DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

If we don't get to carry over our players for the full game, I will be pissed.

Don't get your hopes up. That almost never happens in console betas.

Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta carried over my stats.

So my final verdict is that I really like this game.  I actually had Destiny DT's last night while playing Mass Effect co-op with Rippa.

Now for the scorecard:

WHAT WORKED

When it comes to MMO's, I am a huge mark for mythology because it gives you a sense of purpose.  It needs to answer the Three W's.

- Who the hell am I?

- Why in the hell am I here?

- What in the hell do I do next?

The whole premise of the war already being lost gives rationale to the game mechanics and explains why the Guardians need folks like me leaping about the landscape shooting things in the head.  It also explains why there is an endless supply of things to shoot in the head ergo we're holding a pure defensive posture.

Player creation is dirt simple.  Pick a class, pick a race, pick a face, and go kill something.  I may get creative later on with my Exo Titan and go for elaborate markings, but grab and go worked fine for the purposes of the beta.

The classes seem evenly balanced although Hunters and Warlocks are clearly the more popular classes.  Bungie may have to do something to get more love to Titans because there is definitely a lot of class synergy going on and there is a lot of added value to having a Hunter, a Warlock and a Titan work together.  Maybe offer Bonus XP in missions to fireteams where all of the classes are represented?

I've played Halo for longer than I care to admit, so the combat scheme is very intuitive.  Sniper Rifles and Auto Rifles have the kill power you'd expect them to have and the Heavy Weapons are also nice and lethal.

The Hive, The Fallen.. This shit rings of the Covenant and I am actually okay with this.   Some may find it repetitive and familiarity sometimes breeds contempt, but the ME3 guy in me finds that shooting aliens in the head can have stress relieving benefits.  Sometimes you can fuck something up while you are trying to make it better.  Thanks for just improving the wheel instead of trying to re-invent it, Bungie.

I like the timed Co-Op events.  Rippa, Mark and I got a Gold medal for defending some excavation site and I thumped the Fallen Walker Tank with some randoms.  I like games that actually encourage you to work with random players.

Bungie did us all a favor and found a way to equally reward PvE and PvP via Vanguard Levels and The Crucible and the bounty system related to both.  I am going to try my hand in the Crucible anyway because I am a completionist, but it is nice to know that I can advance respectably and get my hands on higher tier gear without having to engage in direct combat with other players.

Powers are fucking sweet.  I loved the Hunter grenades and the throwing knife and I am looking forward to seeing what the other classes have to offer.

Vehicles... Fuck yeah.  I love my speeder bike.

I dig the fact that you can earn upgrades for weapons as you use them so long as they are green or above.  Means that I don't have to ditch a gun any sooner than I have to.

My jumpship is a plot device and I am good with that.   I have taken part in aerial vehicle / spaceship combat before in a Bungie / 343 game and it was infuriating.  Halo: Reach.... Sabre fighter dogfights with the Covenant can eat a bag of dicks.  Anyone who suggests that this game needs spaceship combat should have his ass kicked.

WHAT DIDN'T WORK

Obviously, no one at Bungie likes pulse rifles, scout rifles, shotguns, or hand cannons.  They don't have the stopping power of some of the other weapons and I have heard that they are nigh useless in PvP.  You'd think that the developers of Halo would've at least overpowered the shotgun.

I hate item farming and that seems to be the primary way to earn Glimmer or improve your gear other than bounties or grinding missions over and over again.   That is going to get old fast so just make Glimmer a little easier to come by, please.  I can see this turning into a lengthy process and I will lose interest when the game feels like a part-time job.

Devil's Lair was a pain in the ass because there were stretches of the mission where absolutely nothing dropped any ammo.  I am a logistician, so normally you'd think I'd enjoy being forced to manage my ammo count (i do..), but when you are stuck with a couple of idiot randoms that want to fight everything, bullets do not need to be fucking scarce.  I need to be able to shoot my way to a rescue in case one of these douchenozzles that I am dependent on for victory finds himself in trouble.

Speaking of Devil's Lair, your mission takes place in the Cosmopolis smack dab in the middle of dozens of other players jumping around farming Glimmer and items and they are a distraction.  Two words... Threaded Dungeon...

Race seem to be there purely for cosmetic purposes.  I know Bungie is trying to avoid cookie cutter gameplay, but it'd be nice if there were actual benefit to marrying race and class..

It'd be nice to know what the fuck to do with all of that spinmetal, sapphire wire, and weapon parts I stockpiled when I dismantled items for extra Glimmer.  If we're bringing crafting into the equation, I need some sort of heads up.

• Like 1

Gonzo, fightingokra, and mattopersonalit are not showing up as members of the clan.  you have to select set as (xbox or playstation, as seen in post #186 in this very thread).

The companion app shows 6 members and 3 admins with Gonzo, Matt and myself showing as members.

I had no problem with the shotguns. Used one as my go-to gun most of the time.

I am used to killing stuff almost instantly with the Halo shotgun from short to medium range in story mode and in Slayer matches.  I had to get in the face of Fallen in order to get the job done and it took almost two to three shells to put some enemies down for the count.

Shotguns could stand to be a little more hurty and have a bit more spread.

Fusion Rifles do the damage I'd expect a shotgun to do at close range and the beam goes through multiple targets standing in front of each other.

I was able to Run & Gun with an FR better than I could with a shotgun even with the FR's two second warm-up timer and whatever didn't vaporize immediately died when I stuck my throwing knife in its skull or when my Swarm Grenade detonated.

Gonzo, fightingokra, and mattopersonalit are not showing up as members of the clan.  you have to select set as (xbox or playstation, as seen in post #186 in this very thread).

The companion app shows 6 members and 3 admins with Gonzo, Matt and myself showing as members.

I hit the thing that says "Set as PlayStation Clan" on my Bungie account a couple of minutes ago.

Eh, it'll be five or six weeks before I get my PS4. Pretty sure this can get straightened around before then.

I hit the thing that says "Set as PlayStation Clan" on my Bungie account a couple of minutes ago.

Eh, it'll be five or six weeks before I get my PS4. Pretty sure this can get straightened around before then.

Yeah, I am trying to get this mortgage hemmed up for this townhouse I hope will be complete by next February.

I may end up getting this for my 360 and trying to port my profile and characters to XBone later on.

I'm definitely avoiding the Day One launch like Ebola.  I have never seen an MMO launch go forward without major disasters.  The EverQuest and WoW launches still give me the shakes.

I clicked "Set as Playstation Clan" and it confirmed me, but I did not see myself pop up in the list.

Screenshot_2014-07-29-10-46-08_zpsd3eba8

If that is huge, apologies, I'm still learning how the board works, html is a little rusty and I can't remember bbcode for shit.

Briscoe, it will say you've joined the group, not the clan until you set it as either the playstation or xbox (whichever you are going to play on).  Then we get a nifty little clan tag next to our name I believe (in-game) and more than likely get to fight against other clans in MP. 

JT.  Trust me dude, Titans get a LOT of love in the multiplayer.  They get like an armor boost or something (in Iron Banner, not so much in straight crucible), and they have that sick special HULK SMASH where they punch the ground.  It is spectacular for hitting as you're going into a capture point and just obliterating a team.  I had started a Titan before my marathon session in the beta, but I was too hung up on getting that last piece of armor for my hunter than leveling my Titan (which I should have been doing). 

Keep in mind, this was a beta, they're going to tweak things here and there.  The shotguns work well if you shoot then immediately punch/melee,  or you stick the gun down their throat and pull the trigger.  I'd used my 62 damage copperhead shotgun on Venus in the crucible and iron banner. I didn't do that well because the range is limited and those goddamn fusion rifles everywhere.   The blast/melee combo works well in multiplayer.  I think they will tweak the shotgun because it did seem underpowered compared to other special weapons

• Like 1

JT.  Trust me dude, Titans get a LOT of love in the multiplayer. 

That's good to know because I didn't see too many Titans running around in the Tower when I was online. 

Most of the players I saw using Exos and Humans were Warlocks or Hunters.  Nearly everyone I saw playing an Awoken character was a Warlock.

I was working on a Hunter and Warlock, both as an Awoken.

My main thoughts were this: Story mode was great. Hated multiplayer. That had large amounts to do with me being awful at it, and that might change if I can get a higher level character, but man I am just brutal at that form of multiplayer.

I can handle myself in FPS deathmatches very well (My Halo 4 K/D average is better than my GTA:O K/D), but the RPGish dice rolling that is obviously taking place behind the scenes in Destiny combat gives me pause.  I am not sure how well it will transition to PvP or how I will perform.

I will definitely be a Titan. Fits my play style really well. I know why it doesn't, but I wish it charged a little faster.

Reminds me a lot of playing as Krieg in Borderlands 2.

"Oh there's a pile of 5 enemies over there??"

*dives right in the middle of them*

And a big thanks to Mis who got me leveled up in just a few hours.

Not a problem man.  As far as recharging your super goes, you can augment that a number of different ways.  Certain weapons and armor will grant a bonus to charging your super (or the cool down time as bungee calls it), as well as scoring in the multiplayer, from what I understand.