DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Cam Newton to have ankle surgery, recovery time is estimated to be 4 months.

I'll check on Jenn.  Who's got Shadow and Veeg?

*incoherent whimpering noises*

In all seriousness, I think this is the ankle he had stomped on mid season, and it never was quite right afterwards. Hopefully this will go smoothly.

Because you are an old fuddy-duddy who hasn't learned standard English ain't important no mo'.

You are also drunk. Please go home. Neener. :P

Just for that, no Hawaii postcard for you.

NFL Network is saying that the Raiders have finally signed Donald Penn

I do like this trend of guys visiting the Redskins and then immediately signing with someone else

NFL Network is saying that the Raiders have finally signed Donald Penn

I do like this trend of guys visiting the Redskins and then immediately signing with someone else

I wonder how much more money the Raiders have to get to the minimum 90% spend of the cap?  I think they had the most to work with when free agency started.

NFLPA had the Raiders as having still $32 million left after the first week of FA.

Now that definitely won't include the Penn deal and I don't know if the NFLPA automatically includes the rookie pool money in that.

And the 90% thing is done in 4 year gaps - the first one being 2013-2016. So they just need to make sure they spent 90% of their total cap space over that 4 year span.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 25s

Colts announce Jim Irsay has checked into a facility "for the treatment and care necessary to help him meet his challenges head-on."

So noble seeking help for his problem; of course if he had used his wealth to get a cab or limo or whatever instead of driving under the influence, he might pass for a decent human being. IF being the operative word.. 

• Like 1

Colts announce Jim Irsay has checked into a facility "for the treatment and care necessary to help him meet his challenges head-on."

So noble seeking help for his problem; of course if he had used his wealth to get a cab or limo or whatever instead of driving under the influence, he might pass for a decent human being. IF being the operative word..

Does anyone know it the owners are able to use the services that the NFL talks about where they will pay for a driver if players call a number they provide?

Does anyone know it the owners are able to use the services that the NFL talks about where they will pay for a driver if players call a number they provide?

I'm sure they do. But the fact that the majority of them are billionaires, I doubt they'd sully themselves with "Local Cab Company X".  Nor, frankly, should they.  

I'm sure they do. But the fact that the majority of them are billionaires, I doubt they'd sully themselves with "Local Cab Company X". Nor, frankly, should they.

I'm not disagreeing with that point just an intresting question...thou I don't think that service is just a local cab company I'm guessing it's a higher end driver serves that requires confidentiality clauses

The new rules and bylaws proposed by the competition committee (still need owner approval)

Rule change proposals:

1. Move the kickoff to the 40-yard line.

2. Expand instant replay to include personal foul penalties.

3. Eliminate overtime in the preseason.

4. Extend the goal posts an additional five feet above the cross bar.

5. Move the line of scrimmage for one-point extra point kicks to the defensive team’s 25-yard line. Two-point conversion attempts would still be snapped from the 2-yard line.

6. Put six cameras on all boundary lines — sideline, goal line, end line, to guarantee coverage for replay reviews.

7. Permit a coach to challenge any official’s decision, except scoring plays which are automatically reviewed.

8. Protect players from getting the sides of their legs rolled up on — the rule already says a blocker can’t hit an opponent in the back of the legs, this proposal will add “or side” to the rule.

9. Allow the referee to consult with members of the NFL officiating department during replay reviews. The referee would be able to speak with the command center in New York to help in reviewing a play.

10. Re-organize the rules about what can be reviewed and what cannot be reviewed, including making the recovery of a loose ball in the field of play reviewable. (This is referred to as the NaVorro Bowman rule, after a controversial call in the NFC Championship Game.)

11. Don’t stop the clock on a sack.

12. Modify pass interference so that it can be called within one yard of the line of scrimmage.

13. Enforce defensive fouls behind the line of scrimmage from the previous spot, rather than from the end of the run or from the spot of the foul.

Bylaw proposals:

1. Raise the number of active players on game day from 46 to 49 for regular-season games played on a day other than Sunday or Monday, excluding Week One.

2. Raise the practice squad limit from eight players to 10 players.

3. Permit clubs to trade players prior to the start of the league year.

4. Eliminate the cut-down to 75 players during training camp and instead just have one cut-down from 90 players to 53 players.

5. Permit more than one player to return to the active list from injured reserve so that any player on injured reserve could return after six weeks.

6. Permit each club to time and test up to 10 draft-eligible players at its facility, and allow any club that wishes to attend timing and testing at another team’s facility.

7. Adjust the time of the roster reduction from 53 after the fourth preseason game from 6 p.m. Eastern to 4 p.m. Eastern. All teams would have to have their list of final cuts in by 4 p.m.

Resolution proposal:

1. Permit a home team with a retractable roof to open or close its roof at halftime, instead of having to determine at the start of the game whether it is open or closed.

5. Move the line of scrimmage for one-point extra point kicks to the defensive team’s 25-yard line. Two-point conversion attempts would still be snapped from the 2-yard line.

Um...

That's the Pats proposal of basically making the extra point a 43 yard FG

I enjoy that the Skins are the ones who proposed moving the kickoff up to the 40. WE SUCK AT RETURNS SO NO MORE RETURNS!!! PLAYER SAFETY!!! YEAH THAT'S OUR EXCUSE!!!!

10. Re-organize the rules about what can be reviewed and what cannot be reviewed, including making the recovery of a loose ball in the field of play reviewable. (This is referred to as the NaVorro Bowman rule, after a controversial call in the NFC Championship Game.)

This pretty much has to pass right?  That Bowman play, that wasn't reviewable, was probably the worst call I've ever seen. The NFL dodged a bullet when Seattle fumbled on the next play.

My um had a bit more to do with having the 2-point still being at the 2

Why did you think they were going to move the spot of the 2 point conversion?

• Like 1

Hell, if that's what they want to do with PATs, then go the NFL Europe route and make 50+ yard field goals worth 4 points.

Or get rid of the goal posts and set up giant targets with more points towards the bull's eye.

• Like 1