DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2024 Wrestling Talk

6 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

It reads to me more like they let themselves enjoy the show rather than be lost to analysis. There's something to be said for people who can be lost in the moment.

Excellent point - and that's why I wanted to really emphasize that I didn't intend for it to be a put-down of any kind; everyone here could probably learn a thing or two from them (myself included)

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

I deleted all of my social media a year or so ago because I got tired of the massive scope of it all, and the thought of how people's behaviors were grating on me. Whenever I read something like "I want to read X from you, not Y", it's like... okay, but you don't have to read them at all. That's their life. They can live it how they choose. And in the same capacity, I can step away from it.

I think I mentioned before that I had a decent amount of followers on social media due to my past life, and it was untenable for me. Once you hit five digits on the follower count, it's absolutely unworkable. "Don't tweet about this, tweet about that!" Like because you watched me on a thing, you're entitled to tell me what to talk about? So weird.

I had friends who said it was more difficult to keep track of me without social media, but my phone doesn't just work when I text them, they can initiate the conversation. And if you didn't have my number, hey, you must not have been that close with me in the first place. It really helped to narrow who actually was interested in/important to my life and who was just there out of convenience/clout for said past life.

Nowadays I have a locked Twitter account that I use just to follow my niche interests, I don't respond to anything, I block engagement farmers and paid shills, and aside from my private discord for friends and family and a couple of group chats, that's all I really use.

And, real talk? Never been happier with my internet usage.

• Like 10

That’s a good point. I try to find a balance, enjoy it in the moment and think about it more afterward

9 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Excellent point - and that's why I wanted to really emphasize that I didn't intend for it to be a put-down of any kind; everyone here could probably learn a thing or two from them (myself included)

• Like 1

It was posted in the MMA thread but Mark Coleman wrestled In Japan in the early aughts. For those of you that don’t know Coleman is in the hospital battling smoke inhalation after saving his parents from a house fire. https://www.essentiallysports.com/ufc-mma-news-breaking-ufc-hall-of-famer-mark-coleman-admitted-to-hospital-after-saving-parents-from-fire/

Edited by WebConn89
  • Sad 3

45 minutes ago, WebConn89 said:

It was posted in the MMA thread but Mark Coleman wrestled In Japan in the early aughts. For those of you that don’t know Coleman is in the hospital battling smoke inhalation after saving his parents from a house fire. https://www.essentiallysports.com/ufc-mma-news-breaking-ufc-hall-of-famer-mark-coleman-admitted-to-hospital-after-saving-parents-from-fire/

Terrible news, and I hope he pulls through - I also feel like a giant, giant ass right now, because this is how I learned I've been confusing Coleman with Ron "H²O" Waterman for 20+ years since catching him wrestle pre-TV Randy Orton at a WWF house show as a teenager

10 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Has the recent surge of WWE success led to an influx of children infilrating online wrestling discussion? Is the continued practice of less moderation inviting negative actors to create abad takes -> more arguments -> more clicks reaching a saturation point? Does the wrestling I like suck now? Am I just terribly depressed?

Why does talking about wrestling on the internet suck more now that it ever has? This board doesn't even feel right. I just don't want to do it. I think of conversations worth starting, or matches worth sharing,, and then I consider the effort that it would take to post them *anywhere* and then I don't.

Hey bud if this is more than just an IWC thing always remember you're never alone and it's never as bad as it seems. If you need help dial 988 or text HOME to 741741.

Depression already sucks, don't let it swallow you too!

• Like 1

Here's a face book tip. Let's say you have a crazy uncle frank who just won't shut up about vaccine conspiracies. There's an option to unfollow him but keep him in your friends list so his nonsense doesn't show up in your feed and lead to arguments 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Another point on this, that I am going to try and put as delicately as possible: WWE's international reach growing even more over the last decade means that a lot of social media and comment sections are also now teeming with audiences from around the world who may not be entirely familiar with the fictional nature of what they are seeing.

Lol, the old DVDVR standby “WWE fans aren’t as smart as me.”  Must be a month since I’ve seen this trotted out.  

Edited by Villanova Grad

3 minutes ago, Villanova Grad said:

Lol, the old DVDVR standby “WWE fans aren’t as smart of me.”  Must be a month since I’ve seen this trotted out.  

As smart *as*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Villanova University is just two letters away from “Villano University,” which I’m sure is a much better institution.

There's at least five Villanos that have worked in pro wrestling, haven't seen any Villanovas. The math checks out.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

30 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

There's at least five Villanos that have worked in pro wrestling, haven't seen any Villanovas. The math checks out.

Mike Bucci's wiki entry is about to get changed. 

BRB

• Haha 1

But seriously, Villano University sounds like one of those non conference opponents that a SWAC basketball program would schedule like when the Grambling women's team beat the College of Biblical Studies 159 to 18 earlier this year.

It could be a school or a money laundering scheme.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WebConn89 said:

Is Villano University where Mike Tenay was a professor at?

If it wasn’t for Mike Tenay’s helpful Nitro segments on lucha, I’d never have figured out that “rudo” meant “rude” and “technico” meant “technical”.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

If it wasn’t for Mike Tenay’s helpful Nitro segments on lucha, I’d never have figured out that “rudo” meant “rude” and “technico” meant “technical”.

Shout out for repping scrapple!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

But seriously, Villano University sounds like one of those non conference opponents that a SWAC basketball program would schedule like when the Grambling women's team beat the College of Biblical Studies 159 to 18 earlier this year.

It could be a school or a money laundering scheme.

That's exactly what I'd expect out of the Villanos, personally! Those nefarious scoundrels!

• Like 1