DVDVR Message Board

WWE Classics On Demand Thread

Phantom Lord

My best guesses are because Ultimo Dragon was essentially a WCW guy and he had to win to stay strong for his match with Liger at the Dome even though the Cruiserweight title was never officially part of the J-Crown I don't think. Liger won to stay strong for Dragon and he was a special attraction in WCW like Muta, I don't recall them losing much once they became special attractions. Hokuto was a GAEA wrestler and I guess WCW had a working agreement with them considering the other women they brought in. Medusa and Hokuto wrestled a couple times and that was pretty much it. The belt was worthless and pointless though since WCW was clearly not committed to it whatsoever beyond the initial tournament.

Kinda bummed they showed an alternate Prime Time and not the one that was coming up where Bobby Heenan tells all the kids that Santa isn't real, and that their parents bought all those presents only for Piper to then beat the crap out of him.  Though I can kinda understand why they chose not to air it.  Here's the clip, one of Heenan's best heel moments ever:

• Like 6

Yup, every new video posted today has a message from Mean Gene at the beginning saying the service will be discontinued on Jan. 31st. WWE thanks us for our years of support.

Guess they are going full steam ahead with the network roll out.

While I know that the network is going down, I haven't seen one of those Mean Gene videos telling us that it is gone.  Wonder if some cable companies have different rules. Haven't watched all of the new December stuff but probably half of it.

Yup, every new video posted today has a message from Mean Gene at the beginning saying the service will be discontinued on Jan. 31st. WWE thanks us for our years of support.

Guess they are going full steam ahead with the network roll out.

While I know that the network is going down, I haven't seen one of those Mean Gene videos telling us that it is gone.  Wonder if some cable companies have different rules. Haven't watched all of the new December stuff but probably half of it.

Now Meltzer says in the newsletter, the network will be more like Netflix not on cable anymore, not sure I plan to join now.

I love that idea since it keeps the on demand nature of this, and you can still archive it if you want to via capture devices (assuming it'll have an app on the 360/PS3/Wii U/Xbox One/PS4).

Agreed. I much prefer a Netflix approach as opposed to cable. And maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I think a Netflix-like service would provide more old school programming and less Raw/Smackdown/something repeats and all that.

I watched most of the 2nd part of the Boston show from 87 that's up. It took a while before they mentioned his name, but Monsoon was completly ignoring The Duke of Dorchester. It was quite amusing during the Patera/Haynes vs. Demoltion match when The Duke kept correctly pointing out that Patera was using the heavy arm brace as a weapon. Bob Orton used his cast as a weapon for two years...but the one time a "good guy" did it...Monsoon turned a blind eye.

That was a fun little tag match that turned into a fun pier six brawl at the end. I'm guessing this had to be close to the end of Ken Patera's run with the WWF back then (or was he still around in 88).

Nick Bockwinkle was also doing commentary and he was really the fifth wheel between Monsoon being a homer for the good guys and Duke losing his shit every time a good guy cheated. While watching it I was trying to figure out, did Nick Bockwinkle ever wrestle at Madison Square Garden? In retrospect he was in still amazing shape for a guy his age back then. It's a shame they only gave him a trial run as an announcer. They could have had him join The Heenan Family in 87 and essentially be what Ric Flair was in 91 when he came over.

Nick Bockwinkle was also doing commentary and he was really the fifth wheel between Monsoon being a homer for the good guys and Duke losing his shit every time a good guy cheated. While watching it I was trying to figure out, did Nick Bockwinkle ever wrestle at Madison Square Garden?

Apparently not. Which is surprising since they found ways to give lots of other 70s guys a one-shot at the Garden. Not sure if the NWA-member WWF was more hesitant to give Bockwinkel a random match, since they gave Greg Gagne a match or two at MSG

Madison Square Garden, May 12, 1975

WWWF TITLE MATCH: Bruno Sammartino v Nick Bockwinkel in a Texas Death Match. The match only ends if there's a submission, or if one man is unable to answer the bell after being pinned. There are no disqualifications or countouts in this match and there must be a winner. Bockwinkel has Bruno trapped in the sleeper but Bruno uses the strength in his legs to repeatedly smash Bockwinkel into the corner. Bruno then applies the bearhug, and Nick has no choice but to submit.

Yeah, I saw that and then figured it had to be a fantasy thing. Would have been a fun match though. I was just curious though cause I know Bockwinkle defended the AWA World title at the Maple Leaf Gardens.

I think in the updates they had up a month or so ago, from an MSG show in 85 they had Mr. Wrestling II on a WWF show at the Garden. That's amazing if Bockwinkle never wrestled at MSG.

Piper came off like a fucking lunatic. Even by Piper standards. Piper gave kids chocolate bricks and shit for Halloween but what Heenan was saying was too much. The more I see if babyface Piper the more I hate it and think it's awful.

I got a huge laugh at Heenan saying the mall Santa was just a guy fresh from detox.

in retrospect, I guess Piper didn't work long enough at any one time to have a real heel run between 1986 and 1999, but it wouldn't have hurt for them to do some sort of testing of the idea at some point.

But maybe I'm just remembering the tortuously bad face Piper in the late 90s

The 1994 Christmas RAW was pretty funny for some of the wrong reasons:

1.  Shawn Michaels saying that Lex Luger "punches like a girl" 

2.  Rip Taylor and Double J at Ballys

3.  Tatanka as a "druid"

4.  I forgot that the Bushwackers was still in the WWF around 1994 and luckily forgot about the whole Finkel as the 3rd member part

5.  A Bob Backlund promo that I think was a week or two after losing the title with the crowd chanting "8 SECONDS".   Love crazy Backlund 1994 promos

6.  Chris Canyon doing a job to Bob Holly in what looks to be Jerry Lawler's ring gear

• Like 1

The 1994 Christmas RAW was pretty funny for some of the wrong reasons:

5.  A Bob Backlund promo that I think was a week or two after losing the title with the crowd chanting "8 SECONDS".   Love crazy Backlund 1994 promos

You forgot the part where Backlund calls Diesel "Kevin Nash" and Shawn Michaels makes fun of him on commentary for it.