DVDVR Message Board

TNA Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 1/2

*Taped for Xplosion: Samoa Joe def. Kazarian after the Muscle Buster

TNA Impact Wrestling - Airing January 2, 2014 from Orlando ,FL

*Kurt Angle came to the ring for a promo. Angle declared 2013 as the worst year of his career between Aces & Eights and his personal problems. Angle says he declined the Hall of Fame to prove that he could earn it back as a world class athlete. He said people call him a cyborg but he was not that in 2013. Bobby Roode interrupts and asks if we're about to see what he thinks. Roode asks if Angle is going to walk away like Hardy and if he realized he just doesn't have what it takes anymore. Roode says if he is, he wants Kurt to admit that Roode is better than him. Angle tells him he's not leaving and he's going to kick his ass in 2014. Angle challenges Roode to one more match. Roode asks if he's crazy and says no. Roode says he has nothing to prove to Angle or the fans as he already proved to be the better man and proven that Kurt is not Hall of Fame worthy. Roode goes to leave but stops and accepts under the stipulation that if Roode wins, Kurt will leave TNA and never accept a HOF induction from TNA. Angle makes it a Steel Cage Match and they make it official for Genesis in 2 weeks. They get into a brawl until Rockstar Spud and officials break it up. Angle shoves Spud over. Spud says they will not ruin Dixie's night and tells them both to find partners for a tag match tonight.

*Gail Kim and Lei'D Tapa came out for Gail's open challenge. Gail said a brand new year brings a brand new open challenge. She said after a dominant year, she hoped for more competition.

*Madison Rayne def. Gail Kim (w/ Lei'D Tapa) with a rollup

*Samuel Shaw def. Norv Fernum via standing side choke submission

*Ethan Carter III came to the ring with a mic. EC3 said he's been against the toughest competition and talked about pinning Sting last week. He mentioned Hardy leaving and said this week he issued a challenge to Hardy. EC3 had Hardy's music play but he did not come out so he ordered a countout victory. The count got to 9 when Sting arrived. They exchanged words. Sting challenged Ethan to not be Dixie's lapdog and be a man. EC3 bailed. Sting said he proved him right. EC3 then agreed to face Sting one on one at Genesis in two weeks.

*Chris Sabin (w/ Velvet Sky) def. Austin Aries to win back the X Division title for the 8th time with a low blow and small package after Velvet hesitantly distracted the ref. After the match, Jeremy Borash interviews Sabin who says he couldn't have done it without one person; himself. Sabin thanks himself and leaves with Velvet.

*Backstage, Kurt Angle asked Gunner to be his tag team partner tonight. James Storm walked by and was not thrilled. Storm said things were about to get interesting. Gunner walked on until he was stopped by Jeremy Borash, who asked what if Roode picks Storm as his partner? Gunner repeated that things were about to get interesting.

*Joseph Park def. Bully Ray via DQ when Bully low blowed Park at the start. After the match, Bully sprayed Park with lighter fluid and pulled out a lighter but Mr. Anderson ran out for the save. Bully sprayed Anderson with the fluid and left as refs tended to Park.

*Bobby Roode & James Storm def. Kurt Angle & Gunner when Roode pinned Gunner after the death valley driver following the Last Call from Storm. After the match, Angle chased Roode off while Storm laid Gunner's briefcase on top of him.

*The Coronation of Magnus is up. The ring has plants, British flags, a wreath, and a throne. Ethan Carter III and Rockstar Spud came to the ring. Spud says he was honored to be the spokesperson for the Carter kingdom. He says tonight history will be made and puts over the importance of it. Spud calls Dixieland a place where dreams come true. Spud introduced EC3 as the master of ceremonies. EC3 says all the power lies with the 1%. EC3 says he's undefeated and last week he pinned Sting clean in the middle. EC3 put over Magnus as becoming the champion who now rules the world. He says behind every great king is a woman, their queen, and introduces Dixie. Dixie tells a story of a UK magazine having an article on AJ Styles and then turning the page to a six page article on Magnus that blew her away. She says Magnus has it all and introduces him. Magnus came out in a suit with the title and sits on the throne with a mic. Magnus thanks everyone for their words and says Dixie is the wind beneath his massive wings. Magnus claims to be honored and humbled as champion then goes on to say that everyone doubted him and the fans turned their backs on him. Magnus says he'll never take a backseat to anyone again. He intends to be champion for a very long time. Gunner comes out to cash in. Gunner says tonight history begins. He said 13 days isn't much of a reign and he's pissed off from Storm's superkick earlier. Gunner wants to cash in now but Dixie says no. Gunner lays out EC3 and Spud and goes after Magnus but falls to the three on one attack. EC3 & Spud hold Gunner up and Magnus lays him out with the world title. AJ Styles then runs out through the crowd with his TNA world title and knocks EC3 and Spud out of the ring. Styles and Magnus stare down holding up their titles. Styles says if Dixie wants her property, it's here with him. Styles says she can call off the lawyers because he's here face to face. Styles says he won't just hand the title over. Styles says he came back because it's screwing over the people to have a farce as a champion. Styles says Magnus is not the champion until he beats the champion. Magnus asks if that's a challenge. AJ says he didn't come to play tickle butt. Styles says there are two belts but only one can be TNA World Heavyweight Champion. Styles asks if Magnus is going to listen to the money mark. Styles says he knows that Magnus knows he has to accept if he's a champion. AJ says people doubt he was ever a champion anyway but if he doesn't accept then he will doubt himself. Styles says the deal is on the table but if he leaves then the offer goes with him. Dixie tries to stop Magnus but Magnus says AJ isn't better than him and he'll prove it one on one for both belts. Dixie tries to say it won't happen but Magnus says he's done if it doesn't happen. Magnus says nobody will doubt him or his title reign ever again. Dixie questions the risk and brings up AJ still not having a contract. Magnus tells her to give him a one night contract, winner take all. Dixie worries that if Magnus loses then she will have nothing. Magnus says he's feeling lucky. They agree to the match for next week and have a staredown with both holding their titles.

