DVDVR Message Board

April 2024 Wrestling Talk

On 4/27/2024 at 9:27 AM, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Except the commissioner FLIPS OUT and threatens to shut the show down.

I worked a few NWA shows in the Richmond area for Rick O'Brien around this time.  I remember on one show the commissioner was giving a speech to the lockerroom before the show, and said if the match got too stiff and started to look like a shoot, he would shut the show down and fine everyone.  This worried me a bit, because I was basically doing a Russian MMA fighter gimmick, with the shooter gloves and all...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

...but Rocky's not on the cover anywhere?

If you really want to go old school for a VHS cover, you have to have it not totally match the actual card since it was put into print months before the show!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, SovietShooter said:

I worked a few NWA shows in the Richmond area for Rick O'Brien around this time.  I remember on one show the commissioner was giving a speech to the lockerroom before the show, and said if the match got too stiff and started to look like a shoot, he would shut the show down and fine everyone.  This worried me a bit, because I was basically doing a Russian MMA fighter gimmick, with the shooter gloves and all...

It boggles my mind why an "athletic commission" would be worried that a match looked too much like an athletic contest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I squint,I could make an argument that a wrestler is not expecting a shoot, so if one of the people goes into business for themselves, they are endangering the other person in the match. But that’s maybe at best straining.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zHKPLBpa0gw

The infamous Sabu vs. Sandman match from ECW November to Remember 1997. One of the worst wrestling matches ever.

Sabu has said in interviews that Sandman was tripping on acid during the match to the point he was hallucinating that Sabu was actually a giant lizard. The show itself was largely bad in part because guys were passing around acid backstage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, SovietShooter said:

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

It boggles my mind why an "athletic commission" would be worried that a match looked too much like an athletic contest.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

If I squint,I could make an argument that a wrestler is not expecting a shoot, so if one of the people goes into business for themselves, they are endangering the other person in the match. But that’s maybe at best straining.

I went and I looked up the old license fees in Virginia. Licensing a MMA event was $1,500 in 2006, licensing a wrestling show was $125. (Hilariously, it's the same thing now, so licensing in Virginia is inflation-proof.) I think they covered a doctor for MMA shows, but it wasn't required for wrestling, so that would explain the higher charge. If an unscrupulous MMA promoter wanted to get around having to pay for doctors and extra licensing, license as a wrestling show and just say "oh my guys work stiff".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Sabu has said in interviews that Sandman was tripping on acid during the match to the point he was hallucinating that Sabu was actually a giant lizard. The show itself was largely bad in part because guys were passing around acid backstage.

I desperately hope there is a re-enactment of this on the next DSOTR episode.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I desperately hope there is a re-enactment of this on the next DSOTR episode.

They spent the budget on the giant spiders in the Chris Colt episode. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

So none of them remembered...

1 hour ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

I think they covered a doctor for MMA shows, but it wasn't required for wrestling, so that would explain the higher charge. If an unscrupulous MMA promoter wanted to get around having to pay for doctors and extra licensing, license as a wrestling show and just say "oh my guys work stiff".

Although this is probably the correct line of thinking, the commission was also very strict about brawling outside the ring, weapons and/or any kind of "extreme" wrestling, and über strict about any kind of blood. At that time, if there was even a hint of a trickle of blood coming out of a nose, you had *two moves* to end the match.

So, I think like many athletic commissions that had to oversee wrestling as well as boxing/MMA, they were strict so that there were less shows, so they just didn't have to deal with it.

From experience, at that time (the '00s) VA & MD had the strictest commissions that I dealt with. NY just checked your ID and took your blood pressure. PA had strict rules for promoters regarding licenses, registering shows, and ringside docs, but at the end of he day the fees from wrestling went to fund boxing.  Ohio had a commission that didn't want to deal with wrestling, so as long as a promoter had a license & bond anything was fair game.  But if there was any kind of incident, then they would step in and pull a license or something (which I think happened to HWA when Cody Hawk punched a fan or something). 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SovietShooter said:

Although this is probably the correct line of thinking, the commission was also very strict about brawling outside the ring, weapons and/or any kind of "extreme" wrestling, and über strict about any kind of blood. At that time, if there was even a hint of a trickle of blood coming out of a nose, you had *two moves* to end the match.

