DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2023

Dolfan in NYC

14 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Anyway, I've seen The Iron Savages now a few times and the gimmick is not an improvement on Bear Country. However, if they insist on being the way they are now, at least tweak the gimmick into Cocaine Bear Country!

I think that was my first time seeing these protein swilling, booty eating, big beef daddys since the gimmick change. Really seemed to be working hard since they made TV.  hope they get some Rampage time!

Also In my head cannon Dario Cueto is Jose's Tio

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

I think that was my first time seeing these protein swilling, booty eating, big beef daddys since the gimmick change. Really seemed to be working hard since they made TV.  hope they get some Rampage time!

I know people are getting tired of me saying this, because I do it every single time I see them on TV or at a live show, but I will only observe them as BC. They can scream it all they want, that other dude can yell it on the house mic all the way down the God damn aisle - it will never happen in this household. Bear Country 4 Life.

Also, re: item #2 - that's fucking brilliant, and even if he never comes in, I hope there's at least a throwaway line on TV about it like 'Tio, they aren't ready for the temple - I have to go, the boss is calling' or something.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zendragon said:

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at Jacked Jameson constantly getting knocked off the apron and looking pretty useless? I think that was the premise in other trios matches as well. It's like they are making an effort not to give him anything during matches. And he is only really JACKED one! I mean look at his name!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One thing that's brutally apparent right now is how big a mistake it would be to go to more PPVs a year, no matter if WBD wants it or not. (I mean, before the renewal you kind of have to do whatever they want, right, because that's the point, but...?). Dynamite always feels rushed and exhausting but at least there was the pull of long matches and long matches that are more or less for the sake of themselves. Wonderful wrestling for the sake of wrestling. It was always a promotion where rematches were so rare that they tended to have a number after them when announced. Sometimes they left things on the vine and didn't lean in enough but they never leaned in so much that anything got old. If there's more of a need to churn to the next PPV month after month, I think that dies. Some of that is because Khan's booking deficiencies but some is just the nature of those needs. 2021 Dynamite was, in many ways, a luxury.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I got you - I was just coming to post about it:

MJF is mostly in character, but still entertaining. And y'know...say what you will about Cole's wrestling, but between this and his video gaming stuff, he never fails to come across as anything less than friendly and personable.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

October 1st in Seattle will be WrestleDream. New PPV in honour of Inoki. We’re getting closer to monthly. 

Forbidden Door: Autumn!!!!!!!!

I hope we get a large Antonio Inoki Cup

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

It’s difficult to buy PPV’s back to back. I’m assuming they’re making money. Plus side, first Forbidden Door made tv awkward but the second go around it was a tad better (mostly injures but I think storytelling got jumbled outside of that, if I recall correctly). So next year I have a higher bar but who know, it could be neat. 

20 minutes ago, Octopus said:

It’s difficult to buy PPV’s back to back. I’m assuming they’re making money. 

IIRC (and if I’m misremembering, someone please correct me) Tony said at one point during the scrum that they’re making a profit off the house alone next weekend and he could make nothing off of PPV buys and still be good. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If they're doing an Inoki show I want it to be a one-night tournament under Different Style Rules. Put Punk in against a Dutch kickboxer, Orange in against a sumo, etc. 

Swerve vs a Capoeira expert? Could also be a great use of Hager.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If they're doing an Inoki show I want it to be a one-night tournament under Different Style Rules. Put Punk in against a Dutch kickboxer, Orange in against a sumo, etc. 

Tony Khan slaps everybody 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3