DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

I would guess he follows the Dan Patrick model and does his own thing while partnering with a number of partners, maybe NBA TV.

If i were some of the grantland guys, id stay at the four letter. Keri is part of Baseball Tonight rotarion, for example.

It's been confirmed that Grantland will continue to exist, just seperately from ESPN. 30 for 30 is a bigger concern, I think.

So he is basically going to be doing everything he is doing now, just without ESPN backing?  This actually seems like really good news.  Grantland's content will probably be better without ESPN.  They were kind of in a position where they had to be the talented but snarky kids who would normally be the kinds of people who call people on their bullshit, except ESPN seems to have a policy where they can't call people out on their bullshit.  Hopefully they have more freedom to cover and critique sports and culture in a way that ESPN would not allow.  They should be able to criticize how sports is covered, and name the people they are talking about.  Sports coverage has been outdated and laughable for probably 20 years.  Everyone essentially yells the same things at each other and pretend their making a point.  Grantland has a staff that is talented enough to not only change the way sports is covered, but do it in a way that makes other sports coverage seem as outdated as it is.  Zach Lowe and Kirk Goldsberry's coverage of the NBA makes most of the media's coverage seem like it's being argued by kindergarteners. I honestly think this is a pretty big deal, and good for us as sports fans.

From what I understand, Grantland is staying under the ESPN banner, but with a new Chief Editor (not Bill Simmons). We don't know the contract information for many of the major Grantland contributors like Lowe, Barnwell and Keri, so we don't know if their contracts are up at the same time as Simmons, and so we don't know if they will be staying on at ESPN/Grantland, following Simmons to parts unknown, or just going somewhere else entirely. I think the most likely scenario is Grantland and The Undefeated (the yet to be truly revealed "Black Grantland" headed up by Jason Whitlock) will be united under one banner and rebranded as something else. Maybe including the five thirty eight as well.  

I personally hope that Simmons is replaced at Grantland by Skip Bayless. 

OK, so go ahead and just read everything I said and understand it as the exact opposite.  If Deadspins Whitlock article are even remotely true, which I'd wager is more true than untrue, I don't think The Undefeated will be successful.  He seems to only be interested in people who share his thought process and opinions, which is the absolute worst thing you should do with that type of website.  People already assume that black people are a monolith, and he wants to create a website centered around black culture that is monolithic in its opinions.  He is a talented writer, who is actually a really good columnist, but Jason Whitlock is a horrific choice to run that type of website.

The deadspin stuff today on Simmons' firing is really interesting. By doing this now and not when his contract actually runs out, ESPN has purposefully taken away a major salary bargaining chip from Simmons as he tries to go elsewhere. I mean, I'm sure there will still be a bidding war for him, but without ESPN giving him a raise on his $3.4m annual, he may end up taking quite a hit.

Most are reporting that Simmons' unapproved appearance on the Dan Patrick show yesterday was the final straw for Skipper. I guess it's noteworthy that Olbermann got fired in 97 for an unapproved appearance on Craig Kilborn's show. Kind of a funny coincidence.  

I have a feeling that the longer this drags on, the more parallels we will find between CM Punk and Bill Simmons. They both strike me as people that find ways to be unhappy with their success and frame themselves as innocents. Shit, Simmons may use Punk quotes as metaphors for his various disagreements with ESPN.

• Like 1

I know that it would take a while before he made the kind of money he does now, but why wouldn't he start his own site, instead of signing with some other company?  Like it or not, he is the most famous sportswriter in the country, and he'll retain his readership no matter what he does.  If I'm him I'd never work for anyone ever again.

I know that it would take a while before he made the kind of money he does now, but why wouldn't he start his own site, instead of signing with some other company?  Like it or not, he is the most famous sportswriter in the country, and he'll retain his readership no matter what he does.  If I'm him I'd never work for anyone ever again.

There's no way Simmons has the available cash on hand to bankroll that himself.  Which means bringing in investors, so now has bosses to answer to.  And then they would have to build a CMS, hire technical, marketing, and editorial staff, people to manage all of that staff, develop relationships with sponsors, and all the other shit that comes with starting a new company.  Whereas if he partners with an existing company most of that infrastructure already exists and he can just plug into it.

I'm amused at the thought of there being a "Black Grantland".

