DVDVR Message Board

The Termination of CM Punk by The Coward Tony Khan

Elsalvajeloco

I saw GWAR a bunch of times. I was obsessed with them in high school. First time I saw them was when I was 18 or 19 at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park. All of these dudes hopped over the railing and onto the stage and started attacking GWAR. Utter madness. My buddy knew some of the dudes involved in the attack — crust type kids from the Jersey Shore (which was an area where things always ended up just a bit further than they should have.) He asked why they fought GWAR. The answer will stay with me forerver:

”They’re trying to conquer earth.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

GWAR were actually one of the first bands I bought tapes of (This Toilet Earth, Ragnarok). I was influenced by what I saw on Beavis and Butthead and I liked horror movies, so it worked for me... for like, a couple months, until their "songwriting" "talents" were no longer apparent. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

GWAR were actually one of the first bands I bought tapes of (This Toilet Earth, Ragnarok). I was influenced by what I saw on Beavis and Butthead and I liked horror movies, so it worked for me... for like, a couple months, until their "songwriting" "talents" were no longer apparent. 

Their restaurant sucks too.

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait... so... really? 

https://gwarbar.com/

Well if you really wanna eat from someone named Chef Balsac then be my guest.

To clarify, I did not intentionally eat from Chef Balsac's bill of fare. The group I was with wanted to go and I didn't want to seem like a spoilsport, and the lesson here was to be a spoilsport from time to time because my gosh was it bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I have to ask: What did you have?

And I mean really, I wouldn't have anything against anyone who wanted to try it. Who knows? Maybe a lifetime of restaurant service from some people isn't quite as debauched as I'm led to believe. 

The buffalo cauliflower wings (disgusting) and the fried mushrooms (passable). The rest of the group I was with had burgers and said they were fine, but I now consider them to be untrustworthy! Maybe I should've gotten the seitan.

I'm not trying to run some anti-vegan game here, but I just don't really see how cauliflower wings can really be good. Okay that's not true, I can see how some top-level Heston I'm Hard Pierre Berzatto-type might be able to deliver the goods but going to some random joint and expecting them to throw down....yeah I dunno.

4 minutes ago, StretchMediatedHypertrophy said:

I'm not trying to run some anti-vegan game here, but I just don't really see how cauliflower wings can really be good. Okay that's not true, I can see how some top-level Heston I'm Hard Pierre Berzatto-type might be able to deliver the goods but going to some random joint and expecting them to throw down....yeah I dunno.

Cauliflower wings are just a sauce delivery mechanism. All cauliflower wings taste pretty much the same in my experience. If the sauce is no good, then it doesn't matter if it's on cauliflower or chicken, it's going to be bad. This buffalo sauce was the worst sauce I've ever had.

• Like 7

GWAR will always have my respect for going on an episode of Springer about "shock rock" and completely winning the crowd over, as well as supporting a young fan of theirs who also guested and totally made some legit hate rock douchebag look like a fool. 

• Like 2

I saw GWAR on The Sounds of the Underground tour in 2005. It was a 12 hour show headlined by Lamb of God. Like a moron, I got shitfaced the night before and thus forgot about wearing sunblock in July in a New Jersey parking lot. I ended up looking like a lobster. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, StretchMediatedHypertrophy said:

Whilst as a Brit my Buffalo Stance may not exactly be authoritative, I like my sauce (like my 'chips') vinegary but I can't imagine wanting the same sauce if it was cauliflower & not fatty chicken meat underneath. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Oh, I caught that Neneh Cherry reference...

For vegan buffalo sauce delivery I recommend a mushroom "wing" over  a cauliflower "wing" every time. This push of cauliflower as the one true king of substantial veg must be stopped.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

For vegan buffalo sauce delivery I recommend a mushroom "wing" over  a cauliflower "wing" every time. This push of cauliflower as the one true king of substantial veg must be stopped.

I agree with this like 99% of the time. Cauliflower tends to have breading adhere to it a little bit better but that's about all it has going for it over mushrooms. Mushrooms are also way better unsauced compared to cauliflower.

When my body stopped being able to digest pork, being able to turn to pulled mushroom BBQ to replace pulled pork sandwiches was a gamechanger, tbh.

• Like 1

I've eaten at Gwarbar several times and it's always been great. Then again I didn't try any of the meat substitute dishes. My friend I was there with one time got one of the seitan burgers and said it was great, so I took her word for it. There's interesting memorabilia all over the place and there was a steady diet of good quality metal and hardcore on the PA.

• Like 1

You'd think vegan bar food variations would be simple but it certainly doesn't sound that way. 

I woulda went with the seitan burger, or if portabello burger was an option or a decently seasoned cauliflower burger. Never tried buffalo chicken variations but I can't see substituting butter in a buffalo sauce working. 

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You'd think vegan bar food variations would be simple but it certainly doesn't sound that way. 

I woulda went with the seitan burger, or if portabello burger was an option or a decently seasoned cauliflower burger. Never tried buffalo chicken variations but I can't see substituting butter in a buffalo sauce working. 

Yeah, most places think margarine is an acceptable swap, and you can imagine how well THAT works. I'm like 99% sure the buffalo sauce was Tabasco and margarine.

• Sad 1

On 9/9/2023 at 8:34 AM, Sublime said:

Flogging Molly pits are crazy. I started their set in the front and ended up in the pit and despite my best efforts I bailed by the end of the second song. Those folks were wild, I preferred to stand to the side and enjoy the music much better than feeling like I was fighting for my life.

This wasn't even a pit. This was the entire floor crowd trying to squeeze themselves into one person.

This reminds me, has anyone ate at Kuma's Corner before? They're a metal-oriented burger/sandwich restaurant with two Chicago locations and now a Schaumberg and an Indy one. All the burgers are named after different bands and bands even come in and have their own coined after them. https://kumascorner.com/ I would have been before but they're staggeringly expensive, plus reading that menu I can never figure out the perfect band-to-burger ratio to order. Like, I don't want to get a great burger that's named after some metalcore band I've never listened to, just doesn't feel kosher. 

• Haha 1