DVDVR Message Board

2024 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

More proof in how dumb the combine is:  apparently Tom Brady ran a faster 40 this year than the year he was drafted.  Unless he has been hanging out with Frank Thomas and Doug Fiutie recently, something is fishy

Brady is actually in shape now versus his own combine.  He probably hadn't run 40 yards TOTAL during his senior year at Michigan.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The funny part is the UFL is not using the XFL kick off method but is going back to a more traditional version. No idea why, I think the XFL method both cuts down on injuries and is interesting/encouraged returns.

I do like that it encourages returns but won't teams just continue to bomb it out of the back of the end zone?

Also, how do onside kicks work?

3 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I do like that it encourages returns but won't teams just continue to bomb it out of the back of the end zone?

Also, how do onside kicks work?

With the XFL, if a ball was kicked directly into/out of the end zone the return team got it on the 35 to discourage it. Maybe the "onsides kick" would take the same rule as the XFL, which was having to make a 15 yard offensive play. Admittedly I'm not a big a fan of that but they did have the rule you could only do it in some situations so teams didn't just do an "onsides kick" after after score.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Commanders having a decent fire sale now getting rid of their 4th, 6th, and 7th highest paid guys today

None of which are a surprise.  Leno and Gates were bad and Logan Thomas was getting too old to be a serviceable TE.

On 2/29/2024 at 6:23 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

With the XFL, if a ball was kicked directly into/out of the end zone the return team got it on the 35 to discourage it. Maybe the "onsides kick" would take the same rule as the XFL, which was having to make a 15 yard offensive play. Admittedly I'm not a big a fan of that but they did have the rule you could only do it in some situations so teams didn't just do an "onsides kick" after after score.

Steal the rouge from the CFL, if you put the kickoff through the goalposts you keep the ball. That way 15 yard penalties “enforced on the kickoff” actually mean something

• Like 1

The rouge is getting a single point awarded if a punt or missed field goal gets kicked through the end zone, or downed in the end zone by the returning team. The team that conceded the point then gets the ball at the 40 yard line. There's no rule about kickoffs going through the uprights as far as I know.

• Like 1

Broncos and Russell Wilson are definitely parting ways as Wilson already posted a goodbye message to Broncos fans on social media

EDIT - the Broncos announced they will be releasing Wilson once the new league year starts on March 13

Russ signed a new five year deal when he was traded to Denver.

That deal was tacked onto the two remaining years of his Seahawks deal.

The first year of it would've started... March 13.

Add that and the dead money plus everything they traded to get him, and this is near "Walker to Minnesota" level bad.

• Like 3

I'm just sitting back, eating popcorn and enjoying it all. Can't stand the Broncos, can't stand Russ, can't stand Sean Payton so this is awesome for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lost in all the other news of yesterday - Mike Evans agreed to a new deal with the Bucs

Two years. $35 million guaranteed. Can max out at $52 million

• Like 1

The Bills traded OL Ryan Bates to the Bears for a 5th round pick

The irony is that the Bates had signed an offer sheet with the Bears two years ago but the Bills matched it

30 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also yesterday, Jason Kelce announced he will now be a full time podcaster.

That's good. There aren't enough white guys with beards who podcast.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

One of the Gaelic footballers trying out for teams was on Seconds Captains pod today discussing their audition process for teams, including having to explain to NFL coaches just what Gaelic football is. 

Miami released LB Jerome Baker for a cap savings of a little under $10m.   

He may come back on a restructured deal. 

Bills went scorched earth today, releasing Tre'Davious White (post-June 1st), Jordan Poyer, Mitch Morse, Siran Neal, Deonte Harty, and Nyheim Hines. While they were way over the cap, they didn't have to release all those players as there were other options (restructures mostly) to get compliant, so I assume this is the Bills making moves that won't just kick the can down the road so they aren't in cap hell every offseason. Or they will still do those restructures so they can go after some Free Agents they have their eye on.

32 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Should note, Damar Hamlin is now the only CB on the Billz roster. 

Rasul Douglas, Kaiir Elam, Taron Johnson, and Christian Bedford say 'sup'. Also, Hamlin is a safety. I'd expect you to know better the defense that held Tua to a 62 passer rating when the Dolphins just needed a win (or tie!) to capture the division 😉 

• Haha 2

I'm not happy of course with Von Miller's output since his injury but Miller had all the leverage as the Bills couldn't cut him this year without a massive cap hit. So him taking a pay cut with probably impossible incentives to fully meet is nice of him.

That pretty much gets the Bills back to even, without doing any major restructures or extensions (just a couple small ones that netted a few mil). Its a brutal business but they mostly cut players that were old, injury prone, old and injury prone, or ineffective. If they draft well and get a couple key FAs I don't expect a serious "Rams 2022"-like drop in productivity. Although admittedly I am concerned about the Center position.