DVDVR Message Board

DIRTSHEETZ~! THREAD

RIPPA

I'm also a roller derby announcer (jstout, what's your friend's name? I probably know him... most announcers take stuff a little too seriously for my tastes). The flat track stuff is shoot. Most modern banked is shoot too (if it's RDCL, which is typically the LA Derby Dolls and others amongst them).

A lot of skaters are also starting to switch to using their legal names. The DC team is half legal names and half derby names. A few others, like Vancouver's Terminal City, are almost all legal names.

Good info. I had no idea the banked track teams were shoots. That sounds dangerous to me with the guardrails. I just assumed banked track = throwback to "classic" roller derby. What's the percentage of shoot teams vs. worked teams? 90-10? 95-5?

Is the popularity of shoot flat-track roller derby on the wane everywhere, or just in my area? I think my town's too small (populaton: 50,000) to sustain a roller derby team and the best players would probably have to travel to a bigger city to compete. The local team would REALLY be served well to go co-ed, too.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

For the most part, the banked track stuff I've seen has had them stick more towards the bottom portion of the track rather than near the rails. I can't recall actually seeing anyone go over the rails in a shoot. As far as a percentage of shoot to worked... probably more like 99 to 1. A lot of renegade tends to be worked, with fake fights and whatnot.

Popularity has dropped a bit, likely because the novelty of "girls in fishnets on skates" has worn off now that things tend to be gradually moving more towards serious athletics. Oversaturation hurts a lot too (here in Richmond, there are five different leagues, and that's not good). A lot of leagues have shifted their marketing more towards the sports fan and that seems to have served them well. It's not the days of 7,000 at Rat City's games at Key Arena, but it's still healthy.

We have a new leader in the clubhouse for the dumbest question sent to Dave on Monday's show when someone asked if the snake who attacked Savage in that angle with Jake roberts was paid by a rival promoter to shoot on Savage.  Not Roberts the actual snake.    Obviously Bryan doesn't pre-read the questions   :lol:

I did like the question asking why does someone have to die in order to get a huge biography on a wrestler and territory.  

By the way, Dave idea of having sort of a town hall/Q&A session at next year's convention is really something that needs to happen and video taped for sale.  This has to be one of those "well it sounded like a good idea at the time" quotes

• Like 1

From today's WON update:

"--The Masked Republic show at the Arena in Philadelphia from April will air on regular PPV on tape delay in the fall.  That's the show with L.A. Park vs Dr. Wagner Jr. on top.  "

Six months, now that's a delay! I hope they can bleep out the cusswords. But seriously, this show was great and well worth a viewing,

luchamark,

RAF

From bryan's update

-- Not sure what caused all of this, but this was on the Wendy's Twitter retweeted by Jim Cornette of Wendy's drive-thru fame: @edanieldaisy @TheJimCornette @pyroballyhoo We could settle this with a Baconator on a pole match

1. Doesnt everyone know it was a dairy queen where the infamous meltdown took place?

2. Wouldnt it be pretty easy to scroll back through the twitter feeds of Cornette and Russo to see how it all started yesterday?

From bryan's update

-- Not sure what caused all of this, but this was on the Wendy's Twitter retweeted by Jim Cornette of Wendy's drive-thru fame: @edanieldaisy @TheJimCornette @pyroballyhoo We could settle this with a Baconator on a pole match

1. Doesnt everyone know it was a dairy queen where the infamous meltdown took place?

2. Wouldnt it be pretty easy to scroll back through the twitter feeds of Cornette and Russo to see how it all started yesterday?

You should collate the timeline into a leather bound book, brother.

Seriously odessasteps this is very low hanging fruit. Please get over Bryan de-friending you or whatever happened there.

Sure, but that would involve some reasearch, so...

Exactly he is self categorised as a podcaster/radio show host and website owner. Not historian, researcher or journalist.

Vanity Jitz school owner too. 

He would prob be fine with booking a small indy company in the south.

But i always thought cornette in charge of a northeastern company built on highspots and head dropping (and owned by a tv company) was a bad fix.

But i always thought cornette in charge of a northeastern company built on highspots and head dropping (and owned by a tv company) was a bad fix.

See, I always thought that too.  (And of course we were right.) But apparently the Richards/O'Reilly faux-MMA stuff appealed to him.

Long time lurker

So I'm compelled to post in this thread to ask: what is the general IWC (btw- I don't know if that term is frowned on upon here...some "lurker" i am, right) consesus on Granny?

Do you guys like here?

Find her annoying?

what?

btw- the mods can do a IP trace (or whatever) on me and show that I'm not a Bryan Alvarez Mult

I sincerly curious about this

I haven't listened in many years, but back then she went from mildly amusing to eventually seeming pointless since she took up a lot of time for something you were actually paying for often times and contributed nothing of value. Then she'd occasionally show off her old timey semi-racist views on random shit and fun would be had by all. I'm sure its gotten worse in the last 4 or 5 years.

Exactly he is self categorised as a podcaster/radio show host and website owner.

Research is part of the job.

Where's the job the description posted?

To be honest I think they didn't post the context as friend of the site Jim Cornette made a casual death threat.

His stint working at OVW just before joining ROH/Sinclair was no great shakes.

OVWers raved about his input on their promos and tag matches though.

Granny: total waste of time. Not entertaining at all. I HATE it when people insist on sticking their utterly unqualified family members into anything even remotely approaching a major role in their productions. We've got a word for that, and there's good reasons why "nepotism" is universally considered a negative term.

Do remember that "unqualified" and "major" are the key words in the above paragraph. I've got no problem with Kevin Smith doing podcasts with his wife, since she's an interesting talker and they've got good banter. I've also got no problem with Chris Jericho occasionally sticking his young son onto his podcast: it's something they rarely do, the kid has his own weird little gimmick as a Fish Expert, and it usually lasts a grand total of like five minutes (plus Chris's constant dumbfounded amazement at being legit out-intellectualized by his grade-school offspring is always a hoot).

In comparison, Granny just mostly rambles about her own personal life; which is something I can barely tolerate from MY grandmother, let alone anyone else's. And she's on Bryan's shows on a regular basis and usually not for just a couple of minutes, either. Anytime she comes on, I either skip forward til she's gone or just click out of the show entirely.

I haven't listened in many years, but back then she went from mildly amusing to eventually seeming pointless since she took up a lot of time for something you were actually paying for often times and contributed nothing of value. Then she'd occasionally show off her old timey semi-racist views on random shit and fun would be had by all. I'm sure its gotten worse in the last 4 or 5 years.

you know, it's funny (or perhaps not so funny) i've always been willing to bet that granny MAY (and the operative word is "MAY") be a bit not too fond of "swarthy types"

again, MAY

Which makes it amusing in a bad way that Bryan's some percentage "swarthy". 1/4th or 1/2 or whatever.

he's the whitest "Alvarez" i've ever seen though so he should be "swarthier" but I, dunno, maybe he's more "European Spainish" than "central/south american" spainish

I forget what he said since it's been like 7 years, but I think he said his dad is Mexican American or something like that.

I only listen to podcasts with Dave. Preferably Dave and Mike. Todd Martin drains the fun out of anything. Bryan surprises me sometimes and makes a good point but usually he's lost especially when it comes to anything pre-2000. Vinny used to amuse me but now I think he's kind of a twat also.