DVDVR Message Board

WWE Classics On Demand Thread

Phantom Lord

Piper came off like a fucking lunatic. Even by Piper standards. Piper gave kids chocolate bricks and shit for Halloween but what Heenan was saying was too much. The more I see if babyface Piper the more I hate it and think it's awful.

I got a huge laugh at Heenan saying the mall Santa was just a guy fresh from detox.

The Piper who gave kids chocolate bricks and shit for Halloween was the Piper pre-meeting the ghosts of Christmas past. Once he had that encounter, he wasn't going to treat the childrens like that no more.

• Like 2

I'm really bummed about losing Classics.  The WWE Network is looking to be a little pricier and I'd honestly just rather have a cable subscription then having to plug a damn laptop into the TV every time I want to watch old 'rasslin from my recliner.  (I know there are other options, but none of them are currently available to me). 

But yeah, the selection this month is fantastic.  The Rumble selection is great.  Ended up staying awake much later than anticipated last night.

• Like 1

I'm really bummed about losing Classics.  The WWE Network is looking to be a little pricier and I'd honestly just rather have a cable subscription then having to plug a damn laptop into the TV every time I want to watch old 'rasslin from my recliner.  (I know there are other options, but none of them are currently available to me). 

But yeah, the selection this month is fantastic.  The Rumble selection is great.  Ended up staying awake much later than anticipated last night.

I agree completely. My Internet connection is not the best or the fastest, there's no way I subscribe online. I'm hoping for a cable network.

Oh, and Meltzer says Chris Benoit footage will be allowed on the network. But with a disclaimer. I wonder what the disclaimer will say? "the wwe does not endorse killing your family". 

I would hope the WWE network would be a streaming channel you could get on your ROKU or PS3 or XBOX or what-have-you like you can the NFL, NBA, or NHL networks.  They would be absolutely stupid not to do that.

I kinda wish Classics on their last month had just said "fuck it" and put all the SNME music back in.  There's only a few thousand of us left.  It's not like we'd rat it out to the members of Animotion.   It is pretty awesome to watch old Saturday NIght's Main Events in broadcast quality and not the shitty 3rd gen VHS versions I've had for a decade.  Kinda odd they so rarely put these episodes up.

• Like 1

Dave said on WOR that he couldn't see why they would put Benoit stuff on the Network when they already take him out of Classics on Demand. While I wouldn't mind it if his matches are on the network since they've been on some DVDs, I can see them keeping a child murderer off the thing for at least the first couple of years.

I noticed when watching the "RAW 20" DVD set, that they dubbed out "Rollin'" for Undertaker, but they didn't replace it with "You're Gonna Pay" or similar theme.  Is this a new thing or common thing now on the old shows?

What a great way to wrap up Classics. I'm watching the '92 Royal Rumble again eventhough I have it on the Ultimate Ric Flair Collection set. Everything about the '92 Rumble holds up well w/ Gorilla Monsoon & Bobby Heenan being the icing on the cake. I'll get to the other Rumble matches available later since I'm snowed in today and don't remember them that well outside of 92 & 94.

• 2 weeks later...

They have up Clash of the Champions VI. I am very upset with who ever edited this video because they cut out a fun little Dick Murdoch/Ace Orton match and the Varsity Club/Road Warriors where Teddy Long does the fast count to cost LOD the tag titles.

I have the original broadcast (well from JYD/Butch Reed's match) on a tape somewhere. I watched it so much when I was a kid that I still remember some of the commercials that were run during it. The one thing I love about this show is Michael Hayes snarky commentary. I guess he was part of Hiro Matsuda's faction at the time because he called him boss at least once. How the heck did Hiro Matsuda in 1989 end up with a Paul Jones esq army?

Hayes was great though. He had some great one liners that made me realize the WWE desperately needs a sleazy asshole heel like him.

"Hey girls, just to let you know my plane lands in Orlando at 1:00 tomorrow morning"

And one of my favorite lines that was cut out because of them dubbing new entrance music over The First Family's intro, Jim Ross calls Missy Hyatt the first lady and Hayes in disgust says "she ain't no lady". It still cracks me up after all these years.

The 2/2/98 Raw is probably the worst Raw I've ever seen in regards to wrestling. However, I find myself really enjoying that NWA angle with Cornette, JJ, Windham, and the RNRs. It's such an out of place and nice change of pace from the Attitude Era.

A final Heenanism as Classics comes to a close:

Rick Rude wrestled a jobber at an Alabama TV taping, but decided after the match that the girls in Alabama were too ugly to kiss so he refused to give a Rude Awakening.  They go back to the studio:

Gorilla (to Heenan):  I thought maybe you and Rude were going to kiss each other, since there was no one suitable.

Heenan:  Well, I'll tell you one thing, Rude's mustache was a lot smaller than most of the girls' in Alabama.

Gorilla starts laughing.

Heenan:  There wasn't a pretty girl in that entire state.  Those southern girls...did you know that...the granny from the Beverly Hillbillies?  She was only 28.

Davey O'Hannon vs. Angelo Gomez on the 1/80 MSG show.  Halfway through the match Vince McMahon suddenly proclaims:  "this match is really boring."  I love old school Vince.

how does Vince's commentary rank for things whose stock has moved due to all the footage seen on Classics/24/7? i've heard a variety of praise for his commentary pre-Expansion and praise for his solo commentary and I'm just curious if that commentary has been a huge relevation or something we kinda knew pre-24/7

Old school Vince just didn't have a filter.  80%-90% of the time he would just call the match and it was nothing special, but once in a while he would drop a line that would just blow you away in its brutal honesty.  To this day, one of the greatest Vince lines was on some random Coliseum tape and he was doing play-by-play on an early 80s battle royal and some jobber was pulling some really weak punches and Vince exclaimed "Wow, he's throwing those punches like a girl."

He was good, but sometimes he was awesome.  Especially knowing the Vince of now would never let the Vince of old get away with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that the Network is here, what does this crowd think about it? 

As someone who had Classics, I really like the selection and some of the depth, but I'm not nearly as blown away as I'd be if I hadn't had a subscription to Classics for so many years.  Other than '00s stuff that I'm mostly meh about, there's not much here that wasn't on Classics at one point or other. 

But having everything at once is an obvious improvement, and I'm sure more Territory stuff will get on there eventually. 

• Like 1

VQ is at least as good as it was on CoD and instead of recording everything to a disc, I can just record to about the same quality in a video file and there's way more content available. Plus, there are no bugs on anything unless it had one before, and things are in HD. The network, WHEN IT WORKS PROPERLY, is a huge upgrade overall to CoD.