DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

This is a pretty good recap.

As for information about the internet's treatment of his friends/cohorts a good place to start is looking up Zoe Quinn, her game Depression Quest, and the completely bonkers response to it. Then know this is common for people making things that aren't the exact binary of "what video games are." Doubly so if they're not white guys.

I wouldn't want to make games for them either.

That video gives me a stupidly dumb headache. This has nothing to do with internet behavior or any of the flim flam jibbuh jabbuh in that video. I'll also disagree that the world at large doesn't know or care who makes video games. In a video about generalizations being bad or pointless, that's a huge one right there. In any event, Phil Fish behaves much like a petulant child would. He has done so for years. And hey, I get it, making a game all by yourself is incredibly difficult and Phil appears to have learned this the hard way. This is the path he chose though, and in doing so, he needs to not talk so much shit about other video games that are not his own. Those games he shits on come out on time, are very well polished and have a machine behind them. It isn't just one person fucking around trying to make shit happen and if he doesn't like his path, maybe some humility would do him some good. If he wants to continue developing games, maybe not talk so much shit about the industry as a whole and join with a publisher who would provide him with a safety net and support? Instead, Phil would prefer to martyr himself and talk a wad of shit on Twitter while screaming profusely about the injustices of the world. That's his right; however, when you make the announcement he just did, reacting to the criticism he received by screaming out on Twitter, and mockingly so, that he's having another internet meltdown is stupid. All that does is breed negativity.

Phil does have the ability to block users, much like many "stars" would. He appears to thrive on conflict though, so why block people when you can continue to talk shit and throw yourself on your sword repeatedly.

I'm sure Phil is a decent enough guy, but he rarely comes off as such. And when I want to empathize with the guy for his struggles, I sometimes find it hard to do so when he acts like a complete jerk.

This says nothing of those baiting him on Twitter and those people are even worse. Still, there are many ways of ignoring the mutants and Phil chooses to not go that route.

I couldn't care less if there's never a Fez 2 primarily because there is practically a Fez 2 built into Fez 1. I'd rather see him make something different that is equally, if not more beautiful than Fez. I hope he continues make his art and if he doesn't, he doesn't. My world will keep spinning. 

As you wrote that Zoe Quinn had a bunch of personal information outed to try to harass and shame her out of being a publicly accessible figure in the games industry.

As I'm writing this, she just had all of her shit hacked, and all possible contact information about her is being broadcasted through those channels.

But if you can show unlimited civility in the face of a crowd that revels in this kind of shit, you have a point.

EDIT: Oh, or explain why they deserve civility! That'd be good too.

• Like 1

As you wrote that Zoe Quinn had a bunch of personal information outed to try to harass and shame her out of being a publicly accessible figure in the games industry.

As I'm writing this, she just had all of her shit hacked, and all possible contact information about her is being broadcasted through those channels.

But if you can show unlimited civility in the face of a crowd that revels in this kind of shit, you have a point.

EDIT: Oh, or explain why they deserve civility! That'd be good too.

Somebody on twitter the other day said something along the lines of "Sometimes I think about the generation of men we lost to 4chan and it makes me really sad."  I've been thinking about that a lot lately.

On the games front I got WWE 2K14 on the cheap and I'm enjoying it.  I'm not crazy about some of the controls, particularly kicking out of a pin, but it seems solid overall.  The Wrestlemania mode is tons of fun.

I'm getting Diablo 3 Ulimate Evil Edition in the mail today so that'll eat up all my gaming time for the foreseeable future.

Which console you getting Diablo 3 for? I got it on PS4, we're recording video of it tonight.

PS3.  The girlfriend and I have already put about 100 hours into the base game, so it'll be nice to change things up somewhat.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, went to start Sleeping Dogs last night. My mate recommended it to me after we'd watched Raid 2 a few months back.

One hour of updates and installations later I turned off my PS3 and went to bed

That game freaking rocks.

yeah, it's strange I don't remember hearing anything about it when it came out. I guess gamers are scared of new IPs/weary of perceived GTA knock-offs.

Finally got round to playing it last night and am enjoying it so far (only just opened the world up)

Count me in for Diablo 3 festivities (again) but on PS4. If I'm not boosting in Far Cry 2 or trying to Platinum Just Cause 2, I might play online this weekend.

