DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

Just for fun, I tried on of those codes for the million dollar giveaway or what not, and it did jack shit, asking me for a deposit. FUCK THAT. Not that I have the $$$ anyway, but when you run all those commercials, I thought it would be easy to sign up. . . .

It is easy to sign up. Have to put some money in to get that free ticket though. Even just 5 bucks. The guy who won the 2 million on DK this week took the lead on Carlos Hyde's LAST run! Talk about sweating it out.

Football is just too crazy and random for me to put a bunch of money on the line, but I expect to clean up during the NBA season again.

There are a few NBA geeks around here that I think would do the same. Especially that first month after football season ends when all the football winners want to try something else.

DK & FD are basically unwinnable at this point.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-10/you-aren-t-good-enough-to-win-money-playing-daily-fantasy-football

The tl;dr is the biggest winners are people who are submitting hundreds of entries, with scripts to help them determine: Who's got the weakest entrants, who to draft, and if it's worth it to enter a particular league.  The majority of the big winners don't even know who they've drafted that night.  

While the results don't surprise me - I do agree with that running that study during the baseball season isn't truly indicative of that site.

They really need to do it now during NFL and college football games

At this point, if you're interested in playing GPP, the smart thing to is to pool your money with other like-minded people.  Enter as many contests as possible for the week, and split the winnings.  You may have a shot of hitting big cash that way.

I won $60 on a game last season and you'd think I had inherited a million bucks with all my happy crowing.

DK & FD are basically unwinnable at this point.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-10/you-aren-t-good-enough-to-win-money-playing-daily-fantasy-football

The tl;dr is the biggest winners are people who are submitting hundreds of entries, with scripts to help them determine: Who's got the weakest entrants, who to draft, and if it's worth it to enter a particular league.  The majority of the big winners don't even know who they've drafted that night.  

Yeah... baseball isn't the best indicator AND this is really only talking about the huge multi-entry guaranteed prize pool tournaments.  Winning one of those is a stroke of luck.  It's not how the every day guy wins.

I basically grinded it out in cash games during the NBA season last year at a fairly decent clip playing double ups and triple ups.  I obviously still jumped in some of those huge GPP tournaments, but there is quite a bit more to it than those types of contests.  You can't play those huge payout tournaments expecting to win a thing, but I damn sure expect to beat half the field in your average NBA 50/50. 

The trick is to play what you know you have an advantage in.  I'm staying away from football for the most part, but the NBA is my jam.  I'm a Midwestern kid who watched more than 10 Knicks games last year (LOL).

Jason Whitlock tried to take a potshot at Ta-Nehisi Coates on twitter.  Guess how that went?

V54oZjf.jpg

That's a pretty brutal own for two words and an ellipsis.

You can disagree with Coates, but I don't know how you can critcise his actual writing.  He might be the best sentence writer I've ever read.  Whitlock is a great contrarian, but he isn't in the same league as a writer as Coates.  Whitlock is a person who sees the world his way, and can't understand why anyone else sees the world differently.  It is extremely arrogant to try to tell a writer what he should and shouldn't write about, especially when that writer is clearly better than you in every way.  Whitlock has some of the worst social opinion pieces I've ever read, because they only reflect his personal outlook on the world.  Coates on the other hand tends to base his writing on cold, unfeeling facts.  If there is a criticism of Coates work it is that it is almost completely emotionless.  I heard him interviewed on a podcast and he came across as someone who doesn't have any problem separating fact and opinion.  The interviewer asked him whether or not he felt that racism was somethig that was going to get better, and his response was essentially, "I don't really know, but I hope so."  He answered it like if he was asked if he was going to make it home in time to catch the opening kickoff of a football game.  He writes these great pieces on race, but doesn't let those things affect his life to the point that he is bitter.  He realizes racism is a huge problem, but letting it actually change the way he lives his life is just too much to ask.  He isn't someone who thinks he has the answers like Whitlock, he writes mostly to frame the proper questions.  

• Like 1

And it's funny because I think you can definitely argue that TNC doesn't always thread the needle between academic and popular writing and that he could stand to have his pieces tightened up a bit.

But for it to be Jason Whitlock, one of the shittiest prose stylists, and for him to come at it that way will get him half a bar every time.

Saw someone compare this to online poker years ago, when the advertising was becoming so prevalent that it was bound to eventually be investigated. When a pair of companies in a brand new industry combine to spend $27 million in a week on advertising...yeah, eyebrows are going to be raised.

Sometimes, the differences between US and UK can be jarring.

Until recently, gambling related to major sports was a lot of wink wink stuff, like Al Michaels on MNF obliquely discussing the line or Jimmy the Greek giving scores but not mentioning the spread.

Meanwhile, a good number of EPL teams are sponsored by betting companies and one team's chairman owns one of them. And i believe many grounds have betting shops on the premesis.