DVDVR Message Board

DIRTSHEETZ~! THREAD

RIPPA

2) While curious about such things, I am not rovert and don't want this board to support rovert style board warz gossip. We lived through a wrestlers gossip/sleaze thread, I have no interest in us having to deal with a wrestling writers gossip/sleaze thread. This is a thread to discuss dirt sheetz and the good or shitty reporting in them. If you want gossip about the dirt sheet writerz, start your own board for that purpose. Let's not have it here.

I think everyone's "reminiscing" (note the quotes) about the olden days back when people cared about such nonsense.

2) While curious about such things, I am not rovert and don't want this board to support rovert style board warz gossip. We lived through a wrestlers gossip/sleaze thread, I have no interest in us having to deal with a wrestling writers gossip/sleaze thread. This is a thread to discuss dirt sheetz and the good or shitty reporting in them. If you want gossip about the dirt sheet writerz, start your own board for that purpose. Let's not have it here.

I don't engage in sleaze just lols, brah.

So let's tackle the issue of too much MMA in the Wrestling Observer again.

I heard Jess McGrath likes Scrapple.

Considering the flood of information available to us today, is subscribing to the Observer necessary to keep up? Do you subscribe simply because you like Meltzer's opinions?

I don't watch a minute of wrestling these days (very rarely will I catch something on), but I love reading the Observer because the backstage gossip~! pleases me so. I've been loving this C.M. Punk deal. Imagine if a star baseball player just decided to walk out on his team in the middle of the season because he didn't like the team's direction - SportsCenter would EXPLODE.

I found it fascinating to see how much Triple H makes. He makes a pretty decent chunk of change as a wrestler (on top of his executive pay) to work as little as he does.

I run hot and cold on liking MMA, but the coverage bores me because most of that stuff's fairly out in the open already. I did enjoy the tidbit that Ronda Rousey's a big wrestling fan - I'd like to see her in the WWE. Or at my house. Either way.

And that historical stuff can't be beat - I have never watched Billy Robinson wrestle for one second (though I really need to change that), but what a fascinating character that guy was.

Shoemaker's fine, technically, he just strikes me as a guy who has no knowledge base beyond what he's seen and grown up with. For a wrestling writer in a really high-profile position, he doesn't strike me as someone who knows much about wrestling.

There's probably 50 people here who know much more about wrestling than he does and can write as well as him, with "massaging" from a copy editor. He just got the breaks and everyone else didn't. I guess long story short is don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Sorry to bring this up, but that 50 people estimate is crazy, crazy low. I think I know more than Shoemaker and I am by far not even close to the top 250 most knowledgeable people here.

Listened to a podcast finally with Shoemaker and Rosenberg for Grantland/ESPN. Jesus Christ.

Both have a dangerously low level of wrestling knowledge (that at least Rosenberg admits to....a lot) that makes it so any conversation NOT about what's happening currently sound utterly ridiculous. What makes it worse is when talking about the current product, they try to compare it to past wrestling feuds....which they know nothing about. So basically all their conversations are a drinking game away from a bunch of people here getting alcohol poisoning.

Rosenberg bothers me for other reasons though, namely his obsession over Divas and Mark Henry. Dude, if you like Women's Wrestling that much, watch Joshi or even Shimmer. Stop telling me Gail Kim is the best female worker of all time.

Shoemaker's fine, technically, he just strikes me as a guy who has no knowledge base beyond what he's seen and grown up with. For a wrestling writer in a really high-profile position, he doesn't strike me as someone who knows much about wrestling.

There's probably 50 people here who know much more about wrestling than he does and can write as well as him, with "massaging" from a copy editor. He just got the breaks and everyone else didn't. I guess long story short is don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Sorry to bring this up, but that 50 people estimate is crazy, crazy low. I think I know more than Shoemaker and I am by far not even close to the top 250 most knowledgeable people here.

Listened to a podcast finally with Shoemaker and Rosenberg for Grantland/ESPN. Jesus Christ.

Both have a dangerously low level of wrestling knowledge (that at least Rosenberg admits to....a lot) that makes it so any conversation NOT about what's happening currently sound utterly ridiculous. What makes it worse is when talking about the current product, they try to compare it to past wrestling feuds....which they know nothing about. So basically all their conversations are a drinking game away from a bunch of people here getting alcohol poisoning.

Rosenberg bothers me for other reasons though, namely his obsession over Divas and Mark Henry. Dude, if you like Women's Wrestling that much, watch Joshi or even Shimmer. Stop telling me Gail Kim is the best female worker of all time.

