DVDVR Message Board

2024 Joshi Discussion Thread

Stefanie Sparkleface

1 hour ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Joshi promotions close constantly.

I guess you shouldn't take that literally, I meant it more in the sense that they always splinter off into something else, or end up having revivals, or stars that start their own promotions... it's endless. This is probably influenced by me being knee deep in the Blood and Thunder second volume and seeing promotions as tiny as Pro Wrestling Crusaders limp on like zombies and respawn over and over. 

Well, in terms of Arsion tour names he recycled, he's already reused Stardom and Starlight (and I guess Startist would've been too on the nose so it was just "Artist"), so I guess that leaves Stargold and Starlet.

... I imagine he'll use new names.

He can recycle Virgin Tour now.

Well, in terms of Arsion tour names he recycled, he's already reused Stardom and Starlight (and I guess Startist would've been too on the nose so it was just "Artist"), so I guess that leaves Stargold and Starlet.

Blackstar (nobody tell the Bowie estate)

2 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Pro Wrestling Naamah. Named after Noah's wife.

• Haha 1

Ok this is starting to get more crazy. Tweet embedding is having a bad day so I'll just quote the tweet:

“The reason she (Giulia) is delaying her WWE start is so she could at least be there to kick off the (Rossy Ogawa) promotion for a while and get the promotion going, and then she is gonna end up with WWE at some point, But when WWE was interested in her, she basically gave (Ogawa) her word that she would help when he started out and that’s what she’s gonna do. She’s actually postponing her WWE debut because she gave him her word.” - Dave Meltzer (WOR)

I guess this new promotion situation is legit, based on what Dave and Rossy himself are saying. I wonder how many wrestlers will leave with him? Who is the financial backer and can they match/exceed the pay that the wrestlers are getting in Stardom? Will they have a TV or streaming deal? So many questions.

Let's see when they announce formally with a start date. I'm guessing we will know by mid-March who is taking off to join Rossy. At least with the NOAH sit we knew right away that Fuchi and Kawada were staying

James

Edited by J.H.

If Mei Seira writes "SLAVE" on her wrist tape, we will know where she stands on all this.

But seriously, if they are handing out legal notices to the talent, they are trying their best to quell a mutiny.

I do think a lot of people are looking at pre-Bushiroad Stardom with nostalgic glasses, forgetting how much people complained about the booking back then. All the complaints about the low level gaijin that Rossy insisted on using to toss at Io every tour, how he booked Toni Storm, not to mention the handling of the Act/Yoshiko incident. Stardom was very top heavy for a number of years with Io/Kairi/Mayu holding things up, I think the best years of Stardom as far as in-ring action goes top to bottom was 2020 to 2022. 

That's not to say the wrestler's complaints last year weren't legitimate, particularly with the travel schedule. And I certainly understand why wrestlers may feel more loyal to Rossy since he was there day to day and brought a lot of them in. But Bushiroad Stardom for the first couple years after the pandemic was generally pretty fantastic (Stardom was voted #2 promotion in the world in both 2021 and 2022 in the Observer), and I think with new management they can easily get back there, depending on which wrestlers leave. Maika sounds like she isn't leaving, I do wonder when it comes right down to the point how many leave. Any wrestlers that value money or visibility will likely stay as I just can't imagine Day 1 that Rossy has the financial backing to match Stardom's pay (whatever it may be). It may be a really interesting month.

• Like 1

I think the thing I'm most interested in seeing in a post-Rossy world is how relationships with other companies will go. Things became a little more open between Stardom and other groups once Bushiroad started exerting more control, so I wonder if those doors will open a little more.

A fully cooperative environment has always been best for joshi, so hopefully that happens. You could also see some pretty marked improvement with wrestlers on the bottom of the card if they can go work singles matches at smaller shows against more experienced talent for ten minutes than being a designated fall-taker in a six- or eight-woman tag that runs for seven minutes.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I do think a lot of people are looking at pre-Bushiroad Stardom with nostalgic glasses, forgetting how much people complained about the booking back then. All the complaints about the low level gaijin that Rossy insisted on using to toss at Io every tour, how he booked Toni Storm, not to mention the handling of the Act/Yoshiko incident. Stardom was very top heavy for a number of years with Io/Kairi/Mayu holding things up, I think the best years of Stardom as far as in-ring action goes top to bottom was 2020 to 2022. 

That's not to say the wrestler's complaints last year weren't legitimate, particularly with the travel schedule. And I certainly understand why wrestlers may feel more loyal to Rossy since he was there day to day and brought a lot of them in. But Bushiroad Stardom for the first couple years after the pandemic was generally pretty fantastic (Stardom was voted #2 promotion in the world in both 2021 and 2022 in the Observer), and I think with new management they can easily get back there, depending on which wrestlers leave. Maika sounds like she isn't leaving, I do wonder when it comes right down to the point how many leave. Any wrestlers that value money or visibility will likely stay as I just can't imagine Day 1 that Rossy has the financial backing to match Stardom's pay (whatever it may be). It may be a really interesting month.

Financial backing and a bunch of other things to consider when you start up a new wrestling promotion. If this was 2014 and not 2024, it might be a more doable thing. Guess what? You best believe Bushiroad is going to try to lock up the best talent they can when those deals are up. So some of those "Yes" and "Maybe" answers Rossy got while trying to poach talent are probably going to end up as "No, on second thought...". There is no assurance that what Rossy moves into will survive. 

If I'm Bushiroad, if any of the talent is interested in doing acting or singing I'm throwing that stuff into their contracts. "Hey, we can release a CD. Hey, we can get you a bit part as a voice actor. Whatever you want. MAIKA - THE MUSICAL. We can make it happen."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lostinube said:

If I'm Bushiroad, if any of the talent is interested in doing acting or singing I'm throwing that stuff into their contracts. "Hey, we can release a CD. Hey, we can get you a bit part as a voice actor. Whatever you want. MAIKA - THE MUSICAL. We can make it happen."

Mayu the musical stage show please!

Maika and Tam are staying with Stardom.  

Whatever happens, I think Stardom will finally crown their Ace. And someone will be the Ace of whatever Rossy's new promotion. Of course lot of the previous plans are aborted now.

Rossy won't have to worry about interference with his booking of the new promotion. 

Edited by Kang

I'm genuinely surprised by this. I always thought Rossy backed Tam and had faith in her. Mind you, Tam is a few years from retiring as I remember

Janes

I think this is going to go a lot like when Rossy left Zenjo to form Arsion. A big star (Aja Kong), a star on the cusp (Mariko Yoshida, and he tried to get Hikari Fukuoka but failed), and a few underutilized folks with potential who weren't going anywhere where they currently were (Yumi Fukawa, Rie Tamada, poaching Mikiko Futagami and Michiko Ohmukai from LLPW), then coaxing a fresh retirement who retired early back into the ring (Candy Okutsu, and he tried to get Sakie Hasegawa back into the ring). Throw in a handful of gaijin, et voila, new promotion.

So you can speculate who those could be, but he really doesn't need much, and it doesn't have to come from Stardom. He's absolutely going to try and land TJPW folks too.

• Like 1