DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

And the point of my coming into the thread: watching an infomercial for the Dean Martin Celebrity Roast DVD set, I'm thought a WWE series along those lines could be the most epic thing ever. Get a bunch of legends totally into their cups to verbally destroy one of their brethren, have Nash host the proceedings, shoot it before a live crowd, etc. 

Of course you should get a bunch of old pro wrestlers liquored up and start talking shit about each other, what could possibly go wrong?  I'd love that show, but it would only last until someone said the wrong thing to Harley Race and he decided to beat the living shit out of everyone including the fans.

Turn it into a combo roast/Gong Show type deal, except instead of hitting a gong, it is Harley deciding he's had enough and beating the shit out of someone.

They do the wrestler roasts already guys, they're just not WWE ones. There's gonna be a Sheiky roast soon and one of the roasters is Buff Bagwell.

Not fucking with you. Dave reported it.

They can start by filming those, and then slowly turn them into WWE-only roasts, like Comedy Central did with the Friar's Club roasts.

Watching the Raw after Mania 11...

I know Nakano's totally a ringer in mid-90s WWF but holy fuck, that Nakano/Madusa match. That match was something else particularly in the context of New Generation WWF. Brutally stiff, some ridiculous spots, decent psych and selling. Shame it set up the debut of Bertha Faye but what a frickin' match.

EDITED to correct who was debuting.

Hadn't she already been Bertha Faye at that point and was repackaged as Monster Ripper or something like that for this angle?

No, that was her debut from what I found. I want to know why they debuted her Monster Ripper gimmick then went on to use the crappy Bertha Faye gimmick. From what little I have seen Monster Ripper was good in Japan and would have been pretty good feud for Alundra if they were going that direction action wise.

Speaking of the Iron Sheik: watching the Great American Bash 1990, in his match with Rotunda, his belly button is officially an outie. How much beer would he have been drinking on a daily basis for this to happen? It's quite disgusting.

I'm sure PTW will be upped. They were well into 1989 with Classics on Demand. As Bix said, the most complicated part of uploading everything is adding closed captioning to everything (apparently everything on The Network is CC'd and he said it's good quality), but I would imagine that it's easier to just CC Prime Time than to go through the whole process with stuff that never saw the light of day on Classics.

When Sting blew out his knee at Clash X, they really panicked by turning Luger back face. If the plan was to wait for a title change until Sting was ready to wrestle again, they needed a strong heel that Sting could match up against that wasn't Luger. They pretty much did nothing to plan for that. Instead, they turned Luger face and phased Muta out. 

In an alternate universe where Muta could have stuck around and was booked stronger (like to earn at least a few points at the Starrcade round robin and as an upper-midcard killer otherwise), Sting/Muta in another short feud would work if you have to turn Luger face or Sting/Luger if they stay the course and keep him heel. Also, there's always just a Sting/Sid feud available there beyond just Halloween Havoc. Instead, we got this Black Scorpion thing which was just a mess and was a really bad way to have Sting start his first World Championship reign.

Just watched the infamous Twin Hebners Hogan/Andre match and man does Hogan come off as the biggest crybaby in the post match interview (including the hilarious "How much money for the plastic surgery!").  Could never imagine Rock, Austin or even Cena reacting this way.  Still, probably one the best angles WWF's ever come up with IMO.

Watching the new Rewind w/ Rey and I couldn't help but notice all of the ringside photographers during the WM XXII main event. Was this the last WM to allow outside cameras/press on the floor? It's a small detail that I miss these days.

I am watching summerslam 97, I think chyna screwed up big time in the finish of the triple h vs mankind cage match. She started to pull trips out of the ring but stopped, but then mick does his "best" superfly impression, and starts to climb out again, then she goes back to start dragging him again...I def think she screwed the spot to hell

I am watching summerslam 97, I think chyna screwed up big time in the finish of the triple h vs mankind cage match. She started to pull trips out of the ring but stopped, but then mick does his "best" superfly impression, and starts to climb out again, then she goes back to start dragging him again...I def think she screwed the spot to hell

Not only did she screw up the spot, she almost legit knocked Foley out when she hit him in the head with the door.

Not only did she screw up the spot, she almost legit knocked Foley out when she hit him in the head with the door.

Which explains why trips didn't leave when he had the chance, because the whole thing was screwed

That cage door to the skull was pretty damn sickening, although not surprising because it's Foley. He was probably put off by the fact he wasn't knocked out completely by it.

In his book he said that he told Chyna to swing the door as hard as she could and that it was on him to protect himself.

Saw the Austin Jim Ross altercation from the Smackdown after Mania X-7 for the first time since watching it first run. Damn they were really trying to get Austin over as heel so badly.