DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

I somehow allowed myself to forget that the worm takes, like, 30 seconds from start to finish.

God I hate that more than maybe any thing in wrestling ever.

To be fair, if you were going to make that happen in 2014, it was booked perfectly. Get the nostalgia pop, let him deliver on it, and then have the Ascension  murder him. They couldn't have done that any better than they did. 

As great as Cesaro/Zayn and how good Neville/Dallas was, I can't help but not like the change in booking. They were very obviously leading up to Sami Zayn taking the title from Bo Dallas, but once the Network and this special was announced, they basically scrapped everything between Bo Dallas and Sami Zayn up to this point. It should've been Sami Zayn standing tall at the end of the show, having finally defeated Bo Dallas and winning the title. That was the obvious booking. Shoehorning Adrian Neville in to the match instead has never felt right to me.

I think I'm probably being a tad hyperbolic, but not only did I think this was decidedly better than the Cesaro/Cena match, I thought this was the best Cesaro singles match since his match with Morishima in ROH. Now that I type that out, I feel like I'm probably forgetting some other obvious ones, but I'll stand by it. 

Best ever Cesaro singles match for me was against Daniel Bryan on the 22nd of July RAW during the Daniel Bryan Gauntlet. Best overall match was Team RoH vs. Team CZW in the Cage of Death at ROH Death Before Dishonor IV.

I could honestly see Bo regain the title in the near future via nefarious means, then they build to Dallas-Zayn from there.  The interview on last week's show made a point that the title was still Zayn's eventual goal...while Neville did beat Zayn in their previous encounter, I don't see that potential matchup having the same oomph behind it as Dallas-Zayn.

I think they should have given Rawley a gimmick where he is related to Nikolai Volkoff. Not sure why but I thought of Volkoff when I saw him. Maybe it's just the red tights and the fact I've seen so much of Nikolai on the network lately.

Finished the show today as we went out for dinner last night before the women's match. It was a great show and I look forward to more NXT.

Saw the entire show on my tablet last night (didn't have any issues into the start of the main when I went to bed) and finished it just now on lunch on my phone over a 4G connection, which, wow, was surprsing.

Everyone has already said everything I have thought, but i'd like to say Mojo has a HORRIBLE Finish. Just horrible. A guy who stays hyped having essentially a moved where he SITS is not a hype move. He's green as shit, so whatever, but he could easily be given a better move than that. Why not a POUNNNCE? That's HYPED.

Was hoping for Soloman Crowe or Enzo to make a show, but oh well.

Very good, and it's cool seeing more folks checing out NXT.

After the stream crapped out on me last night, went ahead and watched the whole show again. Cesaro/Zayn and Paige/Emma were great on their second watches with me probably actually liking Paige/Emma slightly more.

I think the MVP of the ladder match has to be the production crew. While they missed one or two spots earlier in the show they did an awesome job during the ladder match. So many of the spots were made better by the fact that they ended up looking like they came out of no where because of the production crew. 

Rewatched the whole show this afternoon after the stream crapped out on me last night.

Cesaro/Zayn and Paige/Emma were as great on their second watchings as they were on their first. That said I think I probably ended up liking Paige/Emma slightly more.

The ladder match was a really solid ladder match. Really I would say it should be what a ladder match should be nowadays as they did a lot without completely killing each other and without killing the gimmick of the match. Sometimes teasing the "oh my god" is better than actually doing the "oh my god" spot. Plus the production crew was on it during the ladder match. So many of the match spots were made that much better by the fact that Bo and Adrian just seemed to pop out of no where.

I was a bit surprised that no one made a joke that the reason Regal was married "17 times" was in fact because of his habit of calling women the wrong name.

I was a bit surprised that no one made a joke that the reason Regal was married "17 times" was in fact because of his habit of calling women the wrong name.

And because he is addicted to wedding cake   :lol:

Regal is so awesome that you can forgive the fact that about half of the time he was struggling with a complete sentence with his studdering or just being so damn excited he can't control himself.

