DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Bigelow does not get enough credit for that LT match.

I agree. Bigelow was great in that match. LT totally held up his end though. I liked the fact that he stuck to a lot of forearm strikes b/c that's what he was good at.

And Kevin Green is knocking on the door. He was pretty awesome too. Reggie White, well...

I know Greene is a position coach in the NFL, but I'm surprised he never tried to be a pro wrestler after retiring from football. He seemed like a guy who legitimately loved the professional wrestling and was one of the most competent 'celebrity' wrestlers ever. Maybe he just felt that late 30's was too old to really get started.

And Kevin Green is knocking on the door. He was pretty awesome too. Reggie White, well...

I know Greene is a position coach in the NFL, but I'm surprised he never tried to be a pro wrestler after retiring from football. He seemed like a guy who legitimately loved the professional wrestling and was one of the most competent 'celebrity' wrestlers ever. Maybe he just felt that late 30's was too old to really get started.

Same here. He seemed like he legit loved being in the ring and took it pretty seriously.

I'm watching Mania 11 and I have to say, even though no one rates it as a great Mania at all but it is really, really terrible. The Diesel/HBK match is pretty f'n awful in my opinion. Work wise it's a passable match but the story is so ass backwards and Nash was a bad face. It worked about a million times better once they reversed the roles for the Good Friends/Better Enemies match.

Macho Man/Doink on this latest episode of RAW is the best. It starts off pretty hot, Doink has a lot of nice offense, and the mini Macho Man and ending run had me actually laughing.

I wonder why Vince McMahon wanted to push Savage into a part-time role. Savage was awesome in the ring in pretty much any type of match you could put him in, the crowd loved him, and he was good for about another three or four years of very good in-ring production past 1993.

I'm watching RAW episode 28 right now - where the hell was this filmed?

It looks like they are underground in a reinforced bunker or something.

The Bonnie Castle Recreation Center in Alexandria Bay, New York. Google Maps says it's across the river from Canada in upstate NY.

No idea why they booked that location, unless the Manhattan Center was a late scratch and they needed a location. Or Vince was on a vacation to St. Lawrence County

Just caught taker-triple h wm27 on the live feed. Was taker just selling or was he legit hurt after the match. He seemed to be really flustered/aggregated, also did they have music issues, I seem to remember "cant no grave keep my body down" while he laid there for 10 minutes lol, but this his instrumental entrancd

Mania 2 is very much a "You-had-to-be-there-at-the-time" type of show.

There's some good stuff to be found. Hogan-Bundy is passable and the two tag matches are good-to-excellent but as far as everything else, it has to be taken in 1986 context.

On the bright side, I've always felt that WM2 being so bloated became the impetus for what WM3 would be production-wise. If you watch them back to back, you'll notice that just about everything that makes 2 hard to watch was eliminated a year later.

also did they have music issues, I seem to remember "cant no grave keep my body down" while he laid there for 10 minutes lol, but this his instrumental entrancd

Yeah, they edited the entrances as Taker had Ain't No Grave and HHH had For Whom the Bell Tolls for his initial intro.

The dirt sheet reports I read said that Cena asked for promo time after the match and they just gave it to him no questions asked. So they had no idea what he was going to say and the promo was Cena basically going into business for himself.

As to why he said that stuff about leaving when he didn't leave, the most common rumors I've seen are either he thought he jacked up his already torn bicep in the match and would need to take time off or he was planning on taking some time off to deal with his divorce but for whatever reason changed his mind and decided to keep working.

Mania 2 is very much a "You-had-to-be-there-at-the-time" type of show.

There's some good stuff to be found. Hogan-Bundy is passable and the two tag matches are good-to-excellent but as far as everything else, it has to be taken in 1986 context.

The loud "bullshit" chant in the opener shows it probably wasn't great if you were watching at the time either! I watched Bulldogs vs Dream Team and it was ok, but nothing special. I have watched the Funks tag before and remember really enjoying it, so I'll have to check that out tonight.

