DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

Bill Simmons probably will be at his best with the limited restrictions of HBO, and hopefully he gets them to execute his idea of having a Real World type show without cutting out all the sex and nudity.

If I was Simmons my first order of business would be a documentary about every single lie that Roger Goodell has told.  Simmons essentially got fired for being unable to stop calling Goodell on his blatant lies, so he might as well go for the jugular.

If I was Simmons my first order of business would be a documentary about every single lie that Roger Goodell has told.  Simmons essentially got fired for being unable to stop calling Goodell on his blatant lies, so he might as well go for the jugular.

Because Time Warner and the National Football League have no business relations at all that would provide Goodell with "muscle" to lean on HBO.  Off the top of my head Warner Home Video handles distribution for NFL Films, and of course there's the threat of a lawsuit over the unauthorized use of the Miami Dolphins logo by Ballers.

Part of me fears that this could be a Vince Russo type scenario, and when he doesn't have someone editing him or funneling him, we are going to get a bunch of half assed stuff that only he thinks is awesome.

I can see the headlines:

"The Bill Simmons Experience Cancelled After Horrific Ratings For Two Hour Karate Kid Cast Reunion"

"HBO Settles Defamation Lawsuit With Roger Goodell, Simmons Suspended Indefinitely"

"HBO Suspends Wesley Morris/Andy Greenwald After Criticizing Ava DuVernay For 'Selling Out to White Establishment' With Marvel Comics Movie Deal"

Part of me fears that this could be a Vince Russo type scenario, and when he doesn't have someone editing him or funneling him, we are going to get a bunch of half assed stuff that only he thinks is awesome.

I can see the headlines:

"The Bill Simmons Experience Cancelled After Horrific Ratings For Two Hour Karate Kid Cast Reunion"

"HBO Settles Defamation Lawsuit With Roger Goodell, Simmons Suspended Indefinitely"

"HBO Suspends Wesley Morris/Andy Greenwald After Criticizing Ava DuVernay For 'Selling Out to White Establishment' With Marvel Comics Movie Deal"

I'd be all in on the two hour Karate Kid Cast reunion.  That is probably the movie I watched the most in my life, I can't even remember a time when that movie wasn't a part of my life.

http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?686732-The-Mikes-Are-Moving-To-Manhattan

Unsubstantiated rumor, but allegedly no one bothered to ask Mike & Mike if they were willing to move to Manhattan, and when they finally did ask, both men balked at moving their kids from the Connecticut suburbs to NYC.

Um Golics kids are all in/out of college arnt they?

Correct - and that is where the rumor starts to fall apart

And falls more apart since Greenberg has hosted what ever ABC's morning show is and if I remember correctly but might not he's said he would like to do it more. Plus in this day and age having a morning job in NYC and family in Connecticut wouldn't be that hard.

He seemed to be in complete control at Grantland right up until the Goodell stuff happened.  No one was editing/funneling him as far as I could tell. Either that or whoever was on the other end of the leash had the exact same tastes as Bill.  Which is... doubtful.

Hopefully he is producing content in time for the NBA SUMMER PREVIEW!!!  The way this story was reported it seems like he could still potentially start his own website.  It would be kind of great if he was somehow able to land the big HBO deal AND steal all the good talent from Grantland.

It's not totally coincidental, but I think the Simmons/Goodell stuff has less to do with ESPN canning Simmons than most assume. I think it was just a case of ESPN not getting the return they'd like on their investment, and deciding to cut corners. The Goodell stuff made their decision easier.

It's not totally coincidental, but I think the Simmons/Goodell stuff has less to do with ESPN canning Simmons than most assume. I think it was just a case of ESPN not getting the return they'd like on their investment, and deciding to cut corners. The Goodell stuff made their decision easier.

I understand that point but it also means they werent happy with the Simmons/Goodell stuff and thats an issue.

Most of the Recent ESPN personnel Decisions seem to be money rleated more than content related: simmons, KO, Cowherd. Van Pelt and Bob Ley seems like the only "big name" people to have resigned in last 6 months or so.

Yeah, they weren't happy with the Goodell stuff, sure, but what I'm saying is that I don't think they would've kept him, regardless.

Grantland's gonna coast on goodwill and Zach Lowe (and to a lesser extent, Steven Hyden), with anyone who can go anywhere else (Wesley Morris) jumping ship and being replaced by freelancers until no one gives a shit anymore, then it'll go away. I could see Morris' spot being taken by one of those unemployed ex-AV Clubber folks from the dead film site whose name I can't recall, maybe.

Sports Deity willing, your wish will come true.

No, no.  God willing, Colin "Mr. I Have Nothing But Contempt For The People Of Middle America" Cowherd will end up reduced to doing local radio in Wichita, Kansas or Toledo, Ohio, doomed to spend the rest of his career talking Cleveland Browns football or Kansas City Royals baseball.