I think the idea of a black-focused culture/sports site makes tons of sense.  Hiring Whitlock to run it, and giving him the amount of leeway they have, is such a self-evidently terrible idea.

I'm amused at the thought of there being a "Black Grantland".

I think the idea of a black-focused culture/sports site makes tons of sense.  Hiring Whitlock to run it, and giving him the amount of leeway they have, is such a self-evidently terrible idea.

The fact that Jason Whitlock may be the most hated sportswriter amongst the black community makes it an even worse idea.  I don't know how many people understand how much a large portion of black people hate him. 

Simmons replaced by Rick Reilly would be number one and the best.

That would be awful.  Grantland wouldn't make it through the year.

I can't think of anyone ESPN has under contract that I'd want in that position.  The ability to not only recognize talent, but to let that talent potentially outshine you is going to be hard to replace amongst the egomaniacs that tend to work in the sports media.  There just plain aren't that many people who feel comfortable around people who may be more talented then them. 

• Like 1

The issue with black grantland is unfortunately one that they can't control: people are racist and view black culture as a laughable series of stereotypes. Like, on grantland, Katie Baker gets two articles a week writing about the fucking whitest shit ever. Seriously, she has ongoing articles about the NYT wedding sections and yachting and shit. This somehow goes unnoticed, or at least uncommented on. I fear that if you hired an intelligent young black person to write a similarly unironic look at various aspects of predominantly black slices of life, the vast majority of readers would be turned off or respond with the worst vitriol ever. 

The reason why I want Rick Reilly is because he and Simmons hate each others guts.

Katie Baker is a trust-fund, prep-school brat. She was a Goldman Sachs VP before she took the "brave" step of becoming a sportswriter. It's a hard life she's led.

• Like 1

Reilly, Bayless and Cowherd deserve to all be on the same show hosted by Stephen A and only allowed to talk about college la crosse.

• Like 1

I usually appreciate "bite the hand that feed me" types. But I lose empathy when that hand feeds you steak and lobster dinner every night, and all the ice cream you could ever want.

That and still write as if you eat ramen every night. I dont hate simmons writing, but he was so much better as a sportswriter before he got power. Grantland is filled with his inane bullshit, like "who won the scene?" and oral history's for the most obscure stuff.  Its not just that he's starfucker, but that he was never a common man to begin with, being a prep school and private college brat. Not that that's a crime, but as you get older you lose touch with your alleged "roots". I think this kick in the balls is the humbler that will make or break him. He ought to beg the Celtics for a job, or failing that try for NBA.com. Or turner. IF he's lucky, the 4 letter will let him crawl back on his knees in a year or two. And, I generally like his columns. . . . .

I usually appreciate "bite the hand that feed me" types. But I lose empathy when that hand feeds you steak and lobster dinner every night, and all the ice cream you could ever want.

Bullshit.  Simmons brought Grantland and 30/30.  That is 100% of the enjoyable content that ESPN has. Nothing else is worth watching or reading or listening to. 

Bullshit.  Simmons brought Grantland and 30/30.  That is 100% of the enjoyable content that ESPN has. Nothing else is worth watching or reading or listening to. 

yeah if Grandland dies or loses the quality about 90% of my podcasts just dropped off

I get why people loathe or just don't like Simmons.  There's only so much Boston homerism I can take personally, and I agree with some of the other criticisms on him.  For me, a basketball fan, I could never get on the hate train for him because he pushed basketball coverage on ESPN(it's not great but it was worse before) and he had entertaining podcasts.  More importantly, he was behind 30 for 30; probably his best contribution.  Even the people who don't like him can appreciate the 30 for 30 series

Grantland was already technically seperate from ESPN so the real news is that ESPN is going continue on with it without Simmons and put another person(s?) in charge.  It'll be interested to see who takes over and which writers/editors/producers leave.  Grantland is a site which loves gossip in sports and Hollywood even if it isn't true, so it's going to be humorous to watch their employees avoid this subject for the next couple of days.  I wonder if things will get ugly.  There's a chance.

I remember reading that Grantland doesn't actually have a high visit/hit rate and ESPN's backing allowed it to do what it wanted to do (long articles, pop culture/entertainment opinions, etc.).

Edited by _MJ_