So, I think like many athletic commissions that had to oversee wrestling as well as boxing/MMA, they were strict so that there were less shows, so they just didn't have to deal with it.

From experience, at that time (the '00s) VA & MD had the strictest commissions that I dealt with. NY just checked your ID and took your blood pressure. PA had strict rules for promoters regarding licenses, registering shows, and ringside docs, but at the end of he day the fees from wrestling went to fund boxing.  Ohio had a commission that didn't want to deal with wrestling, so as long as a promoter had a license & bond anything was fair game.  But if there was any kind of incident, then they would step in and pull a license or something (which I think happened to HWA when Cody Hawk punched a fan or something). 

Yep, I remember the two move rule. I remember when I was doing ring announcing, I was once stopped from announcing because I wasn't licensed as a wrestler.

Think about that from a moment.

The commissioner was like "well, if you get into the ring, they might do something with you, and you need to be licensed for that".

Like my dude, I'm just there to say the names and the weights and the hometowns. What are you talking about?

Eventually we agreed to let me ring announce from a table outside a ring barricade but sheesh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Yep, I remember the two move rule. I remember when I was doing ring announcing, I was once stopped from announcing because I wasn't licensed as a wrestler.

You're starting to make me think that I maybe worked this show...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zendragon said:

May be an image of 6 people and text that says 'The Biggest event of 2024 00 2 B6635 * '97 GOUSEUA UNDEO '97 Biggest event ANR Championship Match! ROMAN REIGHS- COOY ODYRHODES RHEARIP HAMPIOMSHIP! BECKYE LOGAN RANBY ANIA HAMPIONSHIP! KEVINOWENS SUR-PACKLAQDERMATCHI PLUS EЛT TAGTEAMM Mw/TapTe-4 SEUEODUO ИИCИTE MAXHKaAΟИ Mintercontinenta gLTitle Hatch! GUNTHER 45-5 -SAM AMIZA MANREIGVS SETWBOLINS LO-FI VHS FEATURING BOMAN COBY SHOBES Lick's got nothelng to do with It! ี PEROT NALOG WRESTLE ANIA 40 KIND ARRIVAL "" "'

6 hours ago, Log said:

If you really want to go old school for a VHS cover, you have to have it not totally match the actual card since it was put into print months before the show!

Those of us who lived through the VHS era know that this needs to be on four tapes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Kick wham stunner

That’s three moves. 

I had to get a license to do ringside camera in Kentucky. I shot for a while without it and all was fine, so not sure how strict they are. I do know the KY commission is extremely strict about blood. Before a show I heard wrestlers being instructed that if they even popped a pimple in the ring, that was too much. I think it goes back to some Ian Rotten shit. 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Log said:

I do know the KY commission is extremely strict about blood.

I never worked in KY, so I never had to get a license or anything there, but I've always heard that they are all about revenue, and make it hard to run there. With that said, Roger Ruffen has been running NWF in NKY for decades, and as far as I am aware they usually stay pretty far away from hardcore type stuff.

I know Rotten burned a lot of venues with the hardcore stuff, but Cornette helped get them pushed out of armories and such; I always was under the impression that (via OVW) Cornette & Davis were more than happy to "help" the commission to eliminate competition.

• Like 4

Darby Allin is currently in the hospital after

*checks notes*

Says here getting hit by a bus in New York.

Dude would have 100% died on Everest.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Log said:

That’s three moves. 

If I remember Virginia's two move rule right, the second move was the pinfall. So whatever the first move was, it better have been enough to pin someone.

(At least, that's IF I remember right. My memory is hazy. But I remember someone getting their license suspended for doing two moves plus a pinfall while bleeding, and the reason was that he did three moves since the pinfall was a "move".)

16 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Darby Allin is currently in the hospital after

*checks notes*

Says here getting hit by a bus in New York.

Dude would have 100% died on Everest.

Dude got run over by a fucking bus and lived, I don't think he can be killed.

• Like 1