DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/20 - 12/26/2023 - I'll Be Rihome for Christmas

Dolfan in NYC

The tournament has been pretty much perfectly booked leading into an absolutely perfect blue league semi-finals and an excellent gold league semis. I see the hand-wringing about it being a triple threat, but maybe let's let it play out before complaining about how terrible it is? There has to be at least a slim possibility that Mox, Swerve, and Switchblade can make it work, my dudes.

The number one thing I wanted going in was a big Dragon vs Mad King match with high stakes. We got that, and the road to getting there with both guys having to claw back from underneath after Eddie suffered a (straight up, no question, obvious) UPSET loss to  Brody King and Andrade went hard after Bryan's injured eye was f'n IDEAL booking. Really dramatic. 

The ideal finish would be Kingston fighting through Bryan and then Mox to become the first AEW Triple Crown champion, of course, but out of the six possible final matches, EVERY one of them would be good and exciting. 

Nigel was f'n OBNOXIOUS today. I guess I'm not the only one feeling that way.

Speaking of obnoxious, Lawful Metal how did so many people get involved in that "Twooo!" thing? Genuinely impressive, even if I personally didn't like it.

Some nice details on the show today:

- An incredible counter to the Giant Swing followed up by an incredible counter INTO the Giant Swing.

- EVERYBODY... is getting a little bit tired of The Acclaimed and Daddy Ass.

- Lee vs Cage was more a series of legitimately impressive strength spots than BMMSM but it was still really enjoyable.

- LOVED the huge struggle to hit the Backdrop Driver. Excellent stuff from Garcia and King. Also loved Menard playing Kobashi 6/9/95 to Garcia's Misawa in the post-match.

- The long Zombie In Peril segment leading to  a Thunderous hot tag was excellent stuff as well.

- Andrade and Kingston both did some top-shelf selling and it made the match extra dramatic. 

It's the 24th here. That show was a NICE Christmas present.

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 8

Wanted Bryan Danielson vs. Claudio Castagnoli since both joined AEW and to get time like their WWE match, Daniel Bryan vs. Cesaro on RAW, 22nd July 2013 I gave ***** to. I got that here and then some. Just wish the time limit was 30 than 20. I hope this isn't their last singles match.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Y'all were gonna start pissing me off if you did it the whole show but I didn't notice after awhile. (Wait until you get home and have to listen to insufferable Nigel's pre-written attempts at humor on commentary, which was worse. That's your punishment!)

Reveal hidden contents

Bryan makes everything better so despite my disinterest in Claudio recently, I stayed in the match. Besides they had the built in story of BCC vs. BCC. Danielson of course underlined it with the slow slide backing off after the initial lifter which was brilliant. Nice working to the tie; since they built it into the tournament it had to go somewhere and why not here? 

Caster bringing up Greg Abbott's treatment of immigrants pissed me off so I ignored their fucking match. You can go away again now Acclaimed.

Would like to have better things to say about Lee/Cage but Lee just looks huge and slow (and unhealthy) out there now after all the time off. I understand it's due to long Covid and he could have died from working out so you can't fault him. Heating up the Swerve thing... well, hate to say they might should wait on it even more after all this time, but. 

Hook had the re-up for his corner crew in the pink backpack along with his belt, apparently. 

King/Garcia was fantastic. It was an even better version of Kingston walking through the fire of Claudio and winning via fluke rollup. Looked like Brody was seriously going to kill Red Death (as Brody actually mocked him with calling him that) but he stuck it out and got what he deserved all through this tournament: a win. Plus he got to play spoiler. Fuck you House of Black! FTR also came down to rain on their parade. 

The women's match was fine. Rosa looks a little rusty and I don't know WTF her finisher used to be; whatever that was looked like a dangerous botch of a powerbomb. Abadon is surprisingly good at playing Ricky Morton. Skye is two years older than Julia? Maybe it's cuz I'm 40 now but it feels like Tony is running a sweatshop sometimes.

And then we had Andrade/King which was of course the shit. Glacial pace which served to point out that Eddie's knee is ground into powder. Andrade swearing he had the knockout blow with the elbow and his smug superiority being broken like a twig was just perfect... his facial expression was probably the best "shocked face" ever because it WASN'T a shocked face, it was this bewilderment combined with anger combined with not trying to sell it and starting to physically shake from the effort. Beautiful work. I thought they might draw it out for one more move and pinfall to stretch the drama but was perfectly fine having it end right then and there at the Northern Lights Bomb. If he didn't win, I have this little stool for looking at my records that has my remote on it and I was gonna do my own version of the table flip, hahaha. 

Wasn’t our idea they just started passing them out when we got there. Apparently just some very extra fans they wanted to make it interesting so AEW thinks San Antonio has lively crowds. 

Lawful Jr and I thought the show was great. We’re sticking around for ROH. They promised us El Hijo Vikingo

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Gordi the former AEW fan said:

The tournament has been pretty much perfectly booked leading into an absolutely perfect blue league semi-finals and an excellent gold league semis. I see the hand-wringing about it being a triple threat, but maybe let's let it play out before complaining about how terrible it is? There has to be at least a slim possibility that Mox, Swerve, and Switchblade can make it work, my dudes.

The number one thing I wanted going in was a big Dragon vs Mad King match with high stakes. We got that, and the road to getting there with both guys having to claw back from underneath after Eddie suffered a (straight up, no question, obvious) UPSET loss to  Brody King and Andrade went hard after Bryan's injured eye was f'n IDEAL booking. Really dramatic. 

The ideal finish would be Kingston fighting through Bryan and then Mox to become the first AEW Triple Crown champion, of course, but out of the six possible final matches, EVERY one of them would be good and exciting. 

