DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Just watched No Mercy 2001. OK show but man Rock/Jericho was really good. Probably my one of my favorite Jericho WWF matches. He was on point and didn't botch anything. Also enjoyed the Hardys/Storm Hurricane opener. It was funny that the most over person in the match was Lita. I don't remember Ivory in the Alliance though?

Catching up on WM Rewind show watching the Cena vs HBK one from Detroit.   Had no idea that the original plan for the match was Cena vs Triple H rematch from last year.   Good thing that didn't happen because I can't think that would have been a good rematch.  It wasn't like last year's main event was that great plus we were in the middle of the goofy Triple H babyface era

Just watched No Mercy 2001. OK show but man Rock/Jericho was really good. Probably my one of my favorite Jericho WWF matches. He was on point and didn't botch anything. Also enjoyed the Hardys/Storm Hurricane opener. It was funny that the most over person in the match was Lita. I don't remember Ivory in the Alliance though?

I really like the show and always rated Chris Jericho vs. The Rock. My 2001 Match of the Year.

• Like 1

Catching up on WM Rewind show watching the Cena vs HBK one from Detroit.   Had no idea that the original plan for the match was Cena vs Triple H rematch from last year.   Good thing that didn't happen because I can't think that would have been a good rematch.  It wasn't like last year's main event was that great plus we were in the middle of the goofy Triple H babyface era

Actually the rematches between Cena and HHH later on were fairly good as Cena got much better in the latter half of 06.

Was that the show with Austin/Angle/RVD in the main? If so, I remember flipping back and fourth between that and the Yankees/Diamondbacks World Series Game 6 and being very disappointed when RVD didn't win the title.

I really like the show and always rated Chris Jericho vs. The Rock. My 2001 Match of the Year.

Havent seen this Match since after it happened, how does the Royal Rumble match that followed match up to this?

Was that the show with Austin/Angle/RVD in the main? If so, I remember flipping back and fourth between that and the Yankees/Diamondbacks World Series Game 6 and being very disappointed when RVD didn't win the title.

Yeah same show. Angle was in German Suplex overdose in that match.

To let you know that the wrestlers, who are real, may say or do things that, while they are real, they are not real in sense that they did not *really* happen to their *real* opponent which is all predetermined.

• Like 1

I just hit the live stream in the middle of a Clash 18 match between the Steiners and Vader/Mr. Hughes. In about five minutes, I saw:

• Vader hit a nasty powerslam on Scott. 
  • Rick hit a second-rope belly-to-belly on Vader
  • Scott hit a back suplex on Vader
  • Mr. Hughes's feet nearly hitting the lights on what is the greatest back bodydrop I have ever seen in my life from Rick Steiner

I was planning on watching something else, but this was just amazing, even by the standards of '92-'95 WCW. 

Who thought it was a good idea to have Mabel win the '95 KOTR and not Shawn Michaels? Did they figure Michaels didn't need the rub as he was obviously the next torchbearer?

I'm guessing they wanted to build a challenger for Diesel. There was a severe dearth of main event heels at that time. 

I'm thinking about the time period, and I'm not sure who would have been a good choice. The feud with Sid was played out. Owen Hart might have been the most over heel that made sense in that role, which is not inspiring (and I love Owen Hart). There was Jeff Jarrett, but he was still firmly in the midcard. They ended up turning Bulldog a couple of months too late, but in retrospect, they probably should have done it earlier so he could feud with Diesel. 

Who thought it was a good idea to have Mabel win the '95 KOTR and not Shawn Michaels? Did they figure Michaels didn't need the rub as he was obviously the next torchbearer?

I'm guessing they wanted to build a challenger for Diesel. There was a severe dearth of main event heels at that time. 

I'm thinking about the time period, and I'm not sure who would have been a good choice. The feud with Sid was played out. Owen Hart might have been the most over heel that made sense in that role, which is not inspiring (and I love Owen Hart). There was Jeff Jarrett, but he was still firmly in the midcard. They ended up turning Bulldog a couple of months too late, but in retrospect, they probably should have done it earlier so he could feud with Diesel. 

Makes sense, he did face Diesel two months later at SS (almost breaking his back).

It just seems so out of place. Maybe not Billy Gunn out of place, but still....

Havent seen this Match since after it happened, how does the Royal Rumble match that followed match up to this?

It's not as good as the career best for both guys at No Mercy, but it's good.

I'm with, Brian.

Makes sense, he did face Diesel two months later at SS (almost breaking his back).

It just seems so out of place. Maybe not Billy Gunn out of place, but still....

It definitely feels forced. It's right after the MOM heel turn where they beat up Oscar, I'm pretty sure, so it felt like a fast-track at the time for me, even as a kid.

In retrospect, they had two options that were probably better. First, build up Yokozuna again as a threat. It had only been a year or so since he was champ. On the other hand, he was putting on weight and falling out of favor.

Second, turn one of the many faces they had that would slot into that spot: Razor, Bret, HBK, Taker, or Bulldog. HBK had just turned face and Razor, Taker, and Bret were still fresh as faces. I do think turning Bulldog earlier was probably the right move as I earlier mentioned.

Turning Bulldog was anything but the right move considering the two shows he headlined as a heel were at the time the lowest PPV buyrates in WWF history, not to mention his heel turn doing nothing for the ratings.

The right move may have just been to turn Diesel heel considering the only real threats to his title were all faces, and his title reign at that point was clearly a bomb.

I definitely would have taken the belt off of Nash sooner. Having him as champion for a whole year was a bad idea. Probably should have put it back on Bret sooner, building to Wrestlemania 12 with Shawn. Money couldn't have been worse I don't think.

I'm sorta going through '94-'95 and almost nothing from Diesel works for me. I haven't watched any of the Raws though, so maybe I'm missing something. The Bret match at the Rumble is just mediocre and certainly overbooked. They should have at least made Diesel look strong on his first PPV as champ.

I still think they should have turned Razor and had him take over the Million Dollar Corporation. 

I'm looking to work my way through the WCCW shows they have up. Are there any I MUST see or should I just start at the first that is available and follow it as chronologically as possible? Anything in particular to be aware of? I've seen the WWE doc on WCCW and a few of the bigger matches here and there but that's my main exposure to it. 

From Mike Johnson:

WWE will add Saturday Night's Main Event specials to the WWE Network this coming Monday. The old NBC and FOX specials will be added to the Vault section as well as air on the Network's programming.