You're not going to make me defend a 5-minute DCOR as an opener. Not happening, sir. Or about 4-5 other things on that show.

But I've advocated the Funks match as being superior to the tag title match for ages.

I will confess that 80% of my enjoyment of that show revolves around sentimental value. Especially if I can remember the greasy takeout I had with it from 1986 while watching the VHS rental. Which I can.

It was atrocious but you gotta love the crowd turning on T and cheering for Piper. The first instance of the smark crowd turning on the status quo!

I've always been fascinated by the Wrestlemania 2 card that could've been. According to Bret, he was supposed to have a singles match with Steamboat which would've been awesome even if it only went 8 minutes or so. And from what I've read on the Classics board, Vince had a verbal agreement with Nikita to come in and be Hogan's opponent but he preferred to stay with Crockett for whatever reason.

Add those two matches in with the two tag matches and the Celebrity Battle Royal and that would've been a really damn good Mania card.

The Piper-T boxing match is atrocious.

Roddy Piper talking about the boxing match on the Legends "Renegades"  show was much more interesting than the match about how they were trying to work the match and how almost none of it worked.

It was atrocious but you gotta love the crowd turning on T and cheering for Piper. The first instance of the smark crowd turning on the status quo!

I've always been fascinated by the Wrestlemania 2 card that could've been. According to Bret, he was supposed to have a singles match with Steamboat which would've been awesome even if it only went 8 minutes or so. And from what I've read on the Classics board, Vince had a verbal agreement with Nikita to come in and be Hogan's opponent but he preferred to stay with Crockett for whatever reason.

Add those two matches in with the two tag matches and the Celebrity Battle Royal and that would've been a really damn good Mania card.

That's easy: the guy was a communist and hated money.

• Like 1

That's easy: the guy was a communist and hated money.

Eh, it was still a couple years before Crockett started low-balling everyone's contract renewal that led to everyone and their mother having a cup of coffee in the WWF in the late 80's/early 90's.

Shit, sorry for the spoiler man. My fault.

No worries. I can't expect spoiler-free for something that's 30 years old!  ;)

So what'd you think of the show?

I am not crazy about JYD at all in WWF, so I was not pleased as a fan to see him run over everyone on the way to the top. The matches were all short, of necessity, and some of them were quite decent. I think I mentioned this before, but they did at least book a variety of finishes so as to keep it interesting and make you guess.

I need to rewatch Piper-Hogan because I think it was late night when I came to that one. But I don't recall it being anything special.

Without question, though, no one got the best out of JYD in WWF like Terry Funk did. Although Harley pinballing for him all over America came close. 

I don't think I've ever seen Terry-JYD. I'll have to go find some stuff. Truth is that I tend to zone out when JYD's on the screen.

I used to be the same with Duggan, though I have begun to study him a little bit. Now there's a guy who worked a limited style in WWF -- and who knew how to squeeze every little bit out of it to keep the crowd on his side. It's repetitive and thus frequently can be dull. But it's pretty damned impressive.

Without question, though, no one got the best out of JYD in WWF like Terry Funk did. Although Harley pinballing for him all over America came close. 

I don't think I've ever seen Terry-JYD. I'll have to go find some stuff.

What amazes me is that had the angle to start it (Funk stamping Dog with his branding iron) taken place in Watts' territory, there would have been a smoking crater where that building once stood. But it was upstate New York, so just booing happened. 

I have been going through my history of wrestling watching everything in chronological order. Everything about the King Kong Bundy explanation of the Ric Flair Bounty on WCCW episode 48 is everything I love about Pro Wrestling. Bundy is involved in a labor dispute with H&H Enterprises so Mercer has to find him on a loading dock to get Bundy's take on the bounty situation. Bundy took the check from Flair to give to Hart but he made a copy of it first. He then makes a copy to sell to the Von Erichs. He makes a quasi-face turn challenging Kabuki but runs down Fritz for not paying the amount Bundy originally asked for. Before watching this I had no idea Bundy was this good in an interview. This entire segment is simply amazing.

• Like 2