DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm... not sure... if Okada is going to New York now.

But.... the Kabuki Warriors need a manager!  

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Sonny Onno is available 

I completely unironically now want a 2023 Sonny run where he's angry at not getting credit for inventing the selfie, and his new charge takes it out on the world.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
2024 I finally did it
  • Haha 2

yeah I doublechecked just in case there was a possibility that Taz was Arbereshe. In the spirit of the YouTube commenters who think John Cena is actually Albanian and not Italian due to the number of Albanian people in Southern Italy who would get counted as Italian at Ellis Island.

I don't know if I've typed this on here before but John Tenta really is a guy that if Mid-South had lasted just a little bit longer, Tenta probably gets to spend some time working there based off of his LSU experience

I could imagine John Tenta vs Dr. Death being a match that Bill Watts would want to run but those two were never in the same place for any real length of time.

Tenta did wrestle Dr. Death once.

In a 2002 Tag League match of Mike Rotundo and Dr. Death vs Tenryu and John Tenta. A match which went 6 minutes and is probably more of a novelty since all 4 of those guys were old by the time that November 29th, 2002 rolled around.

• Like 2

Randy Couture is old enough where he could have wrestled in college, graduated, and wrestled for Don Owen when Portland was still doing decent business. That's absurd that he was still fighting as of 2011. Instead, he went into the Army, tried his hand at making the U.S. wrestling team a few times, and then went to college in the late 80s/early 90s.

Couture and Tenta were born on the exact same day in the exact same year.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I don't know if I've typed this on here before but John Tenta really is a guy that if Mid-South had lasted just a little bit longer, Tenta probably gets to spend some time working there based off of his LSU experience

I could imagine John Tenta vs Dr. Death being a match that Bill Watts would want to run but those two were never in the same place for any real length of time.

Tenta did wrestle Dr. Death once.

In a 2002 Tag League match of Mike Rotundo and Dr. Death vs Tenryu and John Tenta. A match which went 6 minutes and is probably more of a novelty since all 4 of those guys were old by the time that November 29th, 2002 rolled around.

Tenta would've been Cowboy's wet dream if we was a few years younger. Big, young, agile dude with a local connection? Could have been huge.

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Tenta would've been Cowboy's wet dream if we was a few years younger. Big, young, agile dude with a local connection? Could have been huge.

considering that Tenta got hooked into Sumo in 1985, there was a window for him to have been in Mid-South but I could see why Watts would be busy with a variety of other things causing him to lose sight of guys located in Louisiana.

This being Bill Watts, i'm sure he bemoaned LSU dropping Wrestling due to Title IX on commentary sometime in 1985 during the standby match.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

considering that Tenta got hooked into Sumo in 1985, there was a window for him to have been in Mid-South but I could see why Watts would be busy with a variety of other things causing him to lose sight of guys located in Louisiana.

This being Bill Watts, i'm sure he bemoaned LSU dropping Wrestling due to Title IX on commentary sometime in 1985 during the standby match.

No bullshit, during an episode of Mid South in 1982 during like a Princess Victoria/Wendi Richter match, guest commentator BOB ROOP was talking about women's equality and how women should be treated as real athletes. IN 19 FUCKING 82.

BOB ROOP: PIONEER AND ALLY

• Like 4
  • Haha 1