DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-6-14 - Old School Raw

MGFanJay

All this nostalgia for the late 90s is quite funny to me because, if you were posting here in the late 90s, you'd remember just how much everybody was sick of Venis, Godfather, Too Cool, NAO and the like, even complaining about too much Austin and Rock.  I mean, if you go back and watch a couple Youtubes, or a Raw or two, you'll be all "Wow, everyone is so over! This is awesome!"  but when you watched every show, week after week, that shit grew tiresome.  Yes, even Austin stunnering everyone because it was the same thing every week, with the same complaints as with Cena: always going over his opponents, only losing due to major screw-jobs, with an announcer talking about him all show long, even while other guys were in the ring.  I can remember people during the Attitude Era clamoring for the Hart Foundation era.  In short, we wrestling fans are never, ever happy.

• Like 5

Let's see...

Ziggler = "SHOW... OFF"

Miz = "Awesome"

Kofi = "Boom! Boom!"

Del Rio = "My name is Alberto Del Rio. But you already knew that."

Bryan = "Yes!"

Axel = "Better than perfection."

Ryback = "Feed Me More", and "Ryback Rulez"

True, but during the attitude era you could just change the channel and watch Nitro if Raw was sucking. If you dislike the Godfather maybe DDP was on the other channel. Now when Miz comes on you are stuck. I think that's what made the attitude era work.

Well, I was watching Nitro more during that era. Maybe that's why I'm not as sick of some of these acts as some people.

I don't think there is a better word to describe Del Rio's faults than 'boring' to be honest.  He is mechanically solid and was having good 10-15 minute matches a week but lord almighty, if there was ever a case for someone missing 'it' it would be Del Rio.  I mean I can tell you what is wrong with everyone else on the roster (except Drew Mac cause he the best) but Del Rio... he's dull.  Dull as Mexican aristocratic dishwater.

All this nostalgia for the late 90s is quite funny to me because, if you were posting here in the late 90s, you'd remember just how much everybody was sick of Venis, Godfather, Too Cool, NAO and the like, even complaining about too much Austin and Rock.  I mean, if you go back and watch a couple Youtubes, or a Raw or two, you'll be all "Wow, everyone is so over! This is awesome!"  but when you watched every show, week after week, that shit grew tiresome.  Yes, even Austin stunnering everyone because it was the same thing every week, with the same complaints as with Cena: always going over his opponents, only losing due to major screw-jobs, with an announcer talking about him all show long, even while other guys were in the ring.  I can remember people during the Attitude Era clamoring for the Hart Foundation era.  In short, we wrestling fans are never, ever happy.

The word you're looking for is mingebags. Wrestling fans are mingebags.

Disappointed in the lack of jokes about DDP as Jake's ROAD BEEF.

My 9 year old daughter just walked by, read this over my shoulder and said "Jake's Road Beef sounds like the worst restaurant ever."

• Like 6

The thing about the late 90's (and also the 80's heyday) is that I think there is a legitimate question to be asked:  Was wrestling red hot because all those guys were so over, or did those guys all get such big reactions because pro wrestling itself was such a big deal?

Basically, I think it's worth asking if being on the same show as Rock and Austin (or Hogan and Savage) allowed Too Cool (or, say, The Bushwhackers) to get such loud reactions.

Well, the late 90's wrestling landscape (post Montreal) was like the Wild West. The WWE(F) said "fuck it, let's swear and get as much blood and boobage on screen as we can" while WCW had guys that were making a zillion dollars whether they showed or not AND were running the asylum so you never knew what the hell kind of chaos was going to happen there. Introduce talents like Austin and Rock into that kind of situation and it became MUST SEE tv for anyone with testicles. The American wrestling scene today is WAY too sanitized for that. It's now essentially one company with shareholders who want advertisers happy. So, we get homogenized, non-threatening characters with just enough personality to sell t-shirts. Since the promos are (by design in the PG era) going to be FAAAAAAR less edgy, they are less interesting to the above mentioned testicle crowd. So, the wrestling has gotten better to fill the extra space.

• Like 1

You're a horrible parent, letting your 9 year old read DVDVR.

No, she's a horrible kid for reading over my shoulder. She learned that from her mother...who is also horrible.

• Like 11

All of those guys got reactions because wrestling itself was such a big deal. They had a huge list of awesome workers on top that got the crowd going. But dudes like Too Cool and The Godfather would be DOA if they started these days.

The thing about the late 90's (and also the 80's heyday) is that I think there is a legitimate question to be asked:  Was wrestling red hot because all those guys were so over, or did those guys all get such big reactions because pro wrestling itself was such a big deal?

Basically, I think it's worth asking if being on the same show as Rock and Austin (or Hogan and Savage) allowed Too Cool (or, say, The Bushwhackers) to get such loud reactions.

well, you always knew how far you were in a given Raw by who was on the screen:

9-9:30 - DX, or some flavor (HHH/HBK, NAO, etc) fucking off for 1/2 an hour making fun of people. Sometimes it hit, sometimes it missed.

9:30-10 - A short match with either Val or Godfather or a tag match with Christian/Edge v. Chainsaw Charlie/Cactus Jack and another sketch or lead in to the main event. Expect to see your first glimpse of Rock, Austin, or whoever was over at the time on the screen.

10-10:15: Something to do with Vince, Sean-O, or someone in power trying to do something because "I HATE STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN"

10:20-10:35: Another match, usually one of the guys who wasn't on earlier versus one of the other guys who wasn't on earlier, or obligatory DX match.

10:40-11:00: Main Event, usually involving Rock or Austin.

11:00-11:05: Austin comes out and stuns everyone, then drinks beer and flip birds - or Rock coming out and Rock Bottoming everyone and stands on the second rope.

FADE OUT.

Before the brand split, shoehorn some Undertaker in there somewhere and after the split, shorhorn some RAW. IS. JERICHO.

Now granted, I'm leaving out stuff but you guys get the idea. With little variation that was pretty much how it went for a few years.

All of those guys got reactions because wrestling itself was such a big deal. They had a huge list of awesome workers on top that got the crowd going. But dudes like Too Cool and The Godfather would be DOA if they started these days.

That's an absurd thing to say. You just have bland taste in pro wres. Not everyone has to be an angry short guy who always has *** matches. Sometimes you need a pimp.

• Like 2

Caley is laying down some sense.  A one-off viewing of a late 90s RAW is pretty awesome.  It's just ridiculous and packed with absurdity and insane.  But it would seriously wear thin. 

I do think that the midcard guys today are blander and get old quicker, though.  FSW's argument about Kofi and Miz and the Usos and Dolph and Sandow isn't far off.  They are so deadly boring compared to the fantastical weridos back then.  But it falls apart when you try to put The Shield in there.  I'm hard pressed to think of anything in wrestling right now as exciting as their entrance, not just because it looks good but because you know what's coming is gonig to deliver both in work-stuff and acting and goofiness.  The whole thing.

On RAW this week, when Punk came out in his Ribera jacket (surprised this hasn't gotten more lashings here), that was Cole's cue to mention the first live broadcast in Japan was this week.  And I was wondering what fans over there would think of their first live Raw...and almost immediately, The Shield's entrance kicked in and my first thought was a weird kind of pride or something.  Like, how fucking impressive does this company look with that main event last night as just a regular weekly, free-t.v. main?