DVDVR Message Board

WWE Classics On Demand Thread

Phantom Lord

Just finished the 4/26/99 Raw and things are starting to get a little wacky. Saw a vignette for MEAT. Nicole Bass wanting to smash out Val Venis. Undertaker calling Vince McMahon while holding Stephanie McMahon hostage.

The last part did get me thinking... hindsight being 20/20, but I think that rather than have Vince be the higher power (which Undertaker had only briefly mentioned and no extra thought was devoted to it), they should have used this angle to either keep Vince babyface (or as much of a babyface as he could be) or just allow the character to end. I think that the couple of months where the focus was on Vince v. Undertaker and not Vince v. Austin showed that the company would have been fine without the Mr. McMahon character. Him being the highest power really was just the dumbest thing and made months of television just feel pointless. I'm not sure who the higher power should have been, but they might have been better off with Undertaker just wanting to be WWF Champion and not answering to anyone.

They did a cool thing at the end of the episode where they showed an extra few minutes of what happened after Raw went off the air and it's just a fairly typical Austin beer bath but it was awesome to see considering it really wasn't ever seen before except for the 15,000+ that were in the arena that night. I hope they do more of that type of stuff.

Just finished the 4/26/99 Raw and things are starting to get a little wacky. Saw a vignette for MEAT. Nicole Bass wanting to smash out Val Venis. Undertaker calling Vince McMahon while holding Stephanie McMahon hostage.

The last part did get me thinking... hindsight being 20/20, but I think that rather than have Vince be the higher power (which Undertaker had only briefly mentioned and no extra thought was devoted to it), they should have used this angle to either keep Vince babyface (or as much of a babyface as he could be) or just allow the character to end. I think that the couple of months where the focus was on Vince v. Undertaker and not Vince v. Austin showed that the company would have been fine without the Mr. McMahon character. Him being the highest power really was just the dumbest thing and made months of television just feel pointless. I'm not sure who the higher power should have been, but they might have been better off with Undertaker just wanting to be WWF Champion and not answering to anyone.

They did a cool thing at the end of the episode where they showed an extra few minutes of what happened after Raw went off the air and it's just a fairly typical Austin beer bath but it was awesome to see considering it really wasn't ever seen before except for the 15,000+ that were in the arena that night. I hope they do more of that type of stuff.

I remember hearing rumors that it was could have been any number of guys Jake Roberts (to play off his previous relationship with Taker but considering Jake's state back then, wasn't feasible), Shane Douglas (I believe his contract was up at the time), Raven (I think his contract was up or nearing completion then too but can't remember for sure) to Foley turning heel and being the higher power.

I've heard about Jake and Raven, never Douglas or Foley turning heel. The thing is though, I feel like Jake would have been a letdown and no one would have bought any of the aforementioned guys being someone Undertaker viewed as a higher power. Vince was probably the only person with the cache to be the ultimate mastermind and if that was the end game, that's fine, but there was no need to swerve people for months just because they could.

I've heard about Jake and Raven, never Douglas or Foley turning heel. The thing is though, I feel like Jake would have been a letdown and no one would have bought any of the aforementioned guys being someone Undertaker viewed as a higher power. Vince was probably the only person with the cache to be the ultimate mastermind and if that was the end game, that's fine, but there was no need to swerve people for months just because they could.

Those were the most normal predictions.  Back on RSPW, there were stories that Pillman or Owen faked their deaths and would be brought back to the public as the HP.

General CoD question...have they shown much from WCW 1999-and-up?  I ask because I wonder how they would handle unmasked Rey. 

Watching the MSG show from '91, was that the only time IRS wore tights instead of pants? It looks quite weird. Like the legs were brown pinstripes and the trunks were black.

Not to mention the philosophical confusion of using suspenders with tights.

I remember this!  Wasn't it more like leotards, kind of like the brief moment when the Killer Bees wore black stockings under their tights?

Those were the most normal predictions.  Back on RSPW, there were stories that Pillman or Owen faked their deaths and would be brought back to the public as the HP.

General CoD question...have they shown much from WCW 1999-and-up?  I ask because I wonder how they would handle unmasked Rey. 

Faking death? Wow.

They don't show a ton of post-1998 WCW but there is some. They stopped showing Nitros after like April 1998 so if there is a WCW show from 99-00, it's a PPV. I would say they're more concerned with Benoit usage than unmasked Rey.

Those were the most normal predictions. Back on RSPW, there were stories that Pillman or Owen faked their deaths and would be brought back to the public as the HP.

