DVDVR Message Board

2024 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The New Look

The new drama series from creator Todd A. Kessler is led by an ensemble cast that features Emmy Award winner Ben Mendelsohn as 'Christian Dior'; Academy Award winner Juliette Binoche as 'Coco Chanel'; Maisie Williams as 'Catherine Dior'; John Malkovich as 'Lucien Lelong'; Emily Mortimer as 'Elsa Lombardi' and Claes Bang as 'Spatz.'

I am also positive I saw Glenn Close in the trailer for a moment

The first episode of Night Country didn't really grab me, but the overall concept was interesting enough to keep me interested. After season 3 being overall solid I've got hope they aren't going to have another stinker like the second season.

Season 5 of Fargo is easily the best of the show's run and one of the better singular seasons of tv I can remember in a while. This was like a story Cormac McCarthy never wrote coupled with some of the irreverence you'd expect from the show.

• Like 2

I watched Monsiour Spade and Night Country back to back. I enjoyed both, and it was actually kinda wild how both of them had virtually the exact same episode structure. I wouldn’t have guessed beforehand that Spade would end on the far more disturbing murder tableau of the two, though.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 8:19 PM, hammerva said:

So it looks like they are doing a new  series on Peacock of TED only it is a prequel when they were younger.  Not looking promising based on commercials.   Also didn't help that the last one TED 2 wasn't good

The wife and I are two episodes in, and have been laughing our asses off.

I checked out the first episode of "After Midnight" on Paramount Plus this morning. I've become a big fan of Taylor Tomlinson from her Netflix specials. But, I don't see this sort of improv game show thing lasting too terribly long. Although, Whitney Cummings was absolutely hysterical!

I was out on After Midnight soon as I heard it was part game show. Fuck that shit. If I'm not gonna watch Barmageddon, I'm not gonna watch that. 

Go figure, the first woman on late night since Joan Rivers, and they set her up to fail. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was out on After Midnight soon as I heard it was part game show. Fuck that shit. If I'm not gonna watch Barmageddon, I'm not gonna watch that. 

Go figure, the first woman on late night since Joan Rivers, and they set her up to fail. 

The original version went for five years with that utter knobhead Chris Hardwick as host, so she'll probably get five months before people start panicking and blaming her for it.

19 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I thought it wasn't a reboot of @Midnight? Well, you're correct. I guess I will give it a shot, because I always liked that show, regardless of knobheadness.

Everything I've seen about it says it's a reboot of @midnight, and it's styled as "@fter midnight", so I was going on that, but I didn't pay much attention because I'm not up that late anyway and I didn't want to be haunted by the ghosts of knobhead past.

I'm up til Colbert so it's worth a shot here. I always liked the comedians they brought on. Ron Funches killed it every time. J. Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. (and the legendary Deep Wound!) showed up and surprisingly, that dude is hilarious. So, if they do a good enough job on that front, it'll be worth a shot. 

Speaking of worth a shots I guess I'm giving Night Country one. It doesn't impress me like Season One so far (not much would) and looks like it carries the same trope of feuding partners, one of whom is particularly an asshole, and we got another weird spiral to investigate. If it goes full Thing... ugh. But I'll wait. Nice to see John Hawkes again, who I'm sure has killed somebody in an awful way. 

TRUE DETECTIVE MOTHERFUCKERS!

The first episode of this season didn’t quite grab me in the way episode 1 of the first season did. I went back to watch that episode and the ending is so fucking cool that it would be very hard to replicate that. So my hope was on this season having a slow burn and getting progressively better and better.

Not only did episode 2 do just that, but…

Spoiler

It connects back to season 1!!! Fuck yeah! We finally got to see Travis Cohle, Rust’s dad. There was a mention of the Tuttles from season 1. More spirals. And this time, creepy shit with animal bones and creepy dolls. So maybe Rust wasn’t tripping balls at the end after all and there is a legit supernatural thing happening here. I don’t expect Rust to return and hell, this may be the where the connection to season 1 stops, but I do love what they’re doing.