I think the best part of the show was probably the announce team. EVERYTHING they did was to enhance the work being done in the ring. They put over holds, moves, story, the wrestlers...My hope is that with more people watching NXT they start to wonder why Maggle, JBL, and Cardiac are still taking up space on Raw and Smackdown. 

• Like 1

Just got around to watching hour two of it. While this show wasn't a win from beginning to end, the goal was to get new viewers hyped about NXT as a whole, and this did that. After so many years of sterile programming from WWE, this show had passion and excitement in it - and it reminded me of the excitement I always had watching wrestling as a kid. I'd put Cesaro-Zayn as the best match, with Emma-Page in second place, and the main event in third.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/02/nxt-arrival.html

Screens -

30465b311167841.jpg

ce1fbd311167920.jpg

0c18d4311167954.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/28ugbg94vgtcauv1j2mytmevtnjztghv

Well the guy that booked NXT when it was really good early last year is now booking Smackdown isn't he?

NXT had another show at Full Sail tonight. Not a bad show but very long and 3 Corey Graves matches is almost as bad as 3 Ascension matches. Also Solomon Crowe debuted.

Lots of Divas matches took place. Charlotte beat Emma after faking a injury. Paige beat Sasha but was attacked by Charlotte. I'm guessing that's her next challenge. Bayley beat Sasha and then Natalya beat Charlotte by DQ when  Sasha got involved. Bret Hart was in Nattie's corner and looked like he was out of it.

As I mentioned, Corey Graves had 3 matches. Two vs Yoshi and one vs Sami Zayn. First Yoshi match had Graves calling out Cesaro and Zayn. After the match, Zayn came out and challenged Corey. Zayn beat Corey in a good match but not great. Later in the show, Corey injured Zayn as he was preparing to face Tyler Breeze.

Breeze also was booked in 3 matches but only wrestled in one. He was supposed to face Xavier Woods but Rusev took his place. Finally in the last taping, Breeze beat Woods. Woods was a lot more serious tonight than usual.

Adam Rose is now the most over guy on NXT besides Cesaro. Such a great entrance. He had a good match with Camacho and I love his Michael Hayes gimmick.

Solomon Crowe debuted beating Sylvester Lefort. Pretty disappointing as he seems to have dropped the Ipad gimmick and came out to generic music.

Sheamus beat Aiden English in the best match of the night. Long match and this was Aiden's come out part. Sheamus gave Aiden a lot of the match which was cool.

The tapings started with the Outlaws who got the biggest pop of the night. Full Sail loves the Outlaws.

Main event was Adrian Neville vs Bo Dallas rematch. It was better than the ladder match and Neville won with a reverse 450.

Next taping is March 13th.

That Paige/Emma match from Arrival was something else. If they call up the diva's who can actually wrestle, the diva's division might be worth a damn during big shows instead of the matches being used to cool down the crowd after a really great match before hand.

I loved Regal calling the match. He really is the best color guy in ages. When Paige locked in that submission he sounded like he was digging deep into the recesses of his almanac of wrestling holds to properly name the submission. God, that hold looked painful as hell.

I think the best part of the show was probably the announce team. EVERYTHING they did was to enhance the work being done in the ring. They put over holds, moves, story, the wrestlers...My hope is that with more people watching NXT they start to wonder why Maggle, JBL, and Cardiac are still taking up space on Raw and Smackdown. 

Yea, hopefully the NXT commentary team isn't instructed to dumb down their product so they won't cause humaniods to expect more from the Big Roster's commentary team.

Watching Emma wrestle last night was kind of like the first time you ever saw Hulk Hogan wrestle in Japan and went "Wait, he can do all that stuff too? Fuck!"

Great analogy. I am sure people were thinking the same. Because alot of non-NXT dudes that have seen Emma don't understand her at all. I didn't blame them either.

So, it's a shame that NXT's booking is so much more old-school than the mainline TV shows.  Because the easiest way to improve the mainline product would be to "call up" the NXT bookers, I think.

Who books NXT?