DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014 - Spring Training!

Dolfan in NYC

There's even more than that. One of them is from the 2007 or 2003 season because that what we as Cubs fans really want, another reminder of the futility of our fandom.

If being reminded of the futility of Cubs fandom was the sort of thing that could get a Cubs fan down, you'd have far fewer Cubs fans.

I know several Cubs fans that are gonna go broke this summer buying all the jerseys.

Some are really cool. Others, not so much.

BTW, the Cubs wound up signing former local South Bend Silverhawks favorite, Emilio Bonafacio. I'm happy with that because they essentially get him for nothing.

Oh the Reds pissing away way too much money on that Homer Bailey extension is all sorts of cute.

Of all the insane things in that deal - and there are many - the $25 million mutual option has Rippa and me in stitches.

Now we are trying to figure how the Reds are going to peddle off their bad contracts on the Angels, Dodgers and Yankees in 2-3 years.

Simple, it's the Angels, Dodgers and Yankees they won't have to try very hard.

True.  But the trick is figuring out the deal to the Yankees that will piss Rippa off the most.

That's so bush league it's hard to fathom.  Pure nonsense.

Of course, the REAL nonsense in that story is that the NCAA doesn't let guys have agents.  Sure, you can be drafted, but you better go into that negotiation with nobody on your side!

From what I understand about the logic behind the rule (or lack thereof) is that "advisers" are allowed, meaning the agent talks to you and you talk to the team - but once the agent talks to the team on your behalf, you're all-in. How stupid is that?

There's lots of fallout already happening because of this. Unnamed agents are telling reporters that they'd advise their clients to not even speak to the Phillies. Someone threw out a theory that the Phillies were just so sick of players not signing (SEE: Drew, J.D.) that they finally had enough.