And beyond that, this episode was creepy As fuck and fucked up. Christopher Eccleston has the weirdest “O” face ever. I’m trying to think if he ever made that same face in the Leftovers and I seem to recall he did.

One final thing, while watching it, my wife and I at the same time were like, is that Christopher Eccleston. Then I was basically positive it was. We then both checked his IMDB page and the page for TD: NC and he’s not credited on either. Kinda weird for him not to have a credit on this…

• Like 2

FEUD: Capote vs. The Swans

Set during the 1970s, Feud: Capote vs. Swans is based on Laurence Leamer’s bestselling book Capote’s Women: A True Story of Love, Betrayal, and a Swan Song for an Era. It revolves around the fall out between Capote and the six socialite women who originally considered him as a friend. It stars Tom Hollander as Truman Capote, Naomi Watts as Barbara “Babe” Paley, Diane Lane as Slim Keith, Chloë Sevigny as C.Z. Guest, Calista Flockhart as Lee Radziwill, Demi Moore as Ann “Bang-Bang” Woodward, Molly Ringwald as Joanne Carson, Treat Williams as Bill Paley, Joe Mantello as Jack Dunphy and Russell Tovey as John O’Shea.

The thing I'm wondering about with TD:NC is

Spoiler

why the Hell did the dead girl have that as a tattoo??  What sort of weird mind-virus vectoring bullshit is going on for someone who worked as a *midwife* to get mixed up in that before making her boyfriend crazier than a shithouse rat?

I was reminded by a Facebook Memory that Jen Kirkman was another very strong reason that I was such a fan of @ Midnight. Now apparently Milana Vayntrub is there in her stead so maybe I will be definitely be watching this show for pathetic and lonely reasons. 

• Like 1

Whoever mentioned the end of The Curse being totally unexpected on here made me look up what happened on Wiki, and once I read that I HAD to DVR the thing.

Spoiler

The show itself, I knew I couldn't watch it because I can't handle cringe humor for the most part, it just makes me too uncomfortable, and I'm pretty well fed up with protagonists being totally unlikable characters. This, however? I skipped ahead because surely the Rachel Ray part was like fingernails on a chalkboard but the good part had to be watched. The behavior of these people is so laughably irritating and sans logic. The stupidity of all the irrelevant and passive-aggressive comments and gripes, like "we have to get a different house for the baby"; meanwhile: my dude, gravity has reversed and you should be thinking of anything else more pertinent. The self-centered asshole friend who has to use his phone's voice capture to send a text, and makes sure to grab a mic and his buddy's drone camera for his TV show. It is definitely laden with much subtext and metaphor about childbirth, raising a family, building a home, long-term relationships, etc. that is already pretty screamingly obvious but I'd have to watch the show to reasonably dissect it. Even without full context though, it is really fuckin' funny. And god did it feel like that dude deserved to be sucked up into the stratosphere to freeze to death.

On 1/18/2024 at 8:43 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I'm a big fan of Taylor Tomlinson, and I just don't see this working out long term. It's a fun idea for a show, like a more modern version of Tosh.0. But CBS late night just doesn't seem like the right time or place, it's more of a 7PM on Comedy Central type of deal. And unless I missed something, CBS almost went out of their way to give the idea that After Midnight was going to be another version of the Late Late Show, rather than a quasi game show.

In the continuing story of Curt's Opinion on @fter Midnight (or whatever), I've actually been bothering to catch it after Colbert -- and not just because of Milana or some other fetching personality. I've gotten fully back into the swing of the show, which is basically a way for working comedians to come in, bust out some one-liners and make a payday while they get to pimp their current wares. It's fun. Plus a lot of the participants are regulars from the old show and it's good seeing them again. 

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

In the continuing story of Curt's Opinion on @fter Midnight (or whatever), I've actually been bothering to catch it after Colbert -- and not just because of Milana or some other fetching personality. I've gotten fully back into the swing of the show, which is basically a way for working comedians to come in, bust out some one-liners and make a payday while they get to pimp their current wares. It's fun. Plus a lot of the participants are regulars from the old show and it's good seeing them again. 

But if Chris Hardwick shows up, please throw something at the TV for me.

• Haha 1