DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

If you have never taken the time to watch KOJAK! you should.  It's surprisingly dark.  It's set in that 70s NY City that was just a crumbling wasteland where everything was corrupt.  The whole show is just a slow motion crash of an urban governance machine collapsing while this cop sort of treads water and tries to deal with whatever horror show pops up that week.

The greatness of Telly Savalas is a given, but it's because of watching Kojak reruns that I realized how cool his brother George was as well.  You put Savalas DNA in the body of Marty Allen, and great things happened.

• Like 1

I really dug Hell on Wheels despite it not being the type of thing (westerns) I'm typically into.  The third season finale was absolutely horrible though.  I'm going to watch the first episode of season 4 tonight so we'll see if they've managed to fix things.

I've finally caught up on all the HOW episodes. Don't know how I feel about the Cullen marriage storyline. I like that The Swede is back b/c he was one of my favorite characters but the way they brought him back seems a little far fetched. As a Colm Meaney fan, I will say that I'm loving all the stuff they're doing with Durant.

So many great episodes.  There are two types I especially like:

1) The few where Columbo gets genuinely mad.  The Leonard Nimoy episode "A Stitch in Crime" and the Robert Conrad "An Exercise in Fatality." He gets tough with a female accomplice in the original movie "Prescription Murder" too.  But it almost never happens otherwise.

2) The ones where he sympathizes with the murderer a little:  Ruth Gordan in "Catch me if you Can,"  Donald Pleasence in "Any Old Port," (Falk and Pleasence are so great together) and Janet Leigh in "Forgotten Lady" as an old MGM Musical star suffering from dementia.

Also I think he feels some sympathy for Trish Van de Veere as a woman trying to prove herself as a t.v. network executive while all the old boys are trying to make her fail in "Make me a perfect murder."

I happened to stop on this SHARK OF DARKNESS thing just as it was coming on, and my first thought was, "I liked Shark Week better before they did all this hokey dramatization stuff to spice up the history and science."

Shortly thereafter I realized, oh no, this is all 100% bullshit.

Shameful.

Yeah, I mean, I lived for this stuff when I was a kid. The science of actual sharks and the marine biologists who study them were plenty cool enough for me. No made-up shit was necessary to hold my attention.

It's actually slightly infuriating to think that any kids watching tonight, instead of learning something useful, are going to think that this "Submarine" shark really exists.

• Like 1

My girlfriend is a huge Helen Mirren fan and has every series of Prime Suspect on DVD. I've been curious about it so we watched the first series tonight and I dug it quite a bit. Watching it felt like seeing the template many other "modern" procedurals use. I also loved how everyone grew to love Mirren's Tennison character, whereas earlier on, things were so male dominated, she barely had a chance. The first series had me guessing until the very end too.

Ah Richard Benjamin, just the name makes me want ot watch Love at First Bite but then I'd actually be watching Love At First Bite and no man, woman not child should subject themselves to that

James

Ah Richard Benjamin, just the name makes me want ot watch Love at First Bite but then I'd actually be watching Love At First Bite and no man, woman not child should subject themselves to that

James

Watch SATURDAY THE 14TH instead.  Then you get Jeffrey Tambor too.  And Stacey Keach's dad.

I am two episodes into the BBC version of Sherlock. I am enjoying this, but I am not loving this to the degree that others here have mentioned. It may be a case of Sherlock overkill for me in recent years once you consider two movies, House, and Elementary. I also really like Johnny Lee Miller's take on Sherlock, so Cumberbatch's performance is a little jarring for me. I had a hard time buying the pilot episode as well. I felt like Sherlock's first encounter with an antagonist went too far into beating me over the head with "this is who Sherlock Holmes is" and did not do much to add to the stakes because Sherlock could have walked away and brought in the cops at any given time. I understand that's not a decision that Sherlock would make, but I do not need it to be that on the nose. I would rather his intrigue be less forced and more organic.

The second episode was a lot better in my mind, but I thought the plot device used with the mystery was a lot more interesting.

The thing about "Sherlock" is that for the longest time it was lauded for updating Sherlock into the 21st century, with the onscreen texting and what-have-you, but now that's kinda commonplace and the cracks show when you go into it after watching other modern adaptations/procedurals.

I guess I'm gonna have to catch up on THE LEFTOVERS and start watching that on Sunday nights, because I'm not sure how much more of THE STRAIN I can take. It's worse than THE WALKING DEAD at this point. Dude flushing his balls might be the high water mark of the series.

I continue to mourn the death of my Showtime subscription. Praise for THE KNICK has got me wishing I still had Cinemax, too.