DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Went to the NXT tapings tonight as they taped 4 more episodes that will last till about the end of April. Not a very good bunch of shows especially compared to the beginning of last year..

Kalisto had his debut match in the dark match beating El Local. He looked ok and was over but not a lot of highspots. Lots of kicks though.

First taping was the start of a lot of Sasha Banks matches. She had 3 in all. Lost to both Emma(1st taping), Bayley(second taping and teamed with Charlotte who beat Paige and Emma. I guess Charlotte is the new number 1 contender after beating Paige.

Speaking of new number 1 contenders, Brodus Clay is the new one for the NXT title. He returned from nowhere to beat Xavier Woods. After the match, he called out Neville and said he was getting no respect. Brodus attacked Sylvester Lefort after he had a match and then Neville accepted his challenge. This lead to a ok match in week 3 which Neville won after Brodus missed a splash on the floor and was counted out. Brodus looked in horrible shape

The best segment of the night was Occupy NXT with Bo Dallas. Bo wanted another title match and asked the NXT fans to occupy with him like Bryan. This lead to almost everyone turning their backs at him. He then snaps and it was way funnier than I described. JBL comes out and says Bo doesn't get a title shot and has to face Justin Gabriel. Bo won.

Other than that, not a lot happened. Corey Graves beat Sami Zayn after a injury angle. Sami was knocked loopy. The Ascencion had 3 matches. 2 Squashes and the main event of the evening where they teamed with Corey Graves in a losing effort vs The Usos and Sami Zayn in the best match of the night. Great Khali beat CJ Parker in a true Match of the year candidate.  Actually it wasn't that bad. Adam Rose had 1 match and now he has 4 guys dressed up in these big air suits as part of his posse. Tyler Breeze had 2 squashes which were short. No Solomon Crowe either.

Next taping is April 24th with Big E.  NXT has really taken a hit now that Cesaro and Summer Rae seem to be gone and Neville has gotten boring. Even people like Paige and Breeze aren't as over as they once were. NXT needs some new blood, especially heel divas as Sasha and Charlotte aren't good enough to hold it together.

This was just an episode of NXT. This is why I love NXT. It doesn't NEED to be spectacular every week. It just needs to have matches and advance storylines. Sometimes Cesaro will attack a ring announcer in order to bait William Regal. Sometimes Bo Dallas will have a PowerPoint. But sometimes it's just slight bullying of Bailey. I'm totally fine with a low-key episode.

I thought Paige/Sasha was a solid match. It wasn't anything great but it didn't need to be. I really like Paige adding that submission as her finisher, especially as her Paige Turner thing wasn't quite working. It's a little too complex to get on quickly, which will come in handy when she has really competitive matches. If it's hooked, you have to tap. But getting it 100% hooked is the thing.

I really hope The Ascension get a rival and quickly. Those dudes are going to stagnate without someone else as foils. I'd love to see Sami and Neville team up to go against them. Pipe dream, perhaps.

I thought the divas promo was really fun. I don't get the Charlotte hate. I think she's been pretty great the past two weeks as a spoiled, entitled brat. Nattie was good coming in as the older dude in the neighborhood who doesn't like the freshman football player bullying the grade school kid. Nattie's NXT run has made me come around to her. I used to think she was the worst but she's pretty decent.

I loved Tyler Breeze selling out Xavier Woods like that. Lana's outfits are such great wrestling trash. Imagine if she went into an actual workplace dressed like that? "Uhm, you need a blouse... Go see HR."

The Main Event was a bit slow. I still liked it, though. Both Bo and Big Cass are good when they have someone fast who can move around to up the pace of a match. They aren't those guys, and that's fine. The announcers during Bo matches kill me. They should really make it a point to get over that the dude uses every part of the ring to win a match and is super clever. That was what set up the ending tonight. He had Cassidy in the ropes and actually kicked the rope across his eye to shift momentum leading to the pin. The NXT announcers are usually so good but they haven't underlined that at all, but it's clearly there.

I agree that the main event was pretty weak sauce. The crowd had it correct with their "boring" chance. Still, it's great to see you show that's about 90% in ring action.

