they didn't pull it off, Terrible film.

Yeah. Basically this.

I don't care that the movie Mandarin is different from the comics Mandarin.

I also don't care that they pulled a bait and switch.

I care that the Mandarin they initially presented is far more interesting than the result of the bait and switch and that the tone of the movie went from hopeless and menacing to 'every other Iron Man movie to this point' really quick after the reveal went down.

As everyone else said, the problem wasn't the reveal. The problem was Killian. 

I feel the same way about The Mandarin reveal. I wanted more Sir. Ben Kingsley's Mandarin from the trailers and before the reveal in the film. I liked it all: the look, the lessons and the voice.

My problem with Iron Man 3 isn't that they fucked up The Mandarin, i don't care enough about the character to know that, and i doubt the majority of the people watching the film do either. My problem is the film they showed in the trailer and all the hype leading up to the film, the film that looked interesting and different to the past 2 Iron Man films, wasn't the film we got. We got 90 mins of bait, then a twist that takes you completely out of the film, and 40 mins of the same boring evil business man from the past 2 films.

I can see what they were going for, could have been good but they didn't pull it off, Terrible film.

Yeah. Basically this.

I don't care that the movie Mandarin is different from the comics Mandarin.

I also don't care that they pulled a bait and switch.

I care that the Mandarin they initially presented is far more interesting than the result of the bait and switch and that the tone of the movie went from hopeless and menacing to 'every other Iron Man movie to this point' really quick after the reveal went down.

As everyone else said, the problem wasn't the reveal. The problem was Killian. 

I feel the same way about The Mandarin reveal. I wanted more Sir. Ben Kingsley's Mandarin from the trailers and before the reveal in the film. I liked it all: the look, the lessons and the voice.

That is basically it. If they had provided a better villain than the fake Mandarin, it would have worked. 

• Like 2

So what type of villain should Iron Man be up against? I'll admit to have limited knowledge of his rogues gallery, but as I've said before: How do you make a credible threat for a guy who's powers include flight, near invulnerability, super genius intellect, and lasers? It's not like Spider-Man or Batman that who are vulnerable to any assortment of attacks. When you make a superhero as powerful as Iron Man/Hulk/Superman, their rogues gallery by definition are going to be extremely limited and/or not very interesting.

The problem with comics Iron Man is that he's got a shit rouges gallery.  It's all either corporate guys in suits, or c-list idiots like Whiplash.  They hit a home run with the movies because, like Blade, there's not much to the character outside the look.  RDJ is almost the polar opposite of Tony from the comics, but it works because Tony in the comics is a vapid shell

ETA: I say this as a longtime fan of the book.

Including myself for MoS and same regarding Captain America. But in my defense, I believe both of those were as good as a film you could get for the characters, whereas the IM3 hate is all about how it could've been better, when it was fine as is.