I meant knowledge combined with writing talent. I'd agree there are probably hundreds here who have more knowledge. Some people have the knowledge, but can't write a cohesive-enough sentence to cut it as a writer. There's only one Meltzer. if you're gonna be writing for Grantland, you can't be a bad writer. I dunno how much his stuff gets cleaned up, but Shoemaker's not a bad writer. 

I've never heard of Rosenberg, didn't even know ESPN had a "wrestling guy." I just like reading Grantland. 

• Like 1

I don't watch a minute of wrestling these days (very rarely will I catch something on), but I love reading the Observer because the backstage gossip~! pleases me so. I've been loving this C.M. Punk deal. Imagine if a star baseball player just decided to walk out on his team in the middle of the season because he didn't like the team's direction - SportsCenter would EXPLODE.

I found it fascinating to see how much Triple H makes. He makes a pretty decent chunk of change as a wrestler (on top of his executive pay) to work as little as he does.

I run hot and cold on liking MMA, but the coverage bores me because most of that stuff's fairly out in the open already. I did enjoy the tidbit that Ronda Rousey's a big wrestling fan - I'd like to see her in the WWE. Or at my house. Either way.

And that historical stuff can't be beat - I have never watched Billy Robinson wrestle for one second (though I really need to change that), but what a fascinating character that guy was.

I see Punk's prickly "This doesn't suit me! This won't do at all! Whoa is me!" nature more on par with Val Kilmer circa "Island of Dr. Moreau" than some headcase team sports player. That being said one can only hope Punk eventually suffers the wrestling equivalent of what has become the bloated perpetually swollen from bee stings Kilmer's straight to DVD acting career. 

I meant knowledge combined with writing talent. I'd agree there are probably hundreds here who have more knowledge. Some people have the knowledge, but can't write a cohesive-enough sentence to cut it as a writer. There's only one Meltzer. if you're gonna be writing for Grantland, you can't be a bad writer. I dunno how much his stuff gets cleaned up, but Shoemaker's not a bad writer. 

I've never heard of Rosenberg, didn't even know ESPN had a "wrestling guy." I just like reading Grantland. 

I'd agree with that then. Shoemaker's definitely not bad (even if that Grantland style of articles is ridiculous). His lack of knowledge doesn't come through so bad in his writing (which is a testament to his ability I guess), but on the podcast, man - he makes Alvarez look like a genius.

On Rosenberg's wrestling interviews...

I like them in that he actually has discussions with them and asks them far better questions than anybody else. Because of this, I'll always watch them if only to hear some different discussions as opposed to the weekly interviews from these people that say the same thing over and over again....

....But I also constantly have the feeling that he's putting himself over every instance and endlessly sucking up which bugs me to no end and made the Bellas one almost unwatchable. I'm not saying he should be grilling these people by any means, but the way he sucks up to these people is just sickening at times, especially from someone who has (at least from what I've seen) taken rappers to task on a lot of issues.

A few things after reading through this thread:

Similar to FSW, I feel like I was a decade too late to the IWC. All the feuds of years past sounds so ridiculous. On one hand, I wish I could have observed the ridiculousness first hand, but at the same time, I'm kinda glad I didn't start really paying attention to internet wrestling stuff until 2003-2004 because some of the stuff listed was frightening. Do feuds like this still exist or has the IWC grown to the point where no one cares enough anymore?

I think Shoemaker is alright for what he is... a guy writing about wrestling, critically, on a fairly mainstream website. He's obviously not some super wealth of pro wrestling knowledge, but for the people who work for Grantland and I'm sure for the far majority of Grantland readers, Shoemaker is the be-all and and-all of wrestling knowledge. I mean, that's generally how I'm looked at by pretty much all my friends and I don't possess the knowledge that most others have on DVDVR.

I've been thinking of signing up for either the Observer (used to subscribe a while ago but haven't since 2007 or 2008) or the Torch, not so much for current stuff as much as historical issues. With The Network launching, I think it'd be neat to be able to read about the backstage happenings of some of the older stuff I watch on The Network. Does anyone know which service seems to have more/better issues backlogged?

And props to Bix for writing for F4W. I've always found his posts insightful.

Backlogged? I don't know, but Observer goes back to probably 08 or 09 and they've been adding an old issue a week for a while now. Currently in early 97. I'd imagine the Torch has more backlogged, but I think Observer is a better choice.

But that's just me. To each their own.