DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK TEN

Dolfan in NYC

Oh this idiot really is gonna try it...

I'll note... "A few weeks" is the probably the Black Friday game against Miami. 🤨

• Haha 1

Hoo Boy - so...

JC Jackson was such a bad signing for the Chargers that the GM actually apologized to the team secondary for bringing him in

The Chargers dumped him on the Pats and he is now literally New England's problem

Patriots cornerback J.C. Jackson, who was demoted from the starting lineup in Sunday's loss to the Commanders, is not expected to travel with the team to Frankfurt, Germany, for Sunday's game against the Colts, a source confirmed.

NFL Network first reported that Jackson won't travel for the game, citing questions about his reliability. A source told ESPN that Jackson missed curfew at the team hotel Saturday. SI.com had previously reported that Jackson was late to the hotel.

Also - I had mentioned this at the end of last week's thread but the Giants officially announced that Tommy DeVito will start this week

That will set the NFL record (at 10) for most rookie QBs to start in a single season

• Like 1

Notable, Devito is the first undrafted rookie to start for an NFL team ever (in a non-strike year).

And for the other New York team, Saleh is sticking with Zach Wilson for now.  When Zach gets benched, the current backup is Tim Boyle.  

Tim Boyle completed 55.5% of his passes with 12 touchdowns and 26 interceptions. In college. How did this guy get into the NFL?

In the NFL he's averaged 5.4 yards an attempt and despite apparently never throwing the ball downfield has three touchdowns and 8 interceptions in his career. How is this guy still in the NFL?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Notable, Devito is the first undrafted rookie to start for an NFL team ever (in a non-strike year).

Not quite - that stat is specific to the Giants franchise

Tyson Bagent went undrafted and has been starting for the Bears the last few weeks (as an example)

Oh and also there are people named Kurt Warner, Tony Romo and Warren Moon

27 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Not quite - that stat is specific to the Giants franchise

Tyson Bagent went undrafted and has been starting for the Bears the last few weeks (as an example)

Oh and also there are people named Kurt Warner, Tony Romo and Warren Moon

I blame Bruce Beck on WNBC.   For a lot of things.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Tim Boyle completed 55.5% of his passes with 12 touchdowns and 26 interceptions. In college. How did this guy get into the NFL?

In the NFL he's averaged 5.4 yards an attempt and despite apparently never throwing the ball downfield has three touchdowns and 8 interceptions in his career. How is this guy still in the NFL?

The man must know how to hold a clip board. Does Peterman still have a job? Maybe he shares the naked pics he has of someone. . . .

11 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

The man must know how to hold a clip board. Does Peterman still have a job? Maybe he shares the naked pics he has of someone. . . .

Peterman is technically the third string QB in Chicago - so he has actually been the backup the last few weeks

At least Peterman in college threw 47 touchdowns against 17 picks. He's been terrible in the NFL, and I don't know how he's still getting paychecks, but at least I understand how he got into the league in the first place.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Over/under on Bryce Young being in the league in three years time?

I'd take the over.

Unless there's off field issues I'm pretty sure at least one more team will take a shot at him even if he is a complete bust in Carolina (also, I'd like to see how the plays with better weapons and blocking before I completely write him off.)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'd take the over.

Unless there's off field issues I'm pretty sure at least one more team will take a shot at him even if he is a complete bust in Carolina (also, I'd like to see how the plays with better weapons and blocking before I completely write him off.)

I'll take the over, but getting his 5th year option picked up is another question.

• Like 1

Almost no Top 10 QB draft pick is gone after three years. Even Josh Rosen was still in the league (somewhere) until last year so he lasted five years floating around. I think you have to go back as far as JaMarcus Russell to find a QB drafted in the Top 10 that only lasted three years in the league, top QB draft picks will always be given more chances than other positions to hold a clipboard or be on the practice squad. 

So I don't think Bryce Young is going to be out of the league on his rookie contract but how long of a chance he gets as a starter is a different story. Barring injury, I think he'll get at least two years as a starter. One change now since the Russell era is the change in practice squad rules, the fact teams can have a veteran on the practice squad regardless of accrued seasons means high draft picks will be given more chances to just hang around for the year which wasn't possible in the old days. I bet Russell would have found a practice squad spot in 2010 if it was allowed.

• Like 2

Yeah - the only examples I can find since 2000 of a QB first round draft pick not playing at least 4 years are either due to injury, off field issues (think Johnny Manziel) or tragedy (Dwayne Haskins)

And that number is like 5 or 6 total

• Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 1:58 AM, Travis Sheldon said:

I saw 6 dead deer on or in the road on my way to work last week.

They all had more situational awareness than Zach Wilson.

That game Monday night was Garoppolo-level bad.

Can't wait to see Rodgers hobbled, again, by that O-line.

Was it really that much worse than Rodgers in games with any pressure? The answer is no, not because it wasn’t worse, but it wasn’t much worse. Troy even said it kinda.