Beer! Money!

I submitted like a 3-month build to get to Magnus vs. Styles on PPV that was integrated full of social media/viral marketing as well as a plan to drive traffic to their website/online shop so they could actually monetize the match past just PPV buys.

And they just blew through everything in less than an hour just so they can give away their only money match on free TV.

I'm never going to develop any potential passion for TNA like this.

So much about TNA is frustrating.  I think wrestling fans really want an alternative to WWE that they can support, but TNA keeps trying to be another WWE instead of being a true ALTERNATIVE.  At one point they had a stronger tag team division, a legitimate X-Division, and a DIFFERENT women's division among other things.

Now?  WWE has the better tag division.  "Smaller guys" like Bryan and Punk are getting more of a chance to shine in WWE(with Aries being a rare recent exception in TNA after Kenny King's fifteen minutes fizzled out).  WWE has enough of a women's division to fill out a twelve-woman tag match with developmental gals to spare on top of that.  On top of that, we're stuck with the same evil boss storyline no matter which way we turn.

The talent is there but so much of the product is just...a mess.

I submitted like a 3-month build to get to Magnus vs. Styles on PPV that was integrated full of social media/viral marketing as well as a plan to drive traffic to their website/online shop so they could actually monetize the match past just PPV buys.

And they just blew through everything in less than an hour just so they can give away their only money match on free TV.

But you can't blame the writers when what happened wasn't an angle, it was a real-life situation. I mean, AJ called her a "money mark". That has to be real.

• 4 weeks later...

The first hour was full of great stuff, while the second was full of a lot of stuff that wasn't too great. I loved the Beer Money reunion and parts of the coronation, but they took for-ever to get that thing moving along. It also seems really odd to do the title unification match on next week's show instead of the "free PPV on Spike" show that would in theory mean more.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/01/tna-impact-1-2-14.html

Screens -

5cec46298567728.jpg

e553ae298557652.jpg

4e6930298557680.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/8wsvr7aiqnl9madfvpb1fgigtxuyk1ns

The Bully Ray segment just reeked of bullshit and may have been the stupidest thing I've ever seen on a wrestling TV show. ROH doing something similar last year was bad enough, but this version made that one look like the Freebirds slamming the cage door in comparison.

TNA in the last month has gone full WCW mode with the stipulation matches, clusterfuck run-ins, and title changes all over the place.   Who in the world is booking this company now?

Dave Lagana, and "Big" John Gaburick (of Tough Enough fame) is in charge.

Man, I wish WWE would give Samuel Shaw a try-out. I may be insane but he has a pretty good gimmick and is passable in the ring. He's a little Orton-esque but with some decent training, he could be something.

EDIT: Also that little "Shhhhh" he does when he applies the choke is awesome. Bring this guy in as the Wyatt's big city cousin ala Patrick Bateman.

The Bully Ray segment just reeked of bullshit and may have been the stupidest thing I've ever seen on a wrestling TV show. ROH doing something similar last year was bad enough, but this version made that one look like the Freebirds slamming the cage door in comparison.

It was pretty much amazing, I thought.  This whole build-up to "Will Joseph Park turn into Abyss or won't he?" ended with a kick in the balls.  Then Bully sprays lighter fluid all over him, Park rolls around in the ring for a while, not leaving even though he's about to be set on fire until he gets lighter fluid in the eyes.  Then Anderson comes out with this ridiculous gangly-looking angry strut, runs into the ring and gets shot in the eyes with lighter fluid, then does an amazing angry face with one eye closed and, as mentioned, doesn't think to blow out the flame of the lighter.

I had the show on in the background while watching CWF Mid Atlantic but the final segment really impressed me. That was the first time Magnus really looked like a champion. Dixie tried her best to ruin it with her shitty acting but Magnus and AJ did a good job I thought

3 months? TNA doesn't have that kind of time.

I have an idea to make Impact watchable: hire Colt Cabana and Marty Derosa as commentators and make Freight Train the champ (as a bonus replace Dixie with Jake Manning as lead heel authority figure).

I have an idea to make Impact watchable: hire Colt Cabana and Marty Derosa as commentators and make Freight Train the champ (as a bonus replace Dixie with Jake Manning as lead heel authority figure).

TNA can't afford $5 Wrestling.

3 months? TNA doesn't have that kind of time.

Got any other recycled 2002 jokes?

I just find it funny that on my twitter page I see TNA hyping the Magnus vs AJ title match while above and below it is indy companies plugging their appearances of AJ Styles in the next month.  Tells you how long as these spoilers were done.  :lol: