DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Found XCom for PS3 at Target on clearance for $10. I'm enjoying it, trying to get a handle on it. What's the best way to develop your soldiers? Stick with a core crew, or spread the action around to other soldiers you have?

Enemy Unknown or Enemy Within?

I will also beat Fresh too it. Pray you never get a recruit named Arn Anderson

Because you will be sad when he dies

Found XCom for PS3 at Target on clearance for $10. I'm enjoying it, trying to get a handle on it. What's the best way to develop your soldiers? Stick with a core crew, or spread the action around to other soldiers you have?

Enemy Unknown.

BTW, IGN has updated their site with a PS3-specific review of Watch Dogs and it boils down to: good game, bad performance.  7.5/10.

Watch Dogs really reminds me of Assassin's Creed 1 in that there is a tonne of potential there but the repetitive side missions and some awkwardness make for a fun yet incomplete feeling experience. They'll flesh things out, add more variety to the world and side missions for the second game (and knowing Ubisoft, it'll be out by Christmas...).

I picked up a Wii U after trading in a bunch of PS4 games I was done with. I bought Gamecube at the end of its relevancy and never got into it. Skipped the Wii, so it hasn't really been until the N64 that I got some serious Nintendo gaming in. Holy shyitballs is Super Mario 3D Wold a blast. I'm just giggling like a little kid playing it. It's been too long, Mario. Much too long!

I've been playing enough of NFSMW the past week on both systems that I'm pretty sure I'd buy the complete DLC pack if it were cross-buy. But I can't see buying it JUST for PS3 or Vita, and I am sure as shit not shelling out $60 to unlock it on both sides.

I will also beat Fresh too it. Pray you never get a recruit named Arn Anderson

Because you will be sad when he dies

Psh.... my Arn never died. Don't be silly. I think it was because I gave him the lucky pink armor and neon blue Mohawk.

Finished Arkham origins - the Deathstroke fight can go fuck itself until I learned not to mash the counter button.

After that it was plain sailing. Loved the addition of the shockgloves - thought that was a really good addition.

Now onto finishing off Lego marvel.

BTW, IGN has updated their site with a PS3-specific review of Watch Dogs and it boils down to: good game, bad performance.  7.5/10.

I played a little on my friend's XBone yesterday before heading home for the usual ME3 madness with Rippa.

The game reminds me of Assassin's Creed a bit but Aiden Pearce reminds me of Alex Mercer from Prototype in a not so good way. 

Gruff, Tortured, and Grim <> Character Development.  These guys watched too many Nolan Batman movies because the most of the supporting cast are far more interesting personalities than Aiden is.

The only characters with an orginial feel to them are Jordi and T-Bone.  Clara is the hacker girl archaetype made popular by Lisbeth Salanger and Chloe O'Brien, Dermot Quinn is a by the numbers mob boss bad guy, and Iraq is the training wheels / cannon fodder /  evil lackey I've put down dozens of times in the usual sandbox gameplay training missions that usually show up in titles like this.

Oh, it's that time, kids...

http://fourjobfiesta.com/

I'm already pre-reg'd and working on a practice run using the jobs I rolled in my failed run last year (White/MK/Bard/Chem).  Cannot wait for the potentially diabolically frustrating or laughably easy journey the real run will provide (I already know that the practice will be a breeze based on Chemist alone, aka "please, break this game into a thousand pieces").

Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of Marvel Heroes. If you have tried it out and you got a character over 30, log in sometime in the next week to get 365 free items!

If you haven't played it, tomorrow is the perfect time to try it out! It's free. And if you get a character up to level 30 in that week (which really only takes like 4 hours or less), you'll also get the 365 free items! Don't miss it.

Just when I swear I'm not going back until Hank Pym goes live in a year...

They've also revealed their secret Anniversary character. The Silver Surfer launches tomorrow.

And the game's first ever raid against Surtur the Fire Demon is also tomorrow.

Well here, this is all the Anniversary stuff: https://www.marvelheroes.com/news/news-articles/marvel-heroes-2015-nears-0

Massive launch continues Gaz commitment to improve and expand.

We're quickly approaching the imminent launch of Marvel Heroes 2015. The press materials are set, the assets are packaged, the servers are warm, the wire is taught, and the heroes are ready to rock 'n' roll. Soon, we'll launch and make new our pledge to delivering another year of impossible improvement and immeasurable growth (surprisingly measurable thanks to forthcoming infographics).