Faking death? Wow.
We weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer on RSPW, but the theory I remember making sense at least as much as Vince was DiBiase, as he had money and the history of having been the one to debut Taker initially.

Those were the most normal predictions. Back on RSPW, there were stories that Pillman or Owen faked their deaths and would be brought back to the public as the HP.

Faking death? Wow.
We weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer on RSPW, but the theory I remember making sense at least as much as Vince was DiBiase, as he had money and the history of having been the one to debut Taker initially.

I do remember someone writing a full set of Smackdown spoilers for that show that ended with the hood coming off and Owen Hart being underneath.  Nobody believed it but you could tell there were a few posters that wanted to believe.

They don't show a ton of post-1998 WCW but there is some. They stopped showing Nitros after like April 1998 so if there is a WCW show from 99-00, it's a PPV. I would say they're more concerned with Benoit usage than unmasked Rey.

Well were any of the shows from 99-00 ones with unmasked Rey? 

They've at least shown WCW Sin and SuperBrawl Revenge in full on Classics in the past year and Rey was unmasked on those shows.  WWE just seems to treat it like there happened to be some guy also named Rey Mysterio Jr who didn't wear a mask who may or may not be the same one as our guy.

WWWF was cool with 2 fans jumping the ring and a fat lady ready to brawl during the Fuji/Tanaka - Chiefs tag. I don't know why I didn't remember that. It must have been when they were still on at midnight on Saturday night and I was at some tavern during my college years. I liked the Mil scientific match too. I forgot that that kind of match even happened outside of Japanese rookie matches. It was a step up from the usual uneventful show.

They've at least shown WCW Sin and SuperBrawl Revenge in full on Classics in the past year and Rey was unmasked on those shows.  WWE just seems to treat it like there happened to be some guy also named Rey Mysterio Jr who didn't wear a mask who may or may not be the same one as our guy.

They cut the Rey match out of the show. 

I know they showed the Rey match on Sin because it was that stupid "Penalty Box" match with Jim Duggan as ref.  At the very least they had to have shown that match as a shortie because I just remember how stupid the entire thing was.

WWWF was cool with 2 fans jumping the ring and a fat lady ready to brawl during the Fuji/Tanaka - Chiefs tag. I don't know why I didn't remember that. It must have been when they were still on at midnight on Saturday night and I was at some tavern during my college years. I liked the Mil scientific match too. I forgot that that kind of match even happened outside of Japanese rookie matches. It was a step up from the usual uneventful show.

You inspired me to watch that episode, and that was a pretty fascinating hour of television:  even in the 70s fans were ruining technical matches by hollering and catcalling whenever Mil Mascaras and Ted Adams got in a compromising position, that WWE would still air a match that was brutally screwed up in the transfer (with Ken Patera's handicap match randomly FFWDing the entire time), that there would be for the first time ever a match involving Baron Mikel Scicluna and SD Jones that I literally had no idea who would win (so of course neither would), and that the WWWF was pulling the "OH NO, we're OUT of TIME!" card a decade before Jim Crockett and company was.

I know they showed the Rey match on Sin because it was that stupid "Penalty Box" match with Jim Duggan as ref.  At the very least they had to have shown that match as a shortie because I just remember how stupid the entire thing was.

Yeah I vaguely recall seeing that match.

I've never heard of Owen faking his death (which would've been unbelievably idiotic) but the Pillman stories were fairly common.

I have to search Google Groups, but I do remember both.  It didn't help that '97 was the starting period of when work and shoot were being blurred together.  And since Pillman did his XXX Files skits in a hotel room, there were people wondering if it was part of the storyline.  That and, well, it was post-'96 Pillman...

EDIT: And here is a sample...

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/owen$20higher$20power/z-netz.alt.wrestling.wwf/Me18Ryxq6b8/BEUxsuSmRFIJ

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/pillman$20higher$20power/rec.sport.pro-wrestling/xi6f2cM5Z1Q/T1ogcT50B5gJ

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/owen$20higher$20power/alt.pro-wrestling.wwf/FlfdPqYZm6E/M93fMgEGvQ4J

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/owen$20higher$20power/t-netz.wrestling.wwf/ebIiihD-ruY/aVyVUX6KjNQJ

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/pillman$20higher$20power/alt.pro-wrestling.wwf/hsh3K-EhTyk/9dEgYLBCFOkJ

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/pillman$20higher$20power/rec.sport.pro-wrestling/zu8C3iuwsMs/xyXDsgHAT9cJ

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/pillman$20higher$20power/rec.sport.pro-wrestling/Nsv4t5TRhy0/QZg8PeTRru4J

holy shit, this is hard to read, hindsight being 20/20 and all.