DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

I hear what everyone is saying, but it is a rule that only applies to 1% of the players and is somehow exempt to the owners who cut or trade players.  There are a bunch of DeMarcus Ware jersey's out there not paid for, but I don't see Jerry coming out of pocket for them.  If the issue is that all obsolete numbers need to be paid for, why doesn't the rule apply to everyone?  That is probably something the union should bring up. 

There's a huge difference between a team cutting an aging veteran because you don't think he's worth his price tag anymore, and a guy who decides changing the number on his shirt is important enough to cause a loss of a bunch of money on merchandise that's now unsellable. It's not like they banned changing numbers altogether so if it really IS that important then they can still do it.

It could also be the Shield seeing what was happening in other sports and not wanting players changing numbers every few years just to keep the money from sales coming in. Like how Kobe changed his number for no reason other then he dropped out of the top 10 in sales cause everyone already had a Kobe 8 Lakers Jersey

RE: Irsay.

This is America. No shock he's getting off light, he's a white millionaire. It sucks but it's not surprising.

What IS surprising is that noted disciplinarian Roger Goodell hasn't dropped a Conduct Detrimental to the NFL bomb on him. By surprising, I mean hypocritical and absurd. But hey, Richard Sherman gets overly excited. And Jimmy Graham broke a goal post. These things are both way worse for the Shield.

Ray Rice punched his girlfriend out and dragged her unconscious body from a elevator.  What is this country coming to???

the same country but with cameras everywhere?

You missed my sarcasm there friend

www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/04/06/jim-irsay-colts-owner-troubles-beyond-march-arrest/7382055/

Irsay's troubles continue

A sports law and ethics expert, as well as a source familiar with NFL operations, toldThe Indianapolis Star that the policy could lead Goodell to also ask about Irsay's relationship and associations outside of the Colts, including with an Indianapolis woman with a drug history of her own — a woman who died of a suspected drug overdose two weeks before Irsay's arrest. Her body was found in a $139,500 townhouse Irsay gave her last August.

"The NFL is often criticized for protecting the 'shield,' and it does," said Mike Gilleran, executive director of the Santa Clara University Institute of Sports Law and Ethics. "How does the league look if it ignores that? It can't, in my view."

The issue is Irsay bought the townhouse through a trust overseen by Colts executives. That in itself isn't illegal, because he's the Colts' sole owner.  He can do what he wants with his team's money.  But if he listed the purchase as a business expense--big problem.

The trust appears to be some sort of peronal entity in which he channels money, so maybe Irsay squeezes by on that technicality.  Still, it looks bad when 86% of Lucas Oil Stadium was financed by the city of Indianapolis and he's giving his fellow crackhead a townhouse.

Connecting the dots, Irsay and the woman were clearly drug buddies.  Maybe she was Irsay's mistress. But there's no indication that he had anything to do with her death.  Which is good, but doesn't account for the fuck-up The Shield has on its hands because of him.

My guess is that Irsay doesn't ever regain control of the team.  His daughter Carlie will continue to run things.

Are people still mad about Michael Vick?  Seriously he went to prison, paid his debt to society, and then started doing work to stop the continuence of the crimes that he commited.  Is he not allowed to have a job anymore?  I don't get what more people could possibly want from the guy.

• Like 1

He handled that situation great here. Didn't avoid answering when asked. Was open and honest about it and never showed a sense of entitlement. I clearly remember a story when Favre was on the Jets. It jumped out at the time since it followed the Vick story and was a good reminder of how hypocritical people act at times. Favre being one of the boys playing a prank on one of the guys on the team by putting a deer he killed in the guys locker as a prank. Yeah killing deer is legal so the double standard isn't surprising but the timing was awful.

Are people going to fight this hard to keep Ray Rice off the field?  If not, well, fuck off.

It really shows what people actually care about, and it sure ain't people especially if they have vaginas or different colored skin.  You knock a woman out in public and everyone lets it slide.  You want to name your team a racial epithet?  Go ahead, those people should be happy you even thought of them.  You own the team and get caught with a bunch of drugs and cash in a laundry bag, don't worry we won't hold it against you...but if you might have a friend in a gang, you have to get the fuck out.  Oh, you fought some dogs, went to jail, and then did every thing in your power to make amends for your crimes?  So what we don't think you should ever get another job. 

I don't expect people to be infallible.  People are inherently flawed, but if someone goes above and beyond to make amends for their flaws we should forgive them.  Odds are one day we all will fuck up, some big, some small, but if we can't forgive people what the fuck is the point.  

• Like 2

For me, it's not about forgiveness so much as being consistent.  I'm asking for too much, I realize.  If someone wants to hate Vick through infinity, so be it.  But you better be ready to hate all the women beaters, rapists, drunks, gangbangers, deadbeat dads, and all-around assholes that permeate through the league.

But it's hard to hate everyone.  So why hate anyone?  Why judge any of them?  As a Colts fan, I certainly don't like that Irsay is off the wagon again.  But I understand why others are looking at him sideways.  I'm doing the same thing to a degree.

The hypocrisy on top of hypocrisy is what gets me.

I'm too young to remember but did people picket and petition this much about Leonard Little?

I don't remember the specifics, but I seem to recall that Little got off really light; not a 100 percent on that though. . . 

I'm too young to remember but did people picket and petition this much about Leonard Little?

I'd say he got maybe 1/16 the pickets and petitions, and that dude clearly didn't learn his lesson after killing people.  He even won the Ed Block Courage award after getting another DUI after killing that lady.

People would rather be outraged than look in the mirror, sadly. Infidelity, drunkenness, abuse and assault are things that most fans have done/could see themselves doing. Dog fighting and being a gang member are foreign, so we rally against them.

In the learn something new category

I often wondered why it seemed the Giants and Pats always played the 4th game of the preseason against each other.

Turns out that the NFL only schedules the first 3 games of the preseason. The 4th game is left up to the teams based on proximity and the fact that it can't be an opponent who is regularly on the schedule. Hence why you see so many AFC vs. NFC games (and thus the Giants vs. Pats)

Anyway - NFL released the preseason games

• Like 1

In the learn something new category

I often wondered why it seemed the Giants and Pats always played the 4th game of the preseason against each other.

Turns out that the NFL only schedules the first 3 games of the preseason. The 4th game is left up to the teams based on proximity and the fact that it can't be an opponent who is regularly on the schedule. Hence why you see so many AFC vs. NFC games (and thus the Giants vs. Pats)

Anyway - NFL released the preseason games

Cool bit of info there man. I too have wondered why the Eagles play the Jets every preseason...