DVDVR Message Board

WWE Classics On Demand Thread

Phantom Lord

They have a section up for July called "California Dreaming" featuring matches that took place in California. There's a Ric Flair/Terry Funk Texas Death Match from Superbrawl 2000 in San Francisco that I never saw or even remember hearing about happening. For a few minutes it sounded like Tony Schivaone actually cared about what he was calling.

Dustin Rhodes was with Terry Funk, but didn't do anything in the match. They cut the video off as he got back into the ring so I assume that's when he turned on him. It was a fun old man match especially with Funk piledriving Flair on the floor.

• Like 1

The ending of the '97 Nitro is horrible. It's amazing that the closer and closer we get to the Hogan-Sting match the shittier the booking gets. I used to think that the booking fell apart at Starrcade but the cracks are already clearly showing.

Hogan doing THREE in ring promos was fucking absurd too. The NWO by this point is such a runaway train of awfulness that I wonder if it wouldn't have just been better to have the 3rd guy be someone else and have it run it's course in a quicker manner instead of existing from 96 to the end and helping kill the company.

Also, Zybysko is the shittiest announcer ever. He's completely incapable of putting someone other than himself over.

• Like 3

A couple of things that I noticed from the LA House Show:

-Casey/Bossman and Duggan/Andre both used the bear hug broken up by biting the nose spot two matches apart

-Superstar Billy Graham putting over Casey's  tan as he made a fiery comeback

-Rockers coming out to The Ultimate Warriors music.  Did they dub that over or was it a boo boo?

The ending of the '97 Nitro is horrible. It's amazing that the closer and closer we get to the Hogan-Sting match the shittier the booking gets. I used to think that the booking fell apart at Starrcade but the cracks are already clearly showing.Hogan doing THREE in ring promos was fucking absurd too. The NWO by this point is such a runaway train of awfulness that I wonder if it wouldn't have just been better to have the 3rd guy be someone else and have it run it's course in a quicker manner instead of existing from 96 to the end and helping kill the company.Also, Zybysko is the shittiest announcer ever. He's completely incapable of putting someone other than himself over.

Yeah the booking really started to get bad in the fall of '97. Pretty much from when Hogan beat Luger at Road Wild is when things started to get bad with nothing but nWo wankfests and constant heels going over. It was just depressing to watch. Outside of Sting (and DDP to an extent), it felt like there were no babyfaces capable of doing anything against the nWo.

It seems like WCW was trying to kill Sting as a legitimate threat to Hogan.

He finally gets the match with Hogan and proceeds to get the shit kicked out of him by the entire NWO, God only knows whats coming in the following weeks, and then the bullshit at Starrcade with the slow "fast count" and looking like he needed help and 2nd chances to beat Hogan. Sting might be 1 of the worst booked "franchise" guys in wrestling history.

It was nice of the CoD staff to have left Masato Tanaka's boss theme intact on the latest ECW update.

Probably because of how loose/convoluted Japanese copyright laws are, WWE legal couldn't figure out who to pay royalties to so they just said "fuck it."

Considering there's only about 50 of us left who actually subscribe to Classics, I wish they would just say "fuck it" and air everything unedited.  I doubt the people with power would actually notice.

I have to think the Junkyard Dog TNT "questions from the audience" was a total rib on JYD.  Everybody asks him about his training regiment and how much food he eats, and this was around the time Dog pretty much said "fuck it" to his physique.  So his answers pretty much are "I don't" and "a lot."

I haven't watched the most recent ECW yet... is it 2013 Joey Style cutting in or was the cut in from 1998?

'98 - they cut from mid-ring with Tommy to the announce position with Joey. It's almost like watching a wrestling show with alternate commentary with how it comes off.

I have so many great memories watching NWA Pro during the summer of 88...so this ep of WCW is awesome. Ronnie Garvin celebrating and rubbing the cash on his chest as JJ and Gary Hart cackle is one of the great "heel" memories of my youth.

I

• Like 1

I haven't watched the most recent ECW yet... is it 2013 Joey Style cutting in or was the cut in from 1998?

'98 - they cut from mid-ring with Tommy to the announce position with Joey. It's almost like watching a wrestling show with alternate commentary with how it comes off.

Is this the ECW episode where they were mocking CNN or something with the "BREAKING NEWS" graphics? I didn't have the internet back then so seeing Sandman gone was a shock.

I have so many great memories watching NWA Pro during the summer of 88...so this ep of WCW is awesome. Ronnie Garvin celebrating and rubbing the cash on his chest as JJ and Gary Hart cackle is one of the great "heel" memories of my youth.I

That was RGarvin's finest moment, in my learned opinion (Miss Atlanta Lively notwithstanding).

- RAF

I just watched the 3/22/99 and they not only had Austin vs. Big Show for the first time ever (with 0 hype) on the go-home show for WrestleMania, Austin pinned Show relatively cleanly (it was a few chair shots and a stunner but the chair shots almost felt normal considering how the match was progressing). That was so much potential money flushed away in a show where the big takeaway was Austin vs. Rock and not really to do with Show.

I remember reading that Vince was surprised at how poorly WCW used Big Show and how Vince just knew he'd use Show so much more effectively. He didn't.

I vividly remember watching Show lose on Raw back when it aired and thinking it was so stupid. Seeing it again, I'd forgotten they basically made it a handicap match with Foley as ref, in which case they should've just had a no-contest. Show kicked out a 3.1 anyway, so the pin meant nothing. Also, the best of Johnny Rodz section amuses me because it focuses on everyone but Johnny Rodz. The HoF piece at least has an interesting Rodz-KEVIN VON ERICH match from the WWF. I love Taz's middle finger to Rhino being blurred, but you can still clearly see him say FUCK YOU after a powerbomb no-sell spot. I liked Bubba doing the hiptoss>neckbreaker spot in the Kane/RVD tag - I don't remember him ever doing it.

Hogan's promo with Brutus on WWF Mania is something else. For one, his arms are really small. Also, the Money Inc. case was filled with 100 POUNDS OF STEEL! I love hearing Vince bury Bartlett and also ponder if Mr. Perfect can TWIRL A BATON perfectly. I somehow doubt that would have helped his gimmick.TNT is certainly interesting with its focus on Adonis. Kudos to him for going all-in on this character, and instead of pussy-footing around it with Goldust and Billy and Chuck, just outright calling the character gay. Granted, it was a character that was about as broad as could be, but it's still pretty daring.

Posted Image

I forgot how utterly stupid Triple H Conan the Barbarian gimmick was at the time for Wrestlemania 22 and yeah it is still true.  Never mind the thing on his head but that oversized title belt that almost goes up to his boobs it is so big

The John cena entrance is easily the funniest for so many reasons.  Never mind that it was CM Punk's debut but the idea that Al Capone was a hero to the people of Chicago and was a babyface is some great revisionist history.  

Trying to think if this is the first WWE major show where the crowd made their own minds on who to root for.  I mean yeah there was a period that Hogan was booed but he was still overwhelming the favorite. Top babyfaces like Trish Stratus, Rey Mysterio, and John Cena were heavily booed.  Cena to the point that that JR had to explain it with this "hip hop vs tradition" argument. 

There's Shawn vs. Sid in MSG at Survivor Series '96. Hogan vs. Rock at WrestleMania 18 and even Rock vs. Lesnar at SummerSlam 2002. I remember Mysterio getting booed some at Royal Rumble '08. For the most part though, the 'alternative' crowd reactions were mostly just for the aforementioned matches as opposed to occurring throughout the show.