DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

I will agree on the daughter. I was convinced she had some part to play in the main story.

Still, I think Maggie was more fleshed out than people are giving credit for. Sure, it's not her story they were telling, but I felt that by the end I knew her as more than Marty's fuck up.

It could just be that I loved her final scene. Marty breaks down and she is so cold in that moment.

See that is one of the parts that bothered me, do we know if she was cold or if she was regretful for leaving him?  If she was cold and uncaring I would fully understand, but if she didn't care why did she show up at the bar?  I watched it and thought that part of her still loved him, but he's hurt her too much to stay with him.  My point is that we don't know what she was thinking, because we don't know enough about her to understand what she thought in that moment.  Was she a woman who loved a man and all his faults, until one day she woke up and realized that she couldn't take it any more.  Was she a woman who thought that she could change her husband, and fix his problems, and somehow thinks it is her fault that he is the way he is.  Was she someone who just wasn't going to be treated like an afterthought in her husband's life?  Her reaction to him cheating on her that last time could have been interpreted as a woman who is out for revenge, or a woman burning a bridge that so she couldn't go back.  We don't know, because they didn't let us know anything about her other than she was married to an asshole.

It's implied that the daughter was abused and my guess is by her grandfather. He fit the profile of the rich white guys who are involved in this Satanic cult. I'm pretty sure she had a drawing on her wall that looked a lot like the group's symbol and if you look at the naked drawings.. one of the guys has a mask that is eerily similar to a mask we see on the snuff film in I believe episode 6 or 7. Either she was abused or she saw something. She might have been drugged too and the memories are vague. This show was a lot like Breaking Bad where there are clues and little Easter eggs all over the place but unfortunately you can only do so much with 8 hours.

I think the situation with the daughter is more a "draw your own conclusions" deal.

I don't personally think she was abused; she was just a bit of a weird kid, likely due to her dad ignoring her and her sister being the clear favorite. I think if she had been abused, we would have gotten more hints about it than we did and it would have been followed up on. And what about the other sister? Wouldn't she have seen stuff/been abused too? But she was pretty normal and not at all screwed up.

But, yeah, I can see the arguement for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So reading the article I assume it's going to be set in the Bay Area, since L.A. already got ruled out and there's nothing but farmland in between Los Angeles and San Francisco. And Pizzolatto had previously stated season 2 will be about the United States transportation system.

• 1 month later...

Farrell has probably more apparent potential than McConaughey did when he was cast. He's not without his turkeys, but he's very capable of turning it on when he needs to. I'm prepared to give him a chance.