Still getting a feel for the various characters. But if this is what passes for a bad episode, that I have solid hopes for this series.

Enjoyed Paige/Sasha. The divas are always the highlight here. I like Charlotte a lot, Paige is obviously great and I think Sasha's really good too. Thought Bo was pretty good in the main and it was good to see Mason Ryan even if the match was nothing special, I miss him on the main roster.. hope he gets another shot.

• Like 1

Bo's high pitched voice has the compounding effect of making me 1) Despise him when he opens his mouth  &  2) Endear him to me as a person I want to see just have the bricks beat off of him in the ring.  He has the chickenshit delusional heel schtick down it seems

KONNOR needs to kill his little buddy to death, add some facepaint, and start YA! YA! YA!ing his way through the singles ranks. His lack of choke based offense bothers me, but otherwise I inexplicably like the guy.

I want Bo make the decision that he's too big for NXT and plans to become a movie star, and have him write, direct, produce, and star in his own version of The Room. 'oh hai kalisto'

I was shocked to see that Flair's daughter is still in her 20's. I had her pegged at about 35.

Sometimes you live the road and sometimes, the road lives you.

So basically we assume that Charlotte was left in the backseat of the car unattended as a kid while Ric was in the bar or hotel shitfaced drunk and naked.  I thought I heard stories that JJ Dillon was a babysitter for Flair a number of times

I was shocked to see that Flair's daughter is still in her 20's. I had her pegged at about 35.

Sometimes you live the road and sometimes, the road lives you.

So basically we assume that Charlotte was left in the backseat of the car unattended as a kid while Ric was in the bar or hotel shitfaced drunk and naked.  I thought I heard stories that JJ Dillon was a babysitter for Flair a number of times

If you rewatch that classic Wargames, JJ actually has her in one of those front baby carriers.

• Like 2

OK, why doesn't Rusev just use that fallaway slam into a samoan drop as his finisher or that insane sambo suplex. Both of those would be perfectly fine finishers, whereas the Accolade is just the most boring submission move imaginable.

OK, why doesn't Rusev just use that fallaway slam into a samoan drop as his finisher or that insane sambo suplex. Both of those would be perfectly fine finishers, whereas the Accolade is just the most boring submission move imaginable.

Evil foreign dude innit.

But I agree - I don't think the Camel Clutch is a viable submission in the 21st century. Jinder actually started doing a good job of applying it fluidly but once it was on, it was on. Super-athlete or not, that isn't going to fly for long; Cena will likely be powering out by the end of the year or at least crawling to the ropes - neither of which will look great. He should be using the Tazmission - heck even Sam Shaw's Kata Gatame deal would work.

I'm pretty sure the gladiator was Adam Scherr/Braun Stowman, the strongman that got signed last year. I remember reading that Mickey Keegan had to retire because of a neck injury and is now working backstage at NXT as a creative assistant.

Yeah, looking at pictures, that's him. He definitely needs an Ogre gimmick at some point. The fans could chant "Neeeeeeeeeerds!" with him before he hits his finish. Then people can speculate that the WWE fanbase is primarily made up white-collar frat guys, because chants.

Watching NXT Arrival. Trying to decide if the crowd chanting "N-X-T" and "Ole Ole" is cool or if is annoying.

Loved Zayn flailing his arms about while being swung. These guys' attention to detail is terrific in this match.

Haven't gotten to it yet, but I realized the Emma-Paige match I watched was from July. I think this show is the pimped one, not the last summer match?

Emma-Paige at Arrival could have been a SHIMMER main event. I see SDR all over this match, from the back-to-back standup to the power bomb to Paige's finisher.

Have we ever heard a "this is awesome" chant for a Divas match - when it's clearly about the wrestling and not the tits?

Also, the Emma intro video did a great job catching me up on her character.

• Like 2

Someone else spotted Simon Gotch among the Rose partiers wearing a fez.  Saw him in my area a few times when he was Ryan Drago; hope he debuts on TV soon.

He and Becky Lynch have been in a pun war on Twitter for the past week or two...tremendous.