And for whatever reason, I also got Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare on PS4 along with Tales of Xillia 2.

Can't wait for next week and Infamous: First Light & Metro Redux.

How'd you not hear about it.  Neil, Tabe, and I were gushing about it when it came out originally.

My gushing came much later - I just beat the game last year or early this year. [/nitpick]

I abruptly stopped playing RE: Revelations a couple of months ago, and picked it back up tonight with the goal of finishing. And...my god, that final boss is terrible, especially when you're rusty on the control scheme. Here's to me getting lucky this weekend...

For the Crusader Kings II people, how important would you say the three DLC packs that come with the humble bundle version are (Russian, Norse, African Unit packs)? Am I missing a bunch if I move those on?

Seems to be a game that's gone a bit berserk with DLC, but none the less I'm looking forward to playing it.

Those packs are cosmetic, so they're skippable. You can get plenty of mileage out of the base game and wait for the DC to go on sale, which it does frequently. Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, The Republic, The Old Gods, Sons of Abraham, and Rajas of India are the ones you really want as they actually add game play content. I'd say The Old Gods is the best of the bunch.

• Like 1

Sadly, the Game of Thrones mod has some pretty big flaws.  It got real good once they finally added in Essos, but the mega-war system it still busted (at least as of 2 updates ago).  Basically, no one but Mercs and Ironborn get ships, because if fucks the armies, and the kingdom breakup when any official war starts can screw things up, since your bannermen if you're a Lord Paramount don't like to answer your call (I always had constant issues getting the damn Riverlands to raise levies when playing as the Starks.)

And Dragons when playing as early Tagaryans/Dany are hella broken.  And Dany's lack of ability to produce an heir makes playing her no fun.

They did fix the problem with the Mance and the Wildlings always conquering the North no matter what unless you cheated with the Sellsword Companies playing from War of Five Kings on.

Playing the long game to finally get a Stark on the Iron Throne almost made up for the problems with the mod.

I like Dishonored more and more as I continue to push through. The enemies are just smart enough to be annoying at times and, while entirely predictable, I'm enjoying the story/lore/world as well.

I'm also a sucker for nearly any game with a crossbow or bow that I can use. I just find it way more satisfying than using guns for no reason I can pinpoint.

Anyone play through the DLC? Worth picking up?

I have absolutely no goddamn clue what I'm doing in Crusader Kings II. Kind of a muddy tutorial... and I swear the part on marriage is broken. No matter.

Thinking I should probably not start as the King of England or someone too high up the food chain until I get the hang of it all.

How do you raise your ruler's skills, like if you pick "get better at diplomacy" as your ambition, how do you actually do that?

So many questions. This looks like the Axis and Allies board game but with so much more politics, hopefully I can figure it out by the end of winter, lol

I have absolutely no goddamn clue what I'm doing in Crusader Kings II. Kind of a muddy tutorial... and I swear the part on marriage is broken. No matter.

Thinking I should probably not start as the King of England or someone too high up the food chain until I get the hang of it all.

How do you raise your ruler's skills, like if you pick "get better at diplomacy" as your ambition, how do you actually do that?

So many questions. This looks like the Axis and Allies board game but with so much more politics, hopefully I can figure it out by the end of winter, lol

Yeah, they've made some major changes to the game mechanics but haven't updated the tutorial, unfortunately.  It helps to read or watch a Let's Play of the game to give you some ideas of where to start.  

I'd recommend starting as the Duke of Munster in 1066.  Being relatively isolated means you don't have to worry about the major powers, and you have some built-in short-, medium-, and long-term goals (Unifying the duchy, Ireland, and Brittannia respectively).  This is a game that rewards patience and brutally punishes over-reach, so don't try to do too much too soon.

The marriage stuff is...complicated.  In general it's better early on to marry your heirs off to people with good stats and fertility (look for the 'Lustful' trait) rather than trying to marry into powerful dynasties.  But it's still good to be on the lookout for marriages that will give you favorable alliances.

Raising skills can be a little arbitrary.  When select an ambition to improve a skill, it means you have a certain chance to trigger events that can raise that skill.  But they won't necessarily happen soon, and you have to make the right decisions when the events fire.

• Like 1