DVDVR Message Board

DIRTSHEETZ~! THREAD

RIPPA

Observer types strike me as the kind of people who start hating rock bands after they make it big. The worst kind of people.

Yeah, that's absolutely...uh, what?

My theory is the members over there aren't excited about Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins and Cesaro because they changed their names and wrestle for the evil empire.

Huh last I heard Cesaro is in the pre-show match?

What are the matches people should be stoked to see on this Mania?

Daniel Bryan and more Daniel Bryan. I had a good laugh when Hunter and Steph said eventually the people would turn on Bryan because even though they are working the crowd, it's so true and then you look at the Observer poll and everyone is like "Daniel Bryan in the main events? BORING! BORING!"

I just find it strange. I don't think it matters what the card is (which I think Is actually pretty good this year) there are still going to be people who will hate it because it's WWE. The popular opinion among certain groups on the wrestling boards was once that Ring of Honor is so much better than WWE because look they don't do goofy story lines, it's about the WRESTLING..   Well, there's no promotion in the world with better in-ring content than WWE right now. If there is, I'd like to hear an argument for it.

Observer types strike me as the kind of people who start hating rock bands after they make it big. The worst kind of people.

My theory is the members over there aren't excited about Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins and Cesaro because they changed their names and wrestle for the evil empire.

Daniel Bryan and more Daniel Bryan. I had a good laugh when Hunter and Steph said eventually the people would turn on Bryan because even though they are working the crowd, it's so true and then you look at the Observer poll and everyone is like "Daniel Bryan in the main events? BORING! BORING!"

I've enjoyed Daniel Bryan as much as the next guy but the last thing I want to see is him stuck in a Helmsley match.

I've enjoyed Daniel Bryan as much as the next guy but the last thing I want to see is him stuck in a Helmsley match.

I don't know.. I'm a big Hunter supporter so if he's not your cup of tea I can understand that but even if you despise the guy..  you have to believe Bryan will make it awesome.

If anything, the current WWE product got me to realize that JUST good wrestling isn't enough for a compelling product...it needs the storylines to tie things together and give you a reason to root for one side over the other.

Storylines can do a lot to cover up the fact that the people in them aren't the best workers. Bad workers + bad storylines = crap. 

That's two things fallen by the wayside that I miss: Midcard dudes getting the chance to talk and establish personalities and solid midcard storylines. These days, what passes for a midcard storyline is one of the Usos appearing on "Total Divas." Give me Jimmy Valiant vs. Paul Jones' Wrestler of the Month any day.

And i guess this applies here: For those of you who wanna doubt Shoemaker, read his latest thing in Grantland about the Hogan-Richard Belzer thing. He's not showing a wealth of wrestling history knowledge writing about Hogan-Belzer, but it's really well-written and comes to an end in a clever way. I dunno if that's him or his editors, but in a situation like Grantland and not 411wrestlingscoopz.org, good writing>knowing everything there is to know about wrestling.

I don't know.. I'm a big Hunter supporter so if he's not your cup of tea I can understand that but even if you despise the guy..  you have to believe Bryan will make it awesome.

ehh. I gues I liked Hunter as face v big guys. I thought Hunter v Khali was actively smart (although Hunter v Koslov was pretty shit). But Hunter as heel making opponent endlessly run ropes almost never entertains.

I wouldn't have been excited to go to an ROH show with main event of Rockin Rebel v Danielson where I knew Rebel was going to be calling the match either.

This is a mania that just doesn't feel like it has a big draw to it. Cena is a guy I like in big matches but feels like between main. a HHH match and Taker match, the Cena one is going to be the one cut shortest and given the least big match focus. There is no Mayweather or real big attraction for casual viewer either.

Well, in the post-PPV era, the idea of needing the "draw" is somewhat by the wayside. And the idea is that Batista was supposed to be the big star draw (and, of course, Lesnar). I like the idea of 'Mania getting back to great matches up and down, rather than shoehorning celebrity matches or bringing back a shit-ton of older stars for quick shots. Hunter being in this spot is way more preferable than him randomly showing up during 'Mania season to start a program. This is at least the blowoff to an eight-month long angle. The Lesnar/UT thing has been underwhelming but I gather the fear is that Undertaker is so broken down he can't really take too many ass-kickings on TV.

I'm not someone who is less interested this year than any other (mainly because I'm in for Bryan getting his big moment, though I like most of the Cena/Bray stuff too), but I definitely wouldn't point to this Mania as them getting back to great matches/programs up and down.

They've got arguably the most talented roster they've ever had and more outlets and TV time to set things up than ever before and somehow they came out with a 7 match show that features at least one guy working the two biggest matches on the card, 30 guys in a battle royal [just months after the RR, no less] because they couldn't be bothered to book the mid-card, 14 woman horned into a one fall match, and one of the hottest acts in the company stuck in a sort of slapped together feud with the likes of Kane and the New Age Outlaws... and that's not even touching Lesnar/Taker or how the tag titles, after rising at least somewhat back up the register the past year, are relegated to a thrown together fatal four way on the pre-show.

• Like 1

I think Lesnar's dead as a wrestling draw. Too many pointless losses.

Losing to Cena was a mistake.  Losing to Trips was a fucking disaster.

Judging from the huge bump in buys Summerslam 2012 got, the Cena match didn't hurt him much if at all.  The Triple H stuff appears to have totally ended him as a draw though, given that afaik, there's been no real bump for the last three shows he's been on.

I'm excited for Mania, definitely more excited than I was last year. I'm all-in with the Bryan storyline, so it seems big to me.

Lesnar should have been undefeated coming into this match. And he also should have dominated Taker in the run up until the match. Like someone else said, the Cena loss wasn't good and the Trips thing was horrendous.

I'm not someone who is less interested this year than any other (mainly because I'm in for Bryan getting his big moment, though I like most of the Cena/Bray stuff too), but I definitely wouldn't point to this Mania as them getting back to great matches/programs up and down.

They've got arguably the most talented roster they've ever had and more outlets and TV time to set things up than ever before and somehow they came out with a 7 match show that features at least one guy working the two biggest matches on the card, 30 guys in a battle royal [just months after the RR, no less] because they couldn't be bothered to book the mid-card, 14 woman horned into a one fall match, and one of the hottest acts in the company stuck in a sort of slapped together feud with the likes of Kane and the New Age Outlaws... and that's not even touching Lesnar/Taker or how the tag titles, after rising at least somewhat back up the register the past year, are relegated to a thrown together fatal four way on the pre-show.

It at least feels SORT Of like a Mania. It's been years since that.