DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

Farrell's been kicking ass for years

-Seven Psychopaths (He's the straight man core for an assortment of wacky characters)

-Horrible Bosses (He was the BEST part.  Aniston's role was all shock value but is pretty dull on repeat viewings.  Farrell's demented coke-head gets better and better)

-Crazy Heart (How does a guy from Scotland, sing Country tunes so well?!)

-In Bruges (Farrell is devastating in this, alternately funny and offensive then sad and suicidal)

-Pride and Glory

-The New World

-Cassandra's Dream

I actually like Taylor Kitsch, even though he seems to have a knack for killing big budget movies (Battleship, John Carter, etc.) he has a bizarre uncharismatic charisma.

I'm also pretty stoked that they're sticking with whatever the plans are and not making the characters female for the sake of placating the "It's sexist!" crowd.

-Crazy Heart (How does a guy from Scotland, sing Country tunes so well?!)

khphotos044268-farrell_colin_31.jpg

:lol: 

Dunno how I typed Scotland...I mean there's even this exchange with Rockwell and Farrell in 'Seven Psychopaths'

Billy: You're fucked from birth. The Spanish got bullfighting. The French got cheese. And the Irish have alcoholism.

Marty: And what do the Americans have?

Billy: Tolerance.

I actually like Taylor Kitsch, even though he seems to have a knack for killing big budget movies (Battleship, John Carter, etc.) he has a bizarre uncharismatic charisma.

Is that like Channing Tatum where they guy doesn't have any noticable charisma but if you watch him long enough it starts to see like he does a bit?

Is that like Channing Tatum where they guy doesn't have any noticable charisma but if you watch him long enough it starts to see like he does a bit?

I like Channing Tatum a lot now (Despite at one point referring to him as the "Worst working actor on the planet", an honor I now bestow upon Drew Barrymore).  He does a genuinely solid job as likable dude you want to hang out with.  He really holds his own in 'Magic Mike', and I thought he was the funniest actor in 'Magic Mike' (Yes, much funnier than Jonah Hill).

Kitch is hard to describe.  He went to my high school (I didn't know him), so maybe I'm giving him a break based on hometown pride (Though it didn't work for Evangeline Lilly).  But his performances in 'John Carter' and 'Savages' were interesting in that he didn't really display a lot of overt charisma (No stirring speeches, no real moments of bad-assedness, no good one-liners, no real displays of visible emotion) but there was something strangely compelling about his character.

I think the success of guys like Tatum and Kitsch might be diminishing expectations. Look who they had in the '70s and '80 as leading men: Hoffman, Pacino, De Niro...and now we've got these two OKish actors who look good on camera and have some personality, but not a lot, but they're hailed as stars.

But neither are as bad as Chris Pine, so I guess there's that.

I think the success of guys like Tatum and Kitsch might be diminishing expectations. Look who they had in the '70s and '80 as leading men: Hoffman, Pacino, De Niro...and now we've got these two OKish actors who look good on camera and have some personality, but not a lot, but they're hailed as stars.

But neither are as bad as Chris Pine, so I guess there's that.

Eh, that's looking at the 70s with a little rose-coloured glasses.

If you look at the top 19 box office movies of the 1970s, Hoffman/Pacino/De Niro starrred in just 2 of them (Hoffman was in 'Kramer vs Kramer', Pacino in 'Godfather'), you also had a lot of guys who looked good and had some personality (John Travolta in Grease/Saturday Night Fever, Christopher Reeve in Superman, Burt Reynolds in 'Smokey and the Bandit').

If you look at the top 19 box office movies of the 1970s...

Just curious, why did you choose the top 19? What's #20?

Dunno, that was the site I was on provided.  I think they were doing the Top 15 but had some ties.

Vince Vaughn might be interesting. My dissatisfaction with him stems from his using that same stock persona he's perfected in every damn movie he's made for going on a decade now. Early on, he actually tried to be an actor (Psycho, The Cell, Domestic Disturbance) and I think he could surprise a lot of people given the right material.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Vince Vaughn has been confirmed to star in season 2.

HBO at long last has confirmed the first specifics about season two of drama series “True Detective,” including the casting of Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn in lead roles.

Story will revolve around three cops and career criminal who navigate a web of conspiracy after a murder.

Farrell plays Ray Velcoro, a compromised detective whose allegiances are torn between his masters in a corrupt police department and the mobster who owns him. Vaughn plays Frank Semyon, a man in danger of losing his criminal empire when his move into legitimate enterprise is upended by the murder of a business partner.

Justin Lin is on board to direct the first two episodes of the eight-episode season. Lensing is set to begin later this fall in California for a January premiere.

There’s still no word about additional cast members, which are expected to include a femme in the role of a police officer. »

• Like 1