Nigel was f'n OBNOXIOUS today. I guess I'm not the only one feeling that way.

Speaking of obnoxious, Lawful Metal how did so many people get involved in that "Twooo!" thing? Impressive , even if I personally didn't like it.

Some nice details on the show today:

- An incredible counter to the Giant Swing followed up by an incredible counter INTO the Giant Swing.

- EVERYBODY... is getting a little bit tired of The Acclaimed and Daddy Ass.

- Lee vs Cage was more a series of legitimately impressive strength spots than BMMSM but it was still really enjoyable.

- LOVED the huge struggle to hit the Backdrop Driver. Excellent stuff from Garcia and King. Also loved Menard playing Kobashi 6/9/95 to Garcia's Misawa in the post-match.

- The long Zombie In Peril segment leading to  a Thunderous hot tag was excellent stuff as well.

- Andrade and Kingston both did some top-shelf selling and it made the match extra dramatic. 

It's the 24th here. That show was a NICE Christmas present.

Nigel never got a proper final match and there's this really big show next year in London...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Wasn’t our idea they just started passing them out when we got there. Apparently just some very extra fans they wanted to make it interesting so AEW thinks San Antonio has lively crowds. 

Sorry, I was just being "bah humbug". It probably was a holiday thing too. Glad you're enjoying it all! 😁

What killed me about the Nigel jokes was he had one set, then another that the other two ran right over him on commentary so he couldn't get them out and then HE FORCED THEM IN AGAIN LIKE HIS TONGUE WAS A CROWBAR. I almost thought he would say "screw it" and leave it be but then he pounced from behind. You could practically see Tony's blood pressure rise. 

At one point, I think in the King/Garcia match, Kelly referenced someone weighing "half of Morishima"? Is my hearing worse than ever now or did anyone else hear something like that?

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Honestly I'd watch Andrade and Kingston do a best of 7, that ruled.

Andrade is what every guy in San Antonio thinks he looks like, and Eddie is what every guy in San Antonio actually looks like.

Fucking A what a great hard hitting match

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just... why? That's such a random and obscure reference to make. It's like calling him "a quarter of a Big Daddy" or something. 

I guess it was in relation to Brodie King's beefy body type? I haven't the foggiest since Morishima weighed more than Brodie I thought.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just... why? That's such a random and obscure reference to make. It's like calling him "a quarter of a Big Daddy" or something. 

It's because Garcia kept struggling to hit the Backdrop Driver on King. It's one of Morishima's finishing moves. They were talking about if a guy half Morishima's size could hit that move on a guy the size of King. Size/strength vs leverage. That kind of thing. I thought it was excellent commentary. Added to the match, for me. Made it even more impressive when Garcia finally hit it.

Also "Vanilla Gorilla" is pretty common football/gym slang for a beefy/powerful white guy with no back-down in his character. That made perfect sense to me as a nickname for Brian Cage 😀

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

While I don't love the triple threat booking of the Gold League with Tony being too protective of those 3 guys, the Blue League story of Kingston coming back from a bad start to win, going over Danielson and hopefully earning his respect to payoff the 'Eddie is a bum' moment, is potentially awesome. Kingston in the finals in New York will be fire, but who do you put him against? White would be good as a clean heel vs face match, but I can see them going with Swerve then having Hanger cost him the match (as alluded to in Page's promo where he said he's cost Swerve something he really cared about).

As far as the matches go, all the CC stuff was good with Bryan vs Claudio being this week's highlight. Great use of the time limit draw and smartly done with Danielson working from beneath for most of the way. The catch into the Giant Swing was awesome.

• Like 1

Coming home after watching "The Iron Claw," I needed a laugh and, believe it or not, the goofy signs on the hard cam got a chuckle from me. Sometimes, you just have to laugh.

Loved all three of the CC matches. AEW should put a timer on the screen and in the arena to let people know how long a match has gone in CC matches, particularly if you are playing off the "20 minutes means a draw" gimmick.

Good to see Rosa back, though she looked rusty and the finisher seemed botchy at first glance. Having Rosa start her comeback in her adopted hometown helped. The match also really didn't do much to promote or push Hart/Abadon, though Abby does face in peril well.

The Acclaimed six-man was a mess at the end with the announcers ignoring the possible tights pull to Dasha's mic going out mid-announcement -- half-expected the ref to re-start the match. Billy no-selling or poorly selling everything was a groan -- maybe AEW can launch its version of the Champions Tour for him and his fellow seniors. Still love Max and Anthony, but it's time for the latter to get a singles run and the former to ... hmmm ... develop a "Max Raps the Headlines" bit for CNN's morning show or something.

With Kevin and Nigel constantly screaming "DON'T DO THAT" and the like to wrestlers during matches, I eagerly await a post-match promo where a wrestler mentions that he thought about going to the top rope but, when he heard Kevin yelling "DON'T DO THAT," he realized that Kevin was right and changed his gameplan for the better.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steventon said:

While I don't love the triple threat booking of the Gold League with Tony being too protective of those 3 guys, the Blue League story of Kingston coming back from a bad start to win, going over Danielson and hopefully earning his respect to payoff the 'Eddie is a bum' moment, is potentially awesome. Kingston in the finals in New York will be fire, but who do you put him against? White would be good as a clean heel vs face match, but I can see them going with Swerve then having Hanger cost him the match (as alluded to in Page's promo where he said he's cost Swerve something he really cared about).

They could go that way, but I think Mox will go over White so that Swerve never really eats a pinfall in the tournament. Swerve's real focus is the AEW World Title, so I suspect Hanger is either going to cost him a shot at the title or the title itself. Though it looks like they are building finally to Swerve vs Lee, and Swerve losing to Lee would eat at him massively so they could do that too.

• Like 1