DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Still playing Diablo 3.  Pandemonium can kiss the doughiest part of my ass.  Tiny narrow hallways with swarms of enemies + elites leads to lots of deaths.  I'm looking forward to getting through Act V and unlocking adventure mode to start getting the real sweet loot.

I've also been futzing around with Bionic Dues.  It's a mech-based roguelike with heavy customization and strategic elements.  So it hits pretty much every one of my "awesome game" buttons.  The execution leaves a bit to be desired; the systems are fairly opaque and the interface is limited, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.  Plus it's from the makers of AI War, about which I've gone on at length.

Diablo 3 is maybe the best "zone out and relax" game I've ever played. The combat is so damn satisfying. I'm hurling Force Lightning around like a Sith Lord and just tearing fools apart.

Currently playing on the 360. Considering buying the PS3 version with the expansion so I can play it both at my girlfriend's place and at home. I could see myself still playing this a ton even a year from now.

It's the best couch co-op game.  Between the base game and the expansion my girlfriend and I have put easily 100 hours into it.  I love that it's equally fun to roll through casually and try out different builds, and to get into serious min/maxing and loot grinding.

It's still hard for me to see that purchase working out well for Microsoft, at least from a financial perspective.  It's nice to see the Mojang folks get real paid, though, as they all seem like decent enough people.

I decided to give WoW a try this weekend for the first time.  It's, like, really shitty but in a very compelling way.  I don't know that I'm necessarily having fun, but I want to keep doing it.  I appreciate how much work they've put into the lore and worldbuilding at least.  I suppose I might think differently of it if I knew anyone else that played it, but everyone I know gave up on it long, long ago.

To any Chicago residents on the board, do you remember a shopping center in the late 1980s/early 1990s that had a Battletech arcade in it and do you remember what the shopping center was called?

Only one I know of or remember well is one called "Battletech Center."

Last night I got all the way up to the final boss fight on Rainbow Moon.   The fight took forever and I got wiped out.  It was too late at night to try again so will try tonight.  That was annoying.  Unlike pretty much every other battle, this one appears to have some actual strategy involved so I may adjust some stuff.  I also need to grind out some more pearls (which you get from killing stuff) in order to boost my characters' HP.  None of them are at their max HP because I simply don't have the pearls to boost them (yet another annoyance about the game...).  After beating the boss, there's a bunch more side quests and post-game stuff to complete.

You need to get Deadly Premonition if it's still on sale in the PS Store. It's a bit like Alan Wake only kooky and a complete Twin Peaks rip-off as viewed through the eyes of a Japanese game dev. Also, half assed conrols/gaming but everything else makes up for that so far

One of the few people who I can say I've known for 20 years (I usually scare people off after the first few months) got me an Amazon gift card for my birthday, and so I decided that my love of all things Tolkein could get me through LEGO Lord of the Rings. If nothing else, I am now the recipient of my nephews' envy, since Auntie Jenn is so cool to have LEGO stuff they don't have yet. ;-)

• Like 2

Dear Visceral Games,

I really want to know which one of you was fucked up in the head enough to create the Elementary School Sequence in Dead Space 2.

That shit was fucked up.

I had nightmares from that section.

It was so great.

Oh and I did it. I now have a Platinum trophy in Killzone 2.

• Like 1

speaking of fucked up shit, anyone play the Danganronpa series? That's some seriously mindtwistingly fucking nightmare level stuff.

Oh, and in other news:

Currently playing Destiny, three new games to play in the next couple days (Rugby Manager 2015, Shadowrun Returns:Dragonfall extended edition, Wasteland 2)..

(Jaws guy) "We're going to need a bigger boat"

speaking of fucked up shit, anyone play the Danganronpa series? That's some seriously mindtwistingly fucking nightmare level stuff.

Somebody I follow on twitter was posting screenshots all last night.  This one is my favorite:

BxtKjlqCMAAD0uU.jpg

• Like 1

Oh and I did it. I now have a Platinum trophy in Killzone 2.

I freaking love that game.  I bought it when I got my PS3...err, rather, I bought a second controller and the game came with it for free.  I avoided playing it because I hated playing FPS games using a controller but I finally gave in one night and said "screw it, I'm gonna figure this out".  I struggled like mad but finally got it and ended up beating the game.  Fantastic graphics, a good story, the whole nine yards.  Kudos on getting the platinum - I can't even imagine.

The best part of this story?  I'm sorta stuck with the game - it doesn't have a UPC on it that any stores recognize so I can't trade it in.  Would have to sell it on Ebay for 50 cents, LOL.

Last night I got all the way up to the final boss fight on Rainbow Moon.   The fight took forever and I got wiped out.  It was too late at night to try again so will try tonight.  That was annoying.  Unlike pretty much every other battle, this one appears to have some actual strategy involved so I may adjust some stuff.  I also need to grind out some more pearls (which you get from killing stuff) in order to boost my characters' HP.  None of them are at their max HP because I simply don't have the pearls to boost them (yet another annoyance about the game...).  After beating the boss, there's a bunch more side quests and post-game stuff to complete.

Beat the main story last night.  I did a bit of reading online and combined that with my own changes in strategy and I easily took out the final boss on my second try.  So, whaddaya know, every once in a awhile, strategy actually matters in this game.  Who knew?  Now I've gotta finish off all the side quests and leveling up my character to get the platinum.  It's gonna happen!