DVDVR Message Board

WWE Classics On Demand Thread

Phantom Lord

If Shawn had been able to wrestle, that actually would have been a cool reveal. Undertaker puts his stock in a guy he could never beat, a guy with authoritative WWF power (storyline wise) and a guy wanting to seek revenge against the man who took his title. Plus, if they wanted to get all shooty, they could reference how Shawn was a master of politics and manipulation. Austin v. Shawn at SummerSlam 1999 with Jesse 'The Governing Body' Ventura as the referee? Would have been cool. Way better than Austin/HHH/Foley.

Also, anybody know how much longer Piper is on Prime Time Wrestling? Not only do I find him awful in the role (I am a Piper fan in general, just not in this situation), but he also screws up the tremendous chemistry between Gorilla and Bobby.

Anybody else find it weird that the intro to PTW ran as long as it did? I know things weren't like they are today, where they update them throughout the year. Because it's basically the same one from right after WM IV, save for the Rockers replacing the Bulldogs, and we're about to enter 1990. You'd think they would've used some newer footage by now. I guess it wasn't really a concern for the editing staff at the time.

His last show is the Christmas one

Thank goodness.

Anybody else find it weird that the intro to PTW ran as long as it did? I know things weren't like they are today, where they update them throughout the year. Because it's basically the same one from right after WM IV, save for the Rockers replacing the Bulldogs, and we're about to enter 1990. You'd think they would've used some newer footage by now. I guess it wasn't really a concern for the editing staff at the time.

Yeah it is a little odd because the old intro (pre-1988) always opened with Hogan as the feature guy since he was the champ, then they switched it to Savage after he won the title but haven't done anything since.

New Shows on On Demand: D-X month:

In Your House with D-X 12-7-97

New Age Outlaws vs Legion of Doom, Marc Mero vs Butterbean

Nitro 12-29-87

Eddie Guerrero vs Ultimo Dragon, Sting vs Hulk Hogan, 

Raw 12-29-97

Cactus Jack vs Road Dogg, Owen Hart vs Shawn Michaels

Summerslam part 1 & part 2 2005:

Rey Mysterio vs Eddie Guerrero in a ladder match for custody of Rey's son, Undertaker vs Randy Orton, Edge vs Matt Hardy

New & Improved D-X Part 1, Part 2 & Part 3 from June 2006:

D-X vs the Spirit Squad 2 on 5, Shawn vs Shane McMahon, Shawn & Triple H vs the McMahons, Shawn & Triple H vs Umaga.

Raw 3-5-99:

Austin & the Rock vs Undertaker & HHH Lumberjack match.

Smackdown 4-29-99:

Debut of the pilot episode here Rock & Austin vs Undertaker & HHH regular match I guess. New Age Outlaws vs Kane & X-Pac.

World Wide: 8-14-93:

Bagwell vs Orndroff, Harlem Heat vs some guys named Mike Thor & Dave Hart.

TNT: 3-14-86: The Funks and Jake the Snake Roberts.

New Shows added to their On Demand:

ECW= 11-13-98

RVD vs Tommy Dreamer

AWA All-Stars= 11-7-81

Hulk Hogan, Nick Bockwinkle, Bobby Duncum, Ken Patera, The Highflyers.

Stampede= 5-7-79

Jake Roberts vs Hercules Ayala

Something called NWO Revolution

Nassau Coliseum= 6-10-89 Part 1 & Part 2:

Andre vs Hillbilly Jim, Jim Duggan vs Haku, Jimmy Snuka vs Boris Zhukov, Hart Foundation vs Powers of Pain,

Brutus the Barber vs Greg Valentine, The Rockers vs The Rougeaus.

Man Randy Orton had a Eddie Guerrero like blade job in the DX vs Rated RKO match from 2007 New Years Revolution.  The last couple years in WWE before they went PG still had more than enough blood to make people happy.  Probably half of HBK matches from 2006-2008 were really bloody

Triple H's outfit on the '99 Raw thats up now is so absurd it has to be seen. Leather pants, leather blazer with the sleeves rolled up, and a big, gigantic fucking cross. He looks like some type of goth Miami Vice villain or an extra from a CW show.

• Like 1

New Shows added to WWE On Demand:

Souled Out Part 1 & 2:

This looks like a good one. Hogan vs the Giant, Eddie Guerrero vs Syxx in a Ladder Match, Hall & Nash vs the Steiners, Big Bubba vs Hugh Morris, Chris Jericho vs Masahiro Chono, Jeff Jarrett vs Michael Wallstreet.

Nitro 1-5-98:

Randy Savage vs Lex Lugar, DDP vs Chris Jericho

Raw 1-5-98:

it don't say much, just Steve Austin & DX.

A new TNT

NWA 8-13-88:

Barry Windham, Fantastics, Midnight Express, Kevin Sullivan & the Varisty Club, 4 Horsemen, Nikita Koloff, Lex Lugar.

Raw 5-10-99:

Pat Patterson & Gerald Brisco vs the Mean Street Posse, Cactus Jack in a Hardcore Match, Jeff Jarrett vs Barry Windham.

New Shows added to WWE On Demand:

Souled Out Part 1 & 2:

This looks like a good one. Hogan vs the Giant, Eddie Guerrero vs Syxx in a Ladder Match, Hall & Nash vs the Steiners, Big Bubba vs Hugh Morris, Chris Jericho vs Masahiro Chono, Jeff Jarrett vs Michael Wallstreet.

Nitro 1-5-98:

Randy Savage vs Lex Lugar, DDP vs Chris Jericho

Raw 1-5-98:

it don't say much, just Steve Austin & DX.

A new TNT

NWA 8-13-88:

Barry Windham, Fantastics, Midnight Express, Kevin Sullivan & the Varisty Club, 4 Horsemen, Nikita Koloff, Lex Lugar.

Raw 5-10-99:

Pat Patterson & Gerald Brisco vs the Mean Street Posse, Cactus Jack in a Hardcore Match, Jeff Jarrett vs Barry Windham.

Hahahahahahaha.

The ladder match is the only thing worth watching and it's still a huge letdown. The finish to the tag titles match is actually a lot of fun. Other than that, hilariously bad show. The women they have for the beauty contest were something.

• Like 1

Last year, when I watched the whole run of '96 and '97 WCW, that Riggs/Bagwell match felt like it would never end. It was an experience as a little kid to see something so different from the norm, but the novelty of the nWo theme wears thin quickly.

Yeah, it's actually pretty amazing we got almost the entire Crockett Techwood Drive run from 1985-1989.  It just kinda sucks we won't get to the Midnights/Cornette beatdown, the Dusty Rhodes spike incident, or the Steamboat comeback.  But we should at least get the Jimmy Garvin cinderblock incident where Garvin sells it too late.

I'm scared that the tv listings on the new network will just say tv classics or MSG or whatever and will be repeated constantly and have no dates and will be out of order. We will have to record it 24 hours and FF through it to try and figure out what is on.

My favorite part of Souled Out was the ring announcer voice over guy. The show was just weird and a lot of those women were hideous. I feel bad for people who either paid for a ticket or bought the PPV. But hat ring announcer voice over guy... just great.

I watched the Chono vs Jericho match from Souled Out '97 as that was the only thing I was interested in and it was just abominable in every way. I don't think I've ever seen 2 guys I love watching fail to click that badly. Just 2 guys who for whatever reason weren't even on the same book much less page. I don't think I could listen to Bischoff and DiBiase doing the announcing for the entire show either, it just seems like the show was a good idea in concept but horrible in execution.