DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

I watched Twitch  on Saturday night to see probably my favorite luchador of all time  lose his mask.  Dr. Wagner Jr.  is definitely a charismatic tour de force from his mannerisms to his gravelly "Bien, Bien , Bien!!"

I t was rough seeing Ultimo Guerrero lose his mask.  This was even worse.   Hopefully he went out on his own terms.

• Like 1

I was reading up on the Pierroth/La Parka apuestas match in 1998... supposedly Pierroth got $50,000 to drop the mask (an absolutely inhuman amount of money back then), plus some of the undercard wrestlers were running around town making side-bets and cut both guys in, which was another $15,000 for each of them. Gambling on wrestling matches? Is nothing sacred? 

The first MPW (SoCal) show wa supposed to have Psicosis in a main event 4 man tournament. I always remember that he blew it off because he'd gotten his payoff for losing his hair. =D

1. How the hell did Wagner NOT lose his mask in a bloody apuestas in Tijuana to Park? 

2. It's a shame the ref didn't rear back and kick her right in the temple to break up the armbar...

EDIT: That's not meant to be misogynistic. Rosemary should actually have the opportunity to do that instead

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

1. How the hell did Wagner NOT lose his mask in a bloody apuestas in Tijuana to Park? 

2. It's a shame the ref didn't rear back and kick her right in the temple to break up the armbar...

EDIT: That's not meant to be misogynistic. Rosemary should actually have the opportunity to do that instead

The edit never crossed my mind with you, @Curt McGirt

Rosemary update:

GFW:

It was an honor for GFW to be invited to participate in TripleMania XXV, held this past weekend in Mexico City. The AAA talent that we have worked with have been consummate professionals and the company organized and delivered an extraordinary event, in which both DJZ and Andrew Everett had spectacular showings following their recent surgeries. While the incident with Sexy Star marred an outstanding show, AAA executives have confirmed to us that appropriate measures are being taken in respect of this incident.  Both AAA and Sexy Star have apologized to Rosemary. 

Make 'em say MELLLLLLLTZ:

According to a source with knowledge of all the numbers of the show, Wagner received 4.5 million pesos for agreeing to lose his mask, which is $255,443.79 U.S., considered a fortune in Mexico and by far the largest payoff in the history of Lucha Libre.

Psycho Clown, on the other hand, earned $4,541.22, and notably, had agreed to a figure of 500,000 pesos ($28,382.64) if they wanted him to drop his mask. Because they could have gotten a clean finish for less money, some insiders have second-guessed the decision, particularly with the crowd so pro-Wagner the night of the show. But the feeling is Psycho is the company’s hottest singles star and losing the mask at this stage of his career would hurt him, because there isn’t a lot of value to an unmasked wrestler with the name Psycho Clown. Wagner is at the end of his career, and AAA got an incredible amount of publicity, because of the legend of the Wagner name, far more than if Psycho would have lost.

That meant the main eventers got 41.6 percent of the gate, which is an usually higher figure, although it’s really Wagner who got the payoff that inflates that percentage.

Yeah, no value in an unmasked guy named Psycho Clown, who was one of TEN clown gimmicks on Triplemania - this could have been an opportunity to just switch to a Brazo gimmick or something.

No, Dorian doesn't count.  It was:

Mini Psycho Clown

The three original Payaso lumberjacks

Murder Clown

Monster Clown

Dave the Clown

Marty the Moth the new clown

Pagano

Psycho Clown

This is why they get the reputation of A BUNCH OF FUCKING CLOWNS on our podcast

Only three of these were guest stars.

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Wagner received 4.5 million pesos for agreeing to lose his mask, which is $255,443.79 U.S., considered a fortune in Mexico and by far the largest payoff in the history of Lucha Libre

f1b73d76872a7267f691738c6621c7d9--gilda-

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

That section mentions that payoff is (doing math quickly in my head) nearly 4x Wagner wanted for the Park mask match and 8x times offered for an Atlantis match a decade ago. Wagner waited and waited and waited and it totally paid off. 

OTOH, Psycho main eventing the biggest show of the year in AAA and getting not even $5000 kind of tells you where lucha libre is at in the bigger scale. 

Dave Meltzer's Thursday update:

Sexy Star was on the reality show Bailadmios, a dancing show she was on but eliminated from and did anything but apologize. She said, translated into English by Fightful.com:

"These past days have been very difficult for me. On Saturday, I had a championship match and it was rough. I think everything just got out of hand. I don't know. It's a situation that right now, I'm still a bit confused about. I want to remain silent for the time being and when the time comes, I will touch upon this topic. Men and women want to end me, retire me from the sport. I'm here like I said from the beginning and I won't stop representing all the women that have been mistreated and abused physically and psychologically. I have to be stronger. At one time, I went through depression and I managed to get out of that predicament and I will get out of this one as well. I was doing what I felt needed to be done, what people deserve, and that is to fight tooth and nail to the end. That's what happened and I made her surrender. It seems that (Rosemary) is injured. I just don't know. That's the only thing I can say."

Credit: f4wonline.com

As pointed out on Twitter - it has gotten to the point that an actual punishment for Sexy Star would be her making her drop a title in the ring

(Three times and counting now)

So I watched the AAA on Univision episode yesterday and it was just a show that seemed to be hyping the Psycho/Wagner match and Lucha in general with a lot of talking head segments and no matches.

Tonight episode does have the following from Triplemania 21: El Mesias/Blue Demon (there was a sweet tope), Texano Jr/Heavy Metal (meh), Perro Aguayo Jr./Cibernético hair vs. hair( bloody!).

10 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Perro Aguayo Jr./Cibernético hair vs. hair( bloody!).

Yeah, this was what I saw. It was just such a bummer to see one dead guy talking about another dead guy and then Cibernetico and a bunch of table crap. The double stomp through the balsa wood table/plank/whatever was pretty cool though. I wonder how and why AAA always has these giant things in these matches

GOOD LORD did both guys tap a vein though. Perro looked like someone filled up a Super Soaker with blood and went at him.

guessing the next couple nights will have

Wednesday: TripleMania 2014 - Faby/Taya (broken nose match), Psycho/Texano, Perro/Myzteziz/Cibernetico/Wagner
Thursday: TripleMania 2015 - Demon/Parka vs Electro, Patron/Cage, Mysterio/Myzteziz
Friday: TripleMania 2016 - Texano/Wagner/Cage + Psycho/Pagano

Sunday: ladder match + Wagner/Psycho