DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

Hey ESPN, feel free to include Wesley Morris and Melissa Locker in your cost cutting.  A thousand words on the failure of Ryan Reynolds latest movie and a Q&A with John Oates about "She's Gone"?  

And they wonder why they struggle for hits.

Wesley Morris is probably the best writer ESPN has, and a damn fine movie critic.

• Like 2

Hey ESPN, feel free to include Wesley Morris and Melissa Locker in your cost cutting.  A thousand words on the failure of Ryan Reynolds latest movie and a Q&A with John Oates about "She's Gone"?  

Wesley Morris is probably the best writer ESPN has, and a damn fine movie critic.

If Wesley Morris is considered "a damn fine movie critic" than #IDontWantToLiveInThisWorldAnymore.

God, I miss Gene Siskel.

• Like 1

Hey ESPN, feel free to include Wesley Morris and Melissa Locker in your cost cutting. A thousand words on the failure of Ryan Reynolds latest movie and a Q&A with John Oates about "She's Gone"?

If Wesley Morris is considered "a damn fine movie critic" than #IDontWantToLiveInThisWorldAnymore.

God, I miss Gene Siskel.

Can't say I'm super familiar with his work, but he won a Pulitzer so yeah, its considered good work.

All the talk was he was going to do his own podcast that wasn't just sports related.   Actually given the crap on their now, it seems like CBS Sports Radio is the place for him

But until now I think this explains my feelings IF TRUE

Is that on ESPN? I mean if the suits at The mouse said we want this interview and to get it your giving this award what exactly where the ESPN people to say?

"Fuck you, we're not doing this, and you can fire me if you don't like it." ?

But then I read the below quote and rememberd that this is ESPN, and the concept of integrity is completely lost on them.

‘It was a brilliant move because the executives at ESPN loved the idea, and immediately began making sure it got done,

Hey ESPN, feel free to include Wesley Morris and Melissa Locker in your cost cutting. A thousand words on the failure of Ryan Reynolds latest movie and a Q&A with John Oates about "She's Gone"?

God, I miss Gene Siskel.

Can't say I'm super familiar with his work, but he won a Pulitzer so yeah, its considered good work.

The Pulitzer was huge, they usually aren't given to film critics. But, in general I like Morris because he writes eloquently about film and explores film in the same way I like to think I explore film. I'm not able to express myself as well as he does, and it's a joy to read his reviews and have my mind opened up to new ideas of what was in the film. But, the idea of exploration and looking at a film from many levels is something I love; something that Morris excels at.

Is that on ESPN? I mean if the suits at The mouse said we want this interview and to get it your giving this award what exactly where the ESPN people to say?

"Sure, and as long as you're here, here's our integrity. It's not like we were using it for anything."

"Sure, and as long as you're here, here's our integrity. It's not like we were using it for anything."

To be fair, EPSN's intregity went out the window LONG before this.

I swear, ESPN has become the absolute worst kind of self-righteous corporate whore

The worse part is that it seems that Fox Sports is trying to adopt the same model to get to their level.

Fox did hire Jamie Horowitz, the man who gave us First and Pizza.

God, I miss Gene Siskel.

The Pulitzer was huge, they usually aren't given to film critics. But, in general I like Morris because he writes eloquently about film and explores film in the same way I like to think I explore film. I'm not able to express myself as well as he does, and it's a joy to read his reviews and have my mind opened up to new ideas of what was in the film. But, the idea of exploration and looking at a film from many levels is something I love; something that Morris excels at.

I think Morris is obviously intelligent and is a tremendous writer. He has a unique eye and voice and his ideas on film are clear. That said, I think the job of a critic is not to bash or put down, but to use their superior knowledge to educate the reader on why something could and should be better. By doing so, you increase the love for the medium you are critiquing. I think Morris often fails at this, and because of that his work can often seem a bit arrogant.

God, I miss Gene Siskel.

I think Morris is obviously intelligent and is a tremendous writer. He has a unique eye and voice and his ideas on film are clear. That said, I think the job of a critic is not to bash or put down, but to use their superior knowledge to educate the reader on why something could and should be better. By doing so, you increase the love for the medium you are critiquing. I think Morris often fails at this, and because of that his work can often seem a bit arrogant.

I think film criticism could, and should, be both why something should be better, as well as how it could be, and why it isn't very good. Morris finds a happy medium with me when it comes to presenting all those things.

Since Donovan McNabb got himself suspended - FOX is going to use Charles Davis as his replacement during NFL Broadcasts this Fall

So the pair is now - Thom Brennamann and Davis