DVDVR Message Board

Most Satisfying Payback/Vengeance Moments (Spoilers)

Thomas Bugg

This thread is probably going to be filled with Quentin Tarantino moments, but I'll start it off by including this gratifying moment from Sleepers, where John and Tommy get revenge on that sick piece of crap Nokes for abusing them when they were locked up in juvie. Kevin Bacon played that role to the hilt.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=a3JNpXiS-14DuRRj&v=l8Y3__tBwO8&feature=youtu.be

Also gotta mention this one from Sicario. I don't condone the killing of innocent people, especially children, but considering what Alejandro went through at the hands of Alarcón, it's par for the course. I like how Alarćon's wife just KNEW they were doomed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs5UwKqzzV8&pp=ygUUc2ljYXJpbyBkaW5uZXIgc2NlbmU%3D

• Like 1

The ending of I Saw The Devil is a great revenge moment because it is so realistic.  The audience may be happy about the manner in which the killer finally got his after murdering and dismembering the hero's bride-to-be, but the hero (an intelligence officer for the SK government) ends up a broken man because he has had to become a monster in order to stop one and knows the killer's death won't bring back the woman he loved.  It is so heartbreaking and awesome.

Revenge may be a dish best served cold, but it is not food that nourishes the soul.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Assuming this extends to television, not much tops “Get on with it, motherfu—“ from The Wire. 

God yes

"You still don't get it, do you, huh? This ain't about your money, brah. Ya boy gave you up. That's right. And we ain't have to torture his ass, neither!"

(It took me many viewings before I realized he said "torture" instead of "torch", and was referring to Brandon. I am a fool.)

• Like 2

I guess we're asking about "Most Satisfying" because it's undeniable what movie qualifies for "Least Satisfying", assuming you've seen it (and lots of you have).  But if you haven't, the # 1 With Many Bullets Winner is...

Death Wish

All that crazy bullshit, and not one thin stick of it has anything directly to do with his family!  Zero!  Maybe the other four (how the fuck did that justify 4?!?! sequels?!?!) eventually circle back, but I'm seriously doubting it ever does.

I finally watched it last week because it's on Prime and I thought, "Well, how bad can it be, after I've heard all the reviews about how it changed American society and it had this weird sociological impact on people and whatnot," and...it wasn't that bad.  The big, awful moment of the movie is pretty awful, but it isn't *that* graphic, and I'm no sleaze connoisseur, so even when you adjust for the era, I don't think it was particularly appalling.  Hell, there's a somewhat similar (though considerably less violent) scene in an old Arnold movie, End of Days, that isn't as visually degrading but the implications of that scene are way, way, way more disturbing and would still be even if Gabriel Byrne's character weren't Satan.  But aside from what it's famous for, the movie itself is actually a bit more thought-provoking than I expected, even if it is a pretty straightforward hash-out of 70s New Yorker angst about crime.  All that said, I definitely won't view Jeff Goldblum the same ever again (though I have always viewed him as immensely creepy in everything).

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

Death Wish 2, from what I recall of it, is much more downbeat and uncomfortable than the first one, which I also consider a hard watch anymore. Then you get the glorious OTT nature of 3 and the similar but lesser vibe of 4 and 5, which are still worth watching. It's kind of night and day, because Cannon turned it into a complete cartoon versus the Bernard Goetz nastiness that Michael Winner had it aiming for.

I just put "revenge movies" in the Google and damn we are forgetting a lot of shit. How about the prom scene in Carrie? The execution of the bosses of the Five Families in The Godfather? Hell, the execution of Solozzo and McCluskey in the restaurant? 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT

The last segment in Tales from the Crypt (1972). 

Tales from the Crypt (1972) Review |

Beat THAT.

"Happy Valentine's Day!  You were mean and cruel right from the start.  Now you really have no.." comes pretty close and that story is also in this wonderful anthology, but nothing tops the revenge moment in this sooooo very EC Comics style tale.  This was so mean spirited.  The Major got EXACTLY what was coming to him.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

The Grimsdyke tale was sad, sad, sad, especially because save for the kids and the poverty Peter was essentially playing himself. He never got over the death of his wife and suffered for years. Now the blind home story was MAD, MAD, MAD in comparison. That thing just pulsates with anger. 

• Like 1

Might be recency bias, but I just finished Season 5 of my Justified rewatch and Raylan standing over Daryl Crowe (Michael Rapaport) as he's bleeding out after Raylan's machinations led to Wendy shooting Daryl....

"Didn't I tell you that you'd wish it was me that killed you?"

Cold blooded and satisfying considering what a massive scumbag Rappaort was that season(perfectly played)