DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

Pizzolato's fall from grace is going to be glorious to watch. He was fucking insufferable when everyone was kissing his ass 24/7 (except for women and women sympathizers, natch, but fuck them).

CIEmjeaUEAAMAqh.jpg

Vanity Fair, everyone. Vanity Fair.

Seriously: this would be a cringe-worthy way to talk about the actual best writers ever, like Hemingway or Fitzgerald.

Never mind the inconsistent writer of a decent but sometimes patchy detective show 

I actually felt embarrassed for Pizzolato regarding the Ani character.

She was quite obviously created as a Tough Woman archetype to quell the criticism from last season...except apparently it never occurred to him that he had written his main female as a spiteful character who has an antagonistic relationship with *literally* every man she shares the screen with.

Or maybe that was exactly his intention. Considering early reviews noted how a later episode takes not-at-all-veiled shots at season 1 director Cary Fukunaga, it could very well be that he's just that petty.

I'm digging it.  The acting will carry this show like it always has, but I'm not worried about Pizzolato.  At this point his particular brand of crazy is well established and you're either on board or not.  More worried about the directing change than anything else, but I enjoyed the premiere.

I do feel like he expected a little more attention out of the audience this time around. It felt a little info dump/clunky at times, but I am interested in all 4 major characters.

HOW DID NONE OF YOU RECOGNIZE THAT THE ENTIRE SEMYON PLOT IN THIS EPISODE IS STOLEN FROM THE LAST GOOD FRIDAY. Jeez, guys. 

Otherwise, I don't really have any complaints, I'm willing to work with it, let it develop to whatever crass or pretentious or maybe actually good result(s) that occur. And working all these disparate characters (which really did feel like a mouthful) into an ensemble cast that interacts was cool.

Quick thoughts about the show...

• Man...the theme song is so fucking terrible.
  • Uh, were Rachel McAdams and her dude talking about what I think they were talking about because that may be the first time I've seen that discussed on a tv show and it was so poorly handled, like you would think a tentacle came out of her vagina. Exactly what I would expect from Pizzolato. Just, ugh, the most Vince Russo of things to talk about.
  • Vince Vaughn is good.
  • People expecting something more out of Taylor Kitsch never saw FNL. As far as I can tell, at some point after the FNL finale, and returning from Mars, Tim Riggins became a CA Highway Patrol Officer.
  • This was like watching the first episode of a TV show that saw what True Detective did and it's trying to do that same thing...Except this is season 2 and there's no excuse for bullshit like that.

I actually felt embarrassed for Pizzolato regarding the Ani character.

She was quite obviously created as a Tough Woman archetype to quell the criticism from last season...except apparently it never occurred to him that he had written his main female as a spiteful character who has an antagonistic relationship with *literally* every man she shares the screen with.

Come on man.  I know you have this hate-boner thing going on with Pizzolato, but it's too early in the story to judge the writing of her character.

Could it be sloppy?  I guess, but it's not there yet.  That she was so confrontational with the men in her life BEFORE meeting crazy Colin Farrell is actually quite interesting.  It sets up a dynamic between the two without a single shared scene.

Farrell really was sort of epic.  I'm more interested in him bouncing off the rest of the cast than in any other aspect of the story right now.  

His character plows right through the damaged cop cliches to something more..... It felt more like a guy at the end of the line.

• Like 2

"Never do anything out of hunger. Not even eating."

Cracked up at that one.  Same way I cracked up during some of Rust's bullshit in S1E1.  There is something kind of charming about the single writer approach where you can get away with lines like that.  No way that makes air under normal circumstances. 

I normally find Chris Ryan pretty obnoxious, but I guess he's doing the recaps for Grantland since Andy Greenwald doesn't like the show, and he made a great point about how self-aware the premiere seemed, especially the actors. I feel like at least some of these cringeworthy lines could've been saved if everyone wasn't reading them with the same stone-faced, dead-eyed seriousness that McConaughey played Rust with.

Vaughn in particular was trying way too hard to play against type, to the point that he was just a big slab of mahogany on screen.

It probably also hurts that, at least through the first episode, there's no clear Marty character who can stand off to the side incredulously and offer comment on the ridiculous words coming out of these people's mouths. Marty went a long way toward making Rust tolerable. Right now, we're just stuck with a bunch of Rusts, and that's nobody's idea of a good time.

I feel like this should have just been about Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn. The scenes with Farrell and his kid, calling him a fat pussy, along with telling the bully that he would come back to buttfuck his dad with his mom's headless corpse, were so unsettling. I would much rather watch Farrell's downward spiral with Vaughn kind of facilitating it, and someone who is more self-aware, like the Marty type you mentioned EVA, trying to take both down, than watch all of these characters playing the same note, being all edgy and shit, talking about edgy shit like killing someone's dad or freaking out because someone squirted.

Oh...and this was an actual fucking line in the show:

"Never do anything out of hunger. Not even eating."

"I used to want to be an astronaut. Until I realized astronauts don't even go to the moon anymore."

• Like 1

It is a bit surprising how many people online are shitting on it.

I kinda liked it and it was a little better than I thought it would be. Then again, I've always liked that LA neo-noir stuff.

Also: Colin Farrell terrorizing little children is surprisingly watchable. 

• Like 2

It is a bit surprising how many people online are shitting on it.

I kinda liked it and it was a little better than I thought it would be. Then again, I've always liked that LA neo-noir stuff.

Also: Colin Farrell terrorizing little children is surprisingly watchable. 

It's got big shoes to fill but at the very least (based on last night) it looks like it's going to be a solid TV show.

I did like Kitch's constipated-in-a-wind-tunnel EMOTING facial expressions on the motorbike near the end.

I also have a complete and utter total thing for Kelly Reilly. So there's that...

It was...ok, I didn't love it, I didn't hate it, I'll keep watching it. Is Fargo back soon?