In-game, we're gearing up to unleash Surtur, the epic lord of fire demons and master of Muspelheim. But, that terrifying monster is just the beginning of Marvel Heroes 2015.

Throughout the course of our month-long anniversary celebrations, expect:

Surtur Raid: The aforementioned ruler of fire demons headlines an epic end-game event for 10 players.

Omega System: Advance, alternately. The Omega System allows for even further character customization and progression up to and beyond level 60.

Daily Shared Quests: A new way to undertake missions and adventures reserved for earth's mightiest.

Achievements: Accomplish the impossible and be recognized – some are even catered to individual heroes.

Login Rewards: Showing our appreciation for committed players by thanking them with many awesome things.

Silver Surfer: The Herald nears. Will Norrin Radd's arrival presage doom, bring salvation, or just deliver a cool new hero to play? (Hint: It's the last one.)

365: Days of. Gifts for. Oh yes, we have plans.

End of Anniversary: End of Anniversary: A celebratory surprise event to close out the month.

And that's to start!

Our in-game update is scheduled to occur shortly. Check back here and on the Forums for the latest up-to-the-minute.

Oh... Our kickoff is going to include a big weekend event, too.

Am just over a third of the way through Console Wars, the new book covering the battle between Nintendo and Sega in the early/mid 90s.  Lots of great information but...

It's blatantly obvious that Sega's Tom Kalinske was the main source for the book.  And that the author took his word for pretty much everything.  As a result, we learn that Kalinske has never lost a job because he stopped being good at it, that he's never made a bad decision ever, and that every good idea or decision from Sega was Kalinske's and nobody else's.  Also, if anything ever goes wrong, it was Sega of Japan's fault.  Beyond that bias, the author also went for a writing approach that leans toward the "novelesque" in terms of style.  As a result, we get obviously faked dialogue, details, and scenery that just sound....fake.  I prefer a much more factual style in my non-fiction books. 

All that said, so far anyway, this has been a great read and well worth picking up.

Fun story that highlights the author's shortcomings/bias at the same time: Apparently Sega approached EA to rescue them when development on Joe Montana Football was way behind schedule, asking them to make the game using the John Madden engine.  This is something I either never knew or had forgotten.  Trip Hawkins eventually agreed and EA made the game.  The author then goes on to rave about the game, saying people "had no idea" (true) that it was the same game as Madden and so on.  Well...people had no idea because Montana wasn't as good.  NOBODY at the time thought the games were equal.  There's a reason one franchise is now 30 years old and the other has been dead for 20.  The funny part?  The author raves about EA helping out Sega and how awesome this was for Sega while ignoring that EA intentionally crippled Joe Montana Football so that it wouldn't be as good as their own game.  But that doesn't fit the pro-Kalinske, pro-Sega narrative, so it just gets left out.

Finished up a replay of Manhunt today. Still a fun and very creepy game and worth the $2.50 I paid for it on PSN ;)

I noticed in the credits Jon Bernthal was a model for one of the characters.

Time to start working on the backlog on my PS3's hard drive - probably will move on to Bully next since I never played through the whole game before.

A friend of mine gave me his Club Nintendo code from Mario Kart 8, and I saw that those that enter a code from MK8 gets a download of either New Super Mario Brothers U, Pikmin 3, Legend of Zelda Windwaker, or Wii Party U. 

My question for those that know, is it like the PSN, you can get it now and download it to your WiiU when one eventually gets a WillU?

If you don't know the differences you shouldn't buy Ultra.

I have Arcade, so the upgrade to Ultra is miniscule. I was just curious of the consensus. I am very much a casual street fighter player.

I want to get a pad to hopefully make playing a little more smoother, but I just can't justify $100+ for one now.

I offer the following review of FTL: Faster Than Light.

THE BOSS IS SERIOUS EVIL VIDEO GAME NONSENSE AND WILL MAKE YOU ANGRY

YOU WILL DIE MANY TIMES

YOU WILL CONTINUE TO PLAY BECAUSE THIS GAME IS GOOD AND FUN

MAYBE NEXT TIME YOU WILL FIGURE OUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE FIST OF A THOUSAND DRONES

ROGUELIKE INFINITE UNIVERSE OF DWARF FORTRESS FRUSTRATION IN SPACE

LOUD NOISES

Just one more game...

• Like 4