DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK FOURTEEN

RIPPA

The big meme going around last night is that at least for this week

If the playoffs started today - in the AFC - Seeds 4 - 7 would all be starting backup QB

For context - only one NFC playoff team would be (though the Falcons are technically using their starter but they really don't want to be)

And I haven't done this in awhile

Per Tankathon - the current Draft Order (Winning %/SOS)

• 1) Chicago (via Carolina): 1-11 (.083/.525)
  • 2) New England: 2-10 (.167/.527)
  • 3) Arizona: 3-10 (.231/.561)
  • 4) Washington: 4-9 (.308/.522)
  • 5) Chicago: 4-8 (.333/.471)
  • 6) NY Jets: 4-8 (.333/.512)
  • 7) NY Giants: 4-8 (.333/.517)
  • 8.) Tennessee: 4-8 (.333/.539)

Notes

There are 4 teams win 5 wins - that is why I stopped at 8.

Reminder that SOS is the first tiebreaker and that head to head is not used at all (hence why like the Jets are ahead of the Giants despite beating them)

Also a reminder that SOS counts all 17 games in a schedule so will change as the season goes along

Arizona and Washington are both on bye this week so the Commanders could actually drop three spots despite not playing this week

Started to open the thread but then work got busy.  Anywho...

The Jets are adamant that it was Zach's idea to start again.  And that he approached Saleh, who remained non-committal.  And lord, if that isn't the funniest and worst way to spin yourself out of this. 

• Like 1

I’ve stuck up for Zach Wilson because all he’s ever done was say 1 dumb thing. But now I just don’t know. You’re supposed to get your ass on that field if you have a chance.

That game last night was awesome except for the injuries of course. It was straight out of the 90s NFC. It had big plays, little plays, and a bunch of points but not entirely because there wasn’t defense and hard hitting. Joe and Troy did a better job that usual too. 

• Like 1

I am not saying its right or wrong but with Zach Wilson - the belief is, like college players now skipping bowls, he knows he needs to find a new club in the offseason and being hurt when a FA isn't good for business

Now, obviously, been known for not wanting to play might be considered not good for business either

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zach Wilson is awful,  but he's better than the other two active quarterbacks on the roster. 

Going back to Tua, I don't think the issue is that people don't think he's good,  it's that he isn't special. He's absolutely good enough to run this offense at a high level,  but when shit gets real,  you need a quarterback who can put the team on his back and make something out of nothing. Tua has not shown the ability to do that. There is no bigger advantage in professional football than a special quarterback. The kind of players who are more dangerous when shit goes off script,  than when everything goes as planned are the players who generally end up holding trophies, and Tua doesn't seem to be that. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Zach Wilson is awful,  but he's better than the other two active quarterbacks on the roster. 

Going back to Tua, I don't think the issue is that people don't think he's good,  it's that he isn't special. He's absolutely good enough to run this offense at a high level,  but when shit gets real,  you need a quarterback who can put the team on his back and make something out of nothing. Tua has not shown the ability to do that. There is no bigger advantage in professional football than a special quarterback. The kind of players who are more dangerous when shit goes off script,  than when everything goes as planned are the players who generally end up holding trophies, and Tua doesn't seem to be that. 

Put another way - it's easy to play quarterback when Tyreek Hill gets so open you can miss him by 10 yards and he still catches the throw. 

• Like 3

I understand Zach’s thinking. It’s similar to the college bowl thing but it’s not the same. He’s a young professional football player who’s not a rookie. Just not playing is never the answer for a normal young healthy professional football player who’s not a rookie. He’s going to find that out soon when nobody wants his ass. He’s as dang dumb as Johnny Football, just a little less dramatic. 

I’m not a Dolphin fan or a fan of that weirdo coach everybody likes but I am a fan of their thinking lately. They’re doing what works and they’re not going to quit doing it until somebody stops it. We’ve talked many times about how not enough of that goes on when you’re supposedly trying to win the game. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I understand Zach’s thinking. It’s similar to the college bowl thing but it’s not the same. He’s a young professional football player who’s not a rookie. Just not playing is never the answer for a normal young healthy professional football player who’s not a rookie. He’s going to find that out soon when nobody wants his ass. He’s as dang dumb as Johnny Football, just a little less dramatic. 

Yeah, when you're supposedly auditioning for other jobs, showing a reluctance to perform is certainly......... a choice. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dewar said:

How are the Pats going to score 11? 🤣

How are the Steelers going to score 15?   😔    I mean usually the Tomlin "playing down to the level of their opponents" shit doesn't happen 2 weeks in a row but man that Cardinals game was so damn bad

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

How are the Steelers going to score 15?   😔    I mean usually the Tomlin "playing down to the level of their opponents" shit doesn't happen 2 weeks in a row but man that Cardinals game was so damn bad

You keep saying that the Steelers are playing down to the level of their competition, but I don't see any evidence that the Steelers are particularly good at anything other than having TJ Watt.  The Steelers offense is truly awful, their defense isn't much better, and they've pulled 100% of their wins straight out of their ass.  

• Like 1

this matchup is best chance we've ever had for my dream result of a 2-0 OT game that ends on Holding In The Endzone for a Safety.

And there'd be no better timeslot for that to happen in than the Thursday Night game the league's desperately trying to trick people into paying for access to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Stillers get 15 via - TD with PAT, 2 Field Goals and a safety.

Pats get to 11 via - FG and TD with 2 point conversion.

59 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Jets announce that Zach Wilson is indeed the starter for Sunday

It looks like Aaron has stopped returning Saleh's calls because Zach is also the starter now for the rest of the season. 

Ugh, they'd better not get Harbaugh when they fire Saleh this offseason.. 

• Like 1