DVDVR Message Board

Raw 3-10-14

MGFanJay

I watched in bits and pieces because my totally legal (uhm...) feed was crap tonight.

But:

1) I saw Brodie Lee in Chikara just a few years ago. Now, here he is, sharing segments with Hogan and Cena in the build to WrestleMania. That's awesome. That segment ruled. Bray looked like he belonged there -- he just has that charisma and magnetism that only the greats have. His retort later on in the show was so great, too. TIIIIIIIIMMMME

2) I really love The Shield intrigue. I love them back on the same page AND getting in Kane's face. They're slow-burning a break-up and a potential face turn all at once. That's great.

3) The YES! Movement segment was terrific. How can anyone hate on that? They've had people more over than Daniel Bryan before but they've never had a wrestler who felt more like the people who are in the stands and watching at home. D-Bry surrounded by a bunch of fanboys chanting yet while Steph and Hunter acted like Judge and Mrs. Smails when the Twix bar was in the bottom of the pool in Caddyshack was terrific. Now we got the matches we want. That was golden.

4) I don't like Sheamus and Christian so much but they worked a really great hardcore match in Memphis. That was a perfect read of what to have in front of a crowd.

I'm usually one of the most negative guys around here but what the fuck show was MGFanJay watching? That Bryan segment was incredible & what everyone has pretty much been clamoring for. What the fuck? That was a huge moment.

JBL cracked me up with the "If I defended the world heavyweight belt that often I'd still be champ" re: Dean Ambrose.

And fuck yes Cena dropping some Jimmy Buffet on Bray Wyatt. I like Wyatt well enough, but that's exactly what Cena should be doing at this point. He'll pull a serious Cena promo on the go home show and it will be awesome.

• Like 2

As for the non-Bryan stuff, I thought the Shield/Rhodes match was their best match together yet. I always love the double noggin-knocker spot. I also loved how Reigns' gear was covered in gold paint at the end of the match. It was like a PG version of the Muta Scale.

Also, was it just me, or did Nattie put an unusual amount of emphasis on "mark" when she said "I won't be getting any markings on my neck"? It's like she was trying to send a hidden message, wink wink nudge nudge.

• Like 1

I'm pleased that Bryan had to wrestle double duty multiple times over the past year and now will have to do it once more... through Evolution no less.. the internet's most hated stable ever..  to win the big one.

Awesome.

TIME IS ON MY SIDEEE.  So great, so happy he brought that back..

Tiiiiiiiiime is ooooon my side...

#ScrewFollowtheBuzzards

Oh yeah, totally forgot to mention that. My second favorite part of tonight's show after HHH and Steph losing their shit.

Clearly, Bray watched the Denzel/Gandolfini/Goodman classic Fallen this weekend. Lets see how long it'll take to get that song out of my head this time.

• Like 2

We're all distracted from the

Andre the FUCKING Giant FUCKING Memorial Battle FUCKING Royal Trophy:

OH FUCK YES!!!!!  All that's missing is a $15,000 cash prize.

Also now we know how many years you have to be dead for Hogan to put you over.  For anyone who had 21 years, you can collect your ANDRE THE FUCKING GIANT FUCKING MEMORIAL BATTLE FUCKING ROYAL TROPHY REPLICA at the front office.

• Like 13

Yeah Bryan basically turned his post show promo into a political speech fighting for the 1% of the world and stopping the corporations from polluting the water.  I wish they wouldn't do this since the occupy movement in politics was a complete disaster but oh well. 

Triple H and especially Stephanie were so great in the Bryan segment. When Stephanie just started snarling all her words was too amazing.

Shield and Rhodes had a good match, but don't they always? I expect and demand it from my boys Shield, anyway. So, my highlight was the mighty Dean Ambrose freaking out with his spectacular pro-wrestling acting on the outside.

• Like 2

so BP is going to make a run-in during the main event to throw polluted water at Daniel Bryan?

Speaking of getting political, did anyone else find it unsettling when JBL called for the police to bring out the fire hoses? In Memphis, no less?

Not sure Memphis had quite as much 1960s rioting as other cities (Birmingham).

Aside from when JBL is bashing another heel (Ambrose), he's typically pretty good. Although the announcer arguments kinda get tiring and all, JBL being the only heel on the staff is better than face Cole and face Lawler left alone

I'm sorry, I was going to mention that until I got caught up in the Occupy Wave.

That trophy fucking RULES...  I need to see a better view of it, though.  My pick was Rusev if they did a battle royal...  I'm sticking with that but so far there are some awesome big dudes entered such as DA BIG GUY himself and BIG E.

Maybe Rusev already did enter and we just don't know?  No subtitles. Lana, ooooh Lana.

I'm sorry, I was going to mention that until I got caught up in the Occupy Wave.

That trophy fucking RULES...  I need to see a better view of it, though.  My pick was Rusev if they did a battle royal...  I'm sticking with that but so far there are some awesome big dudes entered such as DA BIG GUY himself and BIG E.

Maybe Rusev already did enter and we just don't know?  No subtitles. Lana, ooooh Lana.

Andre the Giant was half-Bulgarian by heritage. Rusev is Bulgarian. It was meant to be

• Like 1

Yeah Bryan basically turned his post show promo into a political speech fighting for the 1% of the world and stopping the corporations from polluting the water. I wish they wouldn't do this since the occupy movement in politics was a complete disaster but oh well.

I just think if you make your lead babyface make political statements either way, you're gonna isolate 50% of the American audience. But I'd bet this will be the last time. Vince will surely tell him to stop that.

This angle is such a great metaphor for the current economy/life in the US.

Austin killed it as the rebellious anti-hero against the evil, rich boss. My brother pointed out to me that he was the first anti-hero to have popularity. Tony Soprano and Don Draper and Walter White soon followed.

Daniel Bryan's someone so completely different than this. He's an indie rock version of Stone Cold. Matt D coined it best after SummerSlam -- he's the Austin for kids who can't pay their student loans back. It's not necessarily political, but there are a whole lot of people in the WWE universe who are talented geeks who don't look the right part. We go to ComicCons and collect 7-inches and were in AP classes... but because we majored in liberal arts and didn't join a frat or couldn't afford an Ivy League school, we're stuck underneath the trust fund elite and their hand-picked managerial class.

D-Bry taps into that. He's the right hero for the right time.

• Like 7

I fully accept that the problem's on my end.  Get burned enough times and you get numb to it all, I guess.  Hey, if it works out and Bryan wins the title at Mania, great.

On another topic, it'll be a shame if the potential A.J.-Naomi feud gets scrapped due to the freak injury and they hotshot the belt to Natalya tomorrow night.  If anyone's been quote-unquote "buried" lately, it's A.J.(barely on TV and losing when she is).

I dug Cena and Hogan posing, but Cena burying Bray's gimmick sucked.

If Bray Wyatt has legs as a future main eventer, then he can overcome it. I like that they are not insulting people's intelligence by having someone be a mouthpiece for what some people are certainly saying. This is the same sort of promo as Daniel Bryan making fun of Batista's belly button tattoo on Smackdown.

I wonder if anyone would get in trouble if the wrong people heard JBL suggesting that they needed to turn some fire hoses on the Yes Movement.