DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2014 & Beyond)

RIPPA

It's weird to get mad or upset about something like that. It's just a business decision. There will be plenty of games on both systems to enjoy.

I'm in the minority I know but I own a ps4 and at some point I will own an Xbone and I won't play a tomb raider game on either console. It's just not my thing.

Didn't Resident Evil go "exclusive" for Nintendo for a short while?  It didn't last very long.  

IIRC they made 2 Gamecube exclusives: RE:make and RE 0. RE 4 was also a gamecube exclusive for about a year then it hit PS2.

You're still going to get like 80% of games no matter what system you buy, and that's a change that happened in our fucking life times.

I swear, it's like some people don't remember how heinous 16-bit shit got. This is still a goddamn golden-age in comparison.

Great post, though I'm fairly sure the rage is reserved for the particular type of exclusive Microsoft introduced a decade ago where a company will pay to delay or effectively destroy games rather than create them. It flaring up now is still a viable point to mock however.

The 80% comment reminded me of the other reason I was amused by this. Despite the console running away with gen eight, the PS4 is not getting 80% of the games released. I'm trying to picture the hordes of people who own a Playstation 4, are fine with going without Vita exclusives, Japanese-focused developers, Microsoft's exclusives, Nintendo's studios, Nintendo's affiliated studios, just about the 3DS's entire library, the masses of PC-only indie games, community-based PC gaming and all of the blossoming iOS gaming explosion... then lose their shit because they can't play Tomb Raider.

• Like 1

Now I remember why I quoted the golden age bit - another part of the Kamiya console warrior twitter thing was this.  Not only were there a ton more exclusives back in the day, there were a ton more systems to divide them between and the best part was that you had to sit and pray that any of them even reached your country in the first place. So you could pay obscene prices for them.

If they weren't arcade games, that is.

Every now and again you'd get a home downport like Street Fighter II and you'd love the hell out of it because Digital Foundry wasn't around yet to count how many pixels were on screen and tell you it sucked.

Bioware's new RPG is called Shadow Realms

EDIT - PC only right now and it is described as "4v1 story-driven Online Action RPG"

I've seen all the vids at the You've Been Chosen channel on YouTube.  Totally stoked.

There is even some backstory for you, Rippa!

Kinda bummed that this is primarily PC focused, but it is about time that PC gaming got some priority.  Hopefully my rig will run it now that there are sign-ups for the closed alpha.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mario Kart DLC was brought up in the Smash thread, which reminded me of this DVDVR-suited gif (which oddly enough glosses over what seems to be its biggest selling point of featuring 16 new tracks for a 32 track game)

BowedGregariousHydra.gif

Tried the demo for the PS4 version of NHL 15.  It's really pretty.  Definitely a jump in fidelity over the PS3 version of NHL 14.  Granted my exposure is limited as I only had time for a single game but...seems to play pretty well with more deflections off of sticks than I recall seeing previously.  It seems to do a better job with the poke check button not being an automatic penalty like it has been for ages.

Some gripes - the camera selections suck.  "Classic" is zoomed too far out and I don't like the "Dynamic" ones as they swing the camera side-to-side a bit.  Also, just like in NHL 14, the AI seems to never commit penalties. 

I can't see myself buying this right away but if the digital version drops to $30?  I could do that.  Though Dell does have pre-orders of the game for $60 and they throw in a $25 Dell gift card...

• 2 weeks later...

Shadow of Mordor looks like Amalur/Soul Reaver and those parts in Far Cry 3 where yer sneakin' around killing everybody all nimbly pimbly then fucking up and letting a fucking bear loose.

With Arkham Asylum combat and Assassin's Creed parkour. You'll probably have to find some flags or Gollum's Challenges.

MMO's are a declining model.  No one goes for the sub ones anymore, they all go F2P/P2W and sit there.  SW:TOR exists, but isn't exactly doing a ton to keep players, DDO is dying a slow, painful death, and WoW is just old.  

I looked at FF IV, but fuck if I'm gonna drop money on the game then pay an additional sub fee on top.  And the rest Pay Expansion pack you right out if you didn't jump in right away.

Even grind monkeys are getting sick of grinding.