DVDVR Message Board

November 2023 Wrestling Talk

1 hour ago, FourPostMassacre said:

All this Hansen bathroom talk had me trying to find his scene from No Holds Barred where he inspects the two corporate guys “Teeny Weenys” in the bathroom but no luck and besides who could forget that?! 

Ahem.  It was TEENY WANGERS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, (BP) said:

To quote the Deadlock boys, “This is the least cool man in the history of wrestling, how did he change the industry twice?”

He was the coolest guy in pro wrestling until his fanbase started to age out. Then, he was able double dip cause those that despised him post Zahorian/Arsenio Hall appearance came around to seeing him portray himself as a heel they thought he should be. It ain't the most complicated thing to figure out.

• Like 5

The Best Live Experiences thread reminded me of maybe the most baffling wrestling related experience of my life, which doesn't quite fit in there.

I'd gone to New Orleans for Wrestlemania 34 in 2018, not a good Wrestlemania, but the one that I get to say I have physically attended. When I was emptying my pockets for the security pat down/scan, I take out my Kindle to put in the little tray. The security guard looks at it with total astonishment and says, 'Y'all READ?!'

At the time and for years afterwards, I assumed she was just confused and disgusted that anybody might read for pleasure, and maybe that seeing this Kindle had affirmed everything she had ever believed about the effete, intellectual degenerates that they produce over in England.

On more recent reflection though, I've begun to wonder whether I was being uncharitable to Americans, and the thing that really blew a fuse in her brain was the very idea of a non-illiterate fan of professional wrestling.

• Haha 2

Yeah, I don't remember Hogan being in the Wolfpack as I believe Nash, Hall, and Syxx (before he was gone from WCW) were considered the Wolfpack before the actual Wolfpack. Hogan did the brothers and sisters on the street thing once or twice in late 1997 or early 1998 to kinda humor himself cause I think Nash was ribbing him for not being cool cause he didn't listen to Tupac (lol). Once Nash, Savage, and Konnan break away to form the Wolfpack, he starts doing it a lot more and by late 1998 it's damn near every episode. I think he's doing it to pop himself cause I am not sure the crowd knew what to make of "Wood" and "Woody". For a very juvenile crowd, he's lobbing softballs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Log said:

Was the Cena/Orton/Batista/Lesner "class" the last one in WWE that kept their real names?

Cody and Ted Jr? (If you consider Cody Rhodes his “real name”) 

Edited by odessasteps

11 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

“Okay Hulk, let’s talk people into seeing this dream match with Ric Flair”

“YO HOMEBOY, RIC FLAIR, WELCOME TO THE HOOD”

Cause the boys in da hood are always hard, 

Come talking that trash we steal your Vitamins and make you say your prayers

Knowing nothing in life but to be legit don’t quote me brother I ain’t said DOOKIE

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

The Best Live Experiences thread reminded me of maybe the most baffling wrestling related experience of my life, which doesn't quite fit in there.

I'd gone to New Orleans for Wrestlemania 34 in 2018, not a good Wrestlemania, but the one that I get to say I have physically attended. When I was emptying my pockets for the security pat down/scan, I take out my Kindle to put in the little tray. The security guard looks at it with total astonishment and says, 'Y'all READ?!'

At the time and for years afterwards, I assumed she was just confused and disgusted that anybody might read for pleasure, and maybe that seeing this Kindle had affirmed everything she had ever believed about the effete, intellectual degenerates that they produce over in England.

On more recent reflection though, I've begun to wonder whether I was being uncharitable to Americans, and the thing that really blew a fuse in her brain was the very idea of a non-illiterate fan of professional wrestling.

Reminds me of when at the old house I was renting, a friend of mine looked at a bookcase I had and said "I can't believe you have Bret Hart right next to Nietzsche". 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, I don't remember Hogan being in the Wolfpack as I believe Nash, Hall, and Syxx (before he was gone from WCW) were considered the Wolfpack before the actual Wolfpack. Hogan did the brothers and sisters on the street thing once or twice in late 1997 or early 1998 to kinda humor himself cause I think Nash was ribbing him for not being cool cause he didn't listen to Tupac (lol). Once Nash, Savage, and Konnan break away to form the Wolfpack, he starts doing it a lot more and by late 1998 it's damn near every episode. I think he's doing it to pop himself cause I am not sure the crowd knew what to make of "Wood" and "Woody". For a very juvenile crowd, he's lobbing softballs.

and at the time, all of it was cringe AF 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, I wouldn't count Cody cause that's not his real name.

Batista is an alternate spelling so I don't think you can count him either.

I know Batista is different, but I meant guys that used something resembling their name.  Not like Dolph Ziggler or Dean Ambrose or Bronn Breaker or whatever.

45 minutes ago, JLowe said:

and at the time, all of it was cringe AF 

He had a very difficult time pivoting away from Hollywood Hogan Plays the Hits as time progressed.

17 minutes ago, Log said:

I know Batista is different, but I meant guys that used something resembling their name.  Not like Dolph Ziggler or Dean Ambrose or Bronn Breaker or whatever.

I mean they still have people slip through the cracks. I mean I am surprised Shayna Baszler wasn't renamed like Petunia McGillicutty or some shit. Nash and Hall came back under their real names in 2002. I think technically they always went with reconfiguring names (Dave Bautista -> Batista) or straight up different names all together unless you were willing to sign over rights to your real name. The late era OVW (end of Cornette to when he got fired) on is when their roster was huge post WCW/WWF but then they also had two developmental promotions. Therefore, a lot of those wrestlers started out using names given to them as opposed to previous generations where you still had a bunch of gimmicks but you had a lot more people using their real names or something approximating their real names (Rick Rude, Ric Flair, etc.) they used everywhere. It was going to become a lot more noticeable that folks were using a really fake name someone else clearly came up with. 

Thing is though who outside of the Hart family and Bob Backlund was using their real name in 1995/1996 WWF?

Even with Rock in late 96, they started combining shit like Freddie Joe Floyd being the names of